How and when will the season end ?

4 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's not up to the football authorities. The country is closed down for 2 months at least. The season is over. Football is not important. 

Totally agree. I dont even bother to put sky sports news on anymore as everything just seems totally irrelevant. Not that there is much news to report mind. 

Think myself, the powers that be will postpone this season and resume next season.

Next season's fixtures will be abandoned...maybe cup ties, friendlies only.

Players contracts etc etc will be up to individual clubs to sort out. Will have to play with what available..same for all...except for the prem..whom will be able to afford to do wtf they like.

5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Think myself, the powers that be will postpone this season and resume next season.

Players contracts etc etc will be up to individual clubs to sort out. Will have to play with what available..same for all...except for the prem..whom will be able to afford to do wtf they like.

I reckon you might be right

36 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Where are the clubs going to get their income from next season?

Void this season, clubs have already lost income this season , why continue that into next season as well

Start next season when they can and lets start afresh with nothing carrying on from this season

Edited by the third man

11 minutes ago, the third man said:

Start next season when they can and lets start afresh with nothing carrying on from this season

I think next season is not a given either. Besides what's happening in Europe, if this Virus take off in Africa it'll be a nightmare, and then there's South America - both have so much true poverty and poor health care. There are so many foreign players in our  Leagues now that alot of them won't be available for months to come.

2 hours ago, the third man said:

So we are not scrapping this season altogether, but adding this seasons points up to now onto next seasons, the only way that is fair is if the rest of this seasons matches are completed with the same players as teams have now, or just count the first matches against each team this season and add those points onto next seasons

But how many teams will vote for that, not the ones who aren't at the top and certainly not the ones at the bottom of the leagues

for starters some have played a game less like pigs .so how you could have a season with a certain amount of points extra is impossible, plus some teams have more home games than away ,some teams have an easy run in  where some have to play top 2 . if the season ends it will completely restart from zero next season . there are a whole host of reasons why season is over. no way will there be police or ambulance cover for one.  they greedy gets need to get players to agree to wave 50% of there wages ,in turn sky bt wont pay 15-20% of what they owe leagues. but for them to agree to that im not holding my breath. 

35 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I think next season is not a given either. Besides what's happening in Europe, if this Virus take off in Africa it'll be a nightmare, and then there's South America - both have so much true poverty and poor health care. There are so many foreign players in our  Leagues now that alot of them won't be available for months to come.

I think next season they need to scrap league cup , and international weekend breaks as there wont be any flights for maybe 12-18 months minimum ,unless everyone gets tested before entry into any country. also these spare dates would be needed as if any club has an outbreak they wont play for 2 weeks. 

Option 1 - Finish this season whenever we can play football again. The only seasons struck from the records are the ones not played yet which is fair. No lawsuits. 

Option 2 - Void this season and start the next season when that can start. The seasons struck from the records include one that was almost finished. Massive lawsuits.

Option 3 - Call the league tables finalised as they stand. Promote teams in automatic places. No relegations. PL - 22, Championship 24, League One 24, League Two 22 whenever we can start the following season. Adjust number of teams in league through tweaked promotion and relegation rules in future seasons. Limited law suits. 

There really is no rush to make a decision. That would be different if this were the only country dealing with the virus but that fact that all major European Leagues and other global leagues have stopped means there's no rush to play the games to keep up with dependencies like European Football and international competitions. 

The only people demanding the season to be voided are those like us who are in turmoil. I could understand if we were only halfway through the season but voiding in my opinion is the worst option in almost any future eventuality. 

By the time football starts again a few clubs will probably have gone bust in all divisions except the prem. If that is the case, how can the leagues possibly start from where they are paused at now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

Option 1 - Finish this season whenever we can play football again. The only seasons struck from the records are the ones not played yet which is fair. No lawsuits. 

With which players, contracts run out at the end of June, cant see any football before then

Option 2 - Void this season and start the next season when that can start. The seasons struck from the records include one that was almost finished. Massive lawsuits.

Who are they going to sue? whose fault is it?

A decision to void will be a majority vote

Option 3 - Call the league tables finalised as they stand. Promote teams in automatic places. No relegations. PL - 22, Championship 24, League One 24, League Two 22 whenever we can start the following season. Adjust number of teams in league through tweaked promotion and relegation rules in future seasons. Limited law suits. 

How can you call a league before it ends, what about the teams who will be relegated, the ones who wont be promoted who could be

There really is no rush to make a decision. That would be different if this were the only country dealing with the virus but that fact that all major European Leagues and other global leagues have stopped means there's no rush to play the games to keep up with dependencies like European Football and international competitions. 

The decision has to be made before the end of June at the latest, not that long

One decision needs to be made whether to extend the season past the first of June, the rules say it has to be completed by then

The only people demanding the season to be voided are those like us who are in turmoil. I could understand if we were only halfway through the season but voiding in my opinion is the worst option in almost any future eventuality. 

I would imagine the teams who could be relegated will be wanting it void, and the ones who could be promoted, who wont be might also want a clean start again next season

if the leagues cant be completed before the 30th June when contracts run out then it would make a mockery of the league, teams playing without the players who should have been playing, teams playing with a better squad

some teams might not even exist anymore, do the points they got / didn't get still be on record or do their matches get expunged from the records

too many variables, it needs to called now so that some sort of plan can be put forward for next season

Edited by the third man

5 minutes ago, the third man said:

if the leagues cant be completed before the 30th June when contracts run out then it would make a mockery of the league, teams playing without the players who should have been playing, teams playing with a better squad

some teams might not even exist anymore, do the points they got / didn't get still be on record or do their matches get expunged from the records

too many variables, it needs to called now so that some sort of plan can be put forward for next season

As you rightly point out indirectly there is no perfect solution. All the leagues and players are in it together. Contract extensions can be sorted out.

Most of the criticisms you raise don't go away if we void the season. Clubs will still go bust, whatever is decided will be deemed farcical by some. Look at the reaction to the voiding of teams below the national league, imagine the reaction in the Prem. 

You can sue the decision makers, the Premier league, the EFL and the FA if you think what they decide is unfair. The least amount of complaints would from Option 1 if clubs were kept afloat like other businesses and you can sort the small problem of extensions to player contracts. Where are these players going to go if they don't open a transfer window... 

And why are we even sorting next season out when we haven't got the faintest clue when that will start? There is no rush to make a decision.

The Premier League and EFL has already changed the rule you quote to finishing the season when it can be  indefinitely, as their preference.

I'm also told there is a law that can determine final league positions based on 75% of games completed. If there are no relegations then all those threatened by relegation would vote for it, all the teams who are in automatics would vote for it and all those safe or miles off the play offs would vote for it. The only ones who wouldn't might be those in the play offs or genuinely battling for future European places but even then they might look at it and think Meh. They might try a legal case but they can't prove that they were almost certainly denied, unlike Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Leeds, West Brom, Coventry, Swindon etc. 

6 hours ago, the third man said:

that would roughly half teams income for a full season, not sure many clubs could cope with that, unless players took a 50% pay cut for a season

You seem to be finding a lot of problems without offering a solution.

The scenario you are quoting would be a sensible way to make the best of being able to play some games if we can't play til Jan 2021.

Otherwise you are effectively saying that should football be allowed again midway through when next season is supposed to take place then we would scrap it til August. A lot less games and even less money for clubs to pay the players would then be the case. 

The situation remains so fluid that there is no point abandoning something to start the next thing afresh and on time when no one even knows if that will be possible.

I accept that voiding this season would suit us great, possibly from relegation but it still isn't the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

You seem to be finding a lot of problems without offering a solution.

The scenario you are quoting would be a sensible way to make the best of being able to play some games if we can't play til Jan 2021.

Otherwise you are effectively saying that should football be allowed again midway through when next season is supposed to take place then we would scrap it til August. A lot less games and even less money for clubs to pay the players would then be the case. 

The situation remains so fluid that there is no point abandoning something to start the next thing afresh and on time when no one even knows if that will be possible.

I accept that voiding this season would suit us great, possibly from relegation but it still isn't the right thing to do. 

I am not saying it because of our situation, and yes I am seeing problems because they are there.

Speedway has said they are not looking at starting until mid June at the earliest, a sensible approach

If that's the case then the big problem is contracts, unless all players want to extend on their current terms, and why should someone accept a short term contract on current terms when they hold all the cards and can ask for what they want

So yes I have no solution except to abandon the league and hopefully start again in September, hopefully after a full pre season

If I’m honest, I can’t see next season being scheduled to start in August/September. If we do start a new season in the next 12 months then I think it will start around this Christmas at the earliest but that will only be if this season is deemed null and void. 

I can’t see football being played for six months at least and that might be optimistic on my part. I think FIFA, UEFA, the FA, Premier League and Football League will have to get really creative if they decide to finish off this season and have a full 20/21 season. Maybe they will have to schedule games like they schedule group stages in tournaments i.e. a game every three days but with all games taking place on the same day and at the time per league. 

Two things stand out here as significant issues: 

1. Player contracts 
  2. Loss of income

1. It was stated on 5Live the other day that FIFA and UEFA are currently determining what to do about player contracts in respect to whether they can be extended beyond 30th June. It is obvious that this decision will be taken after considering the legal consequences of not only extending current contracts but delaying the start date of new contracts. 

2. I believe that it is now time for football’s fat cats to filter some money down to the lower leagues. I acknowledge that the PL and FL are two different entities but I can’t see how the PL exists without the FL given theatre the PL “narrative” is to some extent based upon the fairytale of teams and players from the lower leagues working hard to get to the Premier League; lose the lower leagues and that PL narrative is somewhat diminished. 

Season void for us. Possible (if they find a few weeks) the Prem does something different for top of the league places but no relegation.

If the season is void I guess any FFP punishment for us will be waiting start of next season.

Better than the leagues finishing as they stood incase they gave us enough points to relegate us with no ability to play our way out. If no deduction great, nothing left to play for anyway.

41 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Season void for us. Possible (if they find a few weeks) the Prem does something different for top of the league places but no relegation.

If the season is void I guess any FFP punishment for us will be waiting start of next season.

Better than the leagues finishing as they stood incase they gave us enough points to relegate us with no ability to play our way out. If no deduction great, nothing left to play for anyway.

What ever decisions are made will be possibly subject to legal challenge so impossible decisions to make. One thing is for sure they will take this opportunity to get rid of the league cup. The big clubs don’t want it, and this gives them the excuse to ditch it.