scilly owl

How and when will the season end ?

This season won’t ever get finished if you think otherwise your deluded there’s got to be a cut off point when a decision needs taking can’t see this virus ending anytime soon how long do you leave it ? Say it lasts another 1-2 months the players need to do a mini pre season again before games get played & that’s before fixtures get rearranged & the longer it goes on it has a knock on effect on to next season starting 

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

Of course there is a point to ending the season now. It would give clubs/players and fans a piece of mind and let everyone know where they stand instead of dragging it out and prolonging the uncertainty. Football is secondary right now and is not going to return anytime soon so it makes no sense giving false hope

There's so much more going on in my life than than worrying about whether or when football is going to come back. It will give me no "peace of mind" whatsoever whether they announce they'll continue it, void it or take the current status as the end of season placing. In the greater scheme of things it simply doesn't matter and it will come out in the wash whenever they feel in a position to make a decision. Just leave them to it. 

Hopefully it will be abandoned.

Scum wont be promoted.

Victims wont win premier league.

Our disaster will be over.

And them pigs first season back wont be recorded.....hopefully they will get relegated the following season whenever that maybe.

• Haha 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

There's so much more going on in my life than than worrying about whether or when football is going to come back. It will give me no "peace of mind" whatsoever whether they announce they'll continue it, void it or take the current status as the end of season placing. In the greater scheme of things it simply doesn't matter and it will come out in the wash whenever they feel in a position to make a decision. Just leave them to it. 

Ok thanks for that. You obviously care so little that's why you're responding to this thread. With 'so much more going on in your life' i'm suprised you have the time to come on Owlstalk

• Haha 1

Just now, IWEDFM said:

Ok thanks for that. You obviously care so little that's why you're responding to this thread. With 'so much more going on in your life' i'm suprised you have the time to come on Owlstalk

Indeed I am ignoring my own advice and getting worked up about people getting worked up!  But I suppose the threat of financial penury doesn't stop me posting on here. It would be quite handy in fact if they wrote off this season and next season so I can get some ST money back. I'm a patient man though - no doubt they'll take the decisions when they have to. But whatever they decide to do it will save no lives, it won't help any NHS workers  - so I genuinely don't see what the big deal is. 

20 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Why is dying the alternative? 

Dying is what is happening in the real world to people illustrating the complete triviality of Football in the grand scheme of things 

Dying wasn't ever offered as an alternative to finishing the season and it was obtuse of you to take that to be the meaning of my post 

Liverpool Fans and Leeds fans et al would bleat on about the unfairness of scrapping the season but as the death toll rose by almost 1000 people yesterday i have to say griping football fans would be the least of the countries worries 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Dying wasn't ever offered as an alternative to finishing the season and it was obtuse of you to take that to be the meaning of my post 

I would venture sir you expressed yourself clumsily. 

What’s happening in intensive care makes just about everything we do trivial. I just don’t see what it has to do with football deciding what to do about this season.    Similarly if they decided to rank the leagues in points per games played there would be bleating from Villa and Norwich fans which would also be the least of the country’s worries.

By delaying the decision football isn’t making any sort of statement about its relative importance to death. It’s just working out what to do to solve a thorny problem. A problem most businesses in the country are wrestling with - when they can recommence and in what form. 

The season is over, no finishing it now.

I think it has to be marked a null and void (not going to make some teams happy).

A bigger question has to be will next season go ahead?

As there is a strong chance we will all be in lockdown again in the winter.

And which clubs are going to invest in player fees and contracts knowing this?

8 minutes ago, Malkmus said:

The season is over, no finishing it now.

I think it has to be marked a null and void (not going to make some teams happy).

A bigger question has to be will next season go ahead?

As there is a strong chance we will all be in lockdown again in the winter.

And which clubs are going to invest in player fees and contracts knowing this?

Got to agree

We might not be in complete lockdown when summer comes around, but social distancing will be in force for as long as it takes for a vaccine to be found. A game of football can’t be played with all 22 players keeping 2m apart at all times, and even if it did there’d be no one allowed in to watch them

What happens with all the money if it gets voided? 

The Sky money, the final placing rewards etc? 

Do Prem clubs for example get a lump sum at the start of the season or is it all drip fed over the season, and clubs just take out a loan at the start? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skyline said:

Do Prem clubs for example get a lump sum at the start of the season or is it all drip fed over the season, and clubs just take out a loan at the start? 

Think they get 3 payments over the season, the last one end of season, if so they will be 33% down on tv money plus gate revenue etc.

Will affect bournmouth most i would think..some take out loans on the strength of sky money to be paid..

Edited by sherlyegg

5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Think they get 3 payments over the season, the last one end of season, if so they will be 33% down on tv money plus gate revenue etc.

Will affect bournmouth most i would think..some take out loans on the strength of sky money to be paid..

I’m sure most clubs will lose money because of this virus, though with only 9 games left, less than 25% of the season, the loss of TV money is not catastrophic. Given the current climate, would the TV companies want to be seen as being so inflexible? I would think a reasonable compromise can be found. Most clubs will have already pocketed the majority of future gate receipts through season ticket sales. I’m not sure what their stance will be on refunding those season ticket holders, but I’m sure there will be schemes devised, whereby clubs can offset that in some way that reduces the damage. This, coupled with a reduction in running costs, should soften the blow. It’s not good, but, for the bigger clubs at least, it’s not quite the doomsday scenario some are making out

BREAKING NEWS: The Football League tell clubs to put players on holiday and not start training again until mid-May with new plans to restart the football season in June... when they will play 113 matches in just 56 days!

EFL clubs have been advised to send their players on holiday and told not to restart training until at least the middle of May as the coronavirus pandemic continues to cause havoc.

In a letter sent by EFL chairman Rick Parry, Championship, League One and League Two sides have been warned that there will be no time for players to have a break between the end of the season and the start of the 2020-21 campaign.

Their aim is to begin playing games behind closed doors at some point in June, with the expectation that it will take just 56 days to finish the season.

New plans would see 113 EFL games played across just 56 days to complete the season

That would mean 113 matches would be played during that period, and the season would be completed by August.

The letter also revealed that plans for the play-offs to go ahead as usual - with two-legged semi-finals and a final in each division - are still in place.

However, there is a chance Wembley may not host the finals because 'no decision has been taken on the likely venue as it will depend on the circumstances at play at the time'. 

Clubs have been told not to begin training as usual until May 16, although that date may yet change depending on government advice.

In the letter, which has been sent to all EFL clubs, Parry says that they will continue to work with relevant health authorities, and that they are working to mitigate the financial cost of having to play games behind closed doors.

More to follow. 

That might make our close season rebuild somewhat problematic! 

22 minutes ago, deano said:

That might make our close season rebuild somewhat problematic! 

Any club with a recent history of having a clear strategy for style of play, quality scouting and consistent management we will undoubtedly have our targets already identified and recruitment work will be underway....oh wait you said OUR rebuild

23 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

BREAKING NEWS: The Football League tell clubs to put players on holiday and not start training again until mid-May with new plans to restart the football season in June... when they will play 113 matches in just 56 days!

EFL clubs have been advised to send their players on holiday and told not to restart training until at least the middle of May as the coronavirus pandemic continues to cause havoc.

In a letter sent by EFL chairman Rick Parry, Championship, League One and League Two sides have been warned that there will be no time for players to have a break between the end of the season and the start of the 2020-21 campaign.

Their aim is to begin playing games behind closed doors at some point in June, with the expectation that it will take just 56 days to finish the season.

New plans would see 113 EFL games played across just 56 days to complete the season

That would mean 113 matches would be played during that period, and the season would be completed by August.

The letter also revealed that plans for the play-offs to go ahead as usual - with two-legged semi-finals and a final in each division - are still in place.

However, there is a chance Wembley may not host the finals because 'no decision has been taken on the likely venue as it will depend on the circumstances at play at the time'. 

Clubs have been told not to begin training as usual until May 16, although that date may yet change depending on government advice.

In the letter, which has been sent to all EFL clubs, Parry says that they will continue to work with relevant health authorities, and that they are working to mitigate the financial cost of having to play games behind closed doors.

More to follow. 

If one player goes down with the virus during the 56 days then his team mates & coaching staff & the players & coaching staff of the team they've just played will need to isolate for 14 days. It would be chaos.

For me it isn't going to happen, this season won't be finished.

Dont see the point in all this planning and saying its subject to government advice. We all know it's not going ahead then. They are just delaying the inevitable.

So May 16th is the current best guess for the end of lockdown....

Interesting they don't mention expired contract details, which tells me that they don't really believe it

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

So May 16th is the current best guess for the end of lockdown....

Interesting they don't mention expired contract details, which tells me that they don't really believe it

FIFA are looking at contractual issues aren't they?

This all seems bit pie in the sky but many businesses are making provisional plans to get going again so I suppose there's no reason why football should be any different. 

How the foook do EFL personel get across roads safely?