How and when will the season end ?

3 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I heard somebody from Exeter City saying exactly the same thing on Spotlight South West last night. 

He was expressing his opinion as if the behind closed doors scenario had already been decided using the “ clearly “ word.

”Clearly all the players will be tested before the match “ etc etc

it wont matter if the players are tested or not, what happens if a tests positive two days after a match, all the players and officials concerned will have to self isolate for 14days

what sort of teams would they put out during the 14 day period? especially if the player had had contact with other players

you cant have another 2 week break and then another when another player tests positive, its not practical

and why would there be a need for behind closed door games?

players cannot group together until the lock down has ended, then fans could attend anyway

do they not think things through when they make these statements

9 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I heard somebody from Exeter City saying exactly the same thing on Spotlight South West last night. 

He was expressing his opinion as if the behind closed doors scenario had already been decided using the “ clearly “ word.

”Clearly all the players will be tested before the match “ etc etc

If matches are played behind closed doors, I genuinely think that might be it for me and the game of football.

For me, the fans are central to the game. To try and finish the season without them there shouldn't be an option.

6 minutes ago, striker said:

I think there is an increasing inevitability that there will be no football before August at the very earliest, more likely October or later if we're lucky (considering current restrictions due to be in place until the end of June and players need to get match fit which will take a mini pre season of 3-4 weeks). Therefore I dont see next season starting on time if I'm honest, even if/when this season is voided.

Dont forget, this virus  isn't going to be cured and disappear overnight, all we're doing is buying time to build capacity in the NHS. No treatment, no vaccine as yet.

If it goes past the end of June there will need to be a break for a transfer window, so that's a couple of months at least, so if it cant be finished by then it cant be finished until November or December

So does next season run from January until the end of October, then a break for the end of season break / Euros, then hold the next season at the same time, would then fit for the winter world cup, but when could the season revert back to normal?

Also there would be some summer sports who would suffer if football run through the summer months

Edited by the third man

Just now, scram said:

He didn't say it was?

i think the point being made is that to relax restrictions for football could be catastrophic for some in society?

It’s not as tough as being rammed up the jacksie with a turnip either but the phrase he used was binning the season would be “tough on several teams but not as tough as dying” which at least implied it was an either/or. 

Football won’t be played until the government gives the go ahead. Relaxation of restrictions on football will be matched in other sectors. Football fans and players won’t be uniquely put at risk. Mind you the coronavirus may be with us for a long time. The 1918/19 pandemic had three distinct different phases. 

Meanwhile we can see what FIFA wants even though it’s highly impractical.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/07/fifa-approves-extended-player-contracts-and-later-transfer-windows

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

It’s not as tough as being rammed up the jacksie with a turnip either but the phrase he used was binning the season would be “tough on several teams but not as tough as dying” which at least implied it was an either/or. 

Football won’t be played until the government gives the go ahead. Relaxation of restrictions on football will be matched in other sectors. Football fans and players won’t be uniquely put at risk. Mind you the coronavirus may be with us for a long time. The 1918/19 pandemic had three distinct different phases. 

Meanwhile we can see what FIFA wants even though it’s highly impractical.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/07/fifa-approves-extended-player-contracts-and-later-transfer-windows

i certainly didn't take it as either/or

I took as rashly opening up the football season again could lead to further spread of the disease and hence some dying

1 hour ago, scram said:

i certainly didn't take it as either/or

I took as rashly opening up the football season again could lead to further spread of the disease and hence some dying

Why would anyone rashly open the season? It's not going to happen. Football will follow government advice. 

15 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

They should bin the current season and start a new season as when its the only viable option 

It would be tough on several teams but not as tough as dying 

Absolutely, and all this talk about restarting the season, really does the authorities no favours. It plays into the hands of people who think football is living in a bubble

Health and lives are far more important than sport. It's looking increasingly likely that the season is going to be voided with a statement rumoured to possibly be imminent: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/serie-chief-claims-premier-league-18060945

Clubs across the Leagues, are also looking at ways of easing P&S and points deductions restrictions and putting in place measures to protect themselves from getting plundered by vultures, if administration becomes widespread too but they have to come to some sort of overall majority agreement: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/championship-clubs-considering-group-administration-18060778

Can't understand why they are delaying the decision. The virus is not going to suddenly disappear. The season needs to be put to bed. I know it's harsh on some clubs who have worked hard to be in the position they are but life is more important where as football when it comes down to it is 22 men kicking around a leather ball

36 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Can't understand why they are delaying the decision.

The same reason the Government hasn't announced how we will end the lockdown. Nobody has a clue what's about to unfold.  There's no reason to make a decision at the moment. Nothing is happening. We can't guarantee next season will be able to go ahead anyway - plans are a bit irrelevant. 

In fact if there's a fear they're going to be sued it's best they keep all options open as long as possible thereby showing they have tried to find the best way through this. How would it change any of our lives, or save any victims, if the Premier League suddenly announced they were voiding this season and starting next season at an indeterminate date? It would change nothing at all. There's no reason why they shouldn't wait until there's some sort of overall plan in place for how we end the lockdown/social distancing etc.  

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The same reason the Government hasn't announced how we will end the lockdown. Nobody has a clue what's about to unfold.  There's no reason to make a decision at the moment. Nothing is happening. We can't guarantee next season will be able to go ahead anyway - plans are a bit irrelevant. 

In fact if there's a fear they're going to be sued it's best they keep all options open as long as possible thereby showing they have tried to find the best way through this. How would it change any of our lives, or save any victims, if the Premier League suddenly announced they were voiding this season and starting next season at an indeterminate date? It would change nothing at all. There's no reason why they shouldn't wait until there's some sort of overall plan in place for how we end the lockdown/social distancing etc.  

Of course there is a point to ending the season now. It would give clubs/players and fans a piece of mind and let everyone know where they stand instead of dragging it out and prolonging the uncertainty. Football is secondary right now and is not going to return anytime soon so it makes no sense giving false hope

Guest Garryswfcowl72

This season won’t ever get finished if you think otherwise your deluded there’s got to be a cut off point when a decision needs taking can’t see this virus ending anytime soon how long do you leave it ? Say it lasts another 1-2 months the players need to do a mini pre season again before games get played & that’s before fixtures get rearranged & the longer it goes on it has a knock on effect on to next season starting 

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

Of course there is a point to ending the season now. It would give clubs/players and fans a piece of mind and let everyone know where they stand instead of dragging it out and prolonging the uncertainty. Football is secondary right now and is not going to return anytime soon so it makes no sense giving false hope

There's so much more going on in my life than than worrying about whether or when football is going to come back. It will give me no "peace of mind" whatsoever whether they announce they'll continue it, void it or take the current status as the end of season placing. In the greater scheme of things it simply doesn't matter and it will come out in the wash whenever they feel in a position to make a decision. Just leave them to it.