Jump to content
scilly owl

How and when will the season end ?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Confirming Liverpool as champions would be the biggest joke in football ever. 

They haven’t won the league, there are 9 games remaining and 10 for Man City. 
Liverpool draw 5 games and lose 4, Man City win all 10 and with lots of goals and it’s their title.  
 

This season needs to be finished when it can be, and if they can’t find a reasonable way to do that then it should be voided. But give Liverpool the title? Do me a favour 


Spot on mate, really can’t see Liverpool being given the title but it would be typical to happen for them. As it’s more special if it’s Liverpool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And who knows, Liverpool might do something that results in a points deduction - lots of potential 'what if's'

 

The fairest thing is just start the season again, forget it even happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

 

What about in the PL where one of the bottom three has played one less game and another 3 points would see them out of the relegation zone


What if they lose and they’re not?

 

What if they draw and they’re not?

 

Option: calculate average PPG and apply that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decision today is to suspend football indefinately .... how decisive !

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I can't see the FA et'al doing that as there will be then 2 seasons of potential disruption as opposed to only one. My 2 penneths worth is that we will scrap this season and expunge the results, player transfers etc will stand but we will aim to start with a clean slate in August (Corona willing).

This, it’s the only sensible decision, if we can’t complete the fixtures before the end of June

 

10 minutes ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

 

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

 

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

Yes, clubs and competitions will have to take a hit, this season or next Aborting this season, and voiding all the results, is less of a logistical nightmare

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

 

What about in the PL where one of the bottom three has played one less game and another 3 points would see them out of the relegation zone


Btw my proposal is a playoff between the top 3 in Championship 

 

So they only have to win 1 game against lower opposition to stay up.

 

That - IMO - takes out the game in hand argument. It’s still in their own hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

 

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

 

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

 

 

Not quite the same circumstances as happened in 2002 when ITV Diigital went pop, but there were a few clubs then that had spent the money before they got it.

 

Makes you wonder if anyone thought about taking up insurance (if that's possible) against loss of revenue if the current TV deals end up going pop as would seem to be with this current crisis.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, the third man said:

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

I think they might be aware of things like that - especially if they read OT!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McRightSide said:


Btw my proposal is a playoff between the top 3 in Championship 

 

So they only have to win 1 game against lower opposition to stay up.

 

That - IMO - takes out the game in hand argument. It’s still in their own hands.

Why just the top three?

 

Positions 3 to 6 have a chance of going up, in fact more than that have a chance of going up

 

and how many teams have a chance of being relegated, including us

 

you cant pick teams to go up or down based on matches they have played and ignoring the ones they haven't

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McRightSide said:


What if they lose and they’re not?

 

What if they draw and they’re not?

 

Option: calculate average PPG and apply that

 

You can only do that if you take the number of points each team has from playing each other once, and to see how misleading that would be, it would put us third, great for us, not fair on others

 

how can you guess the results of the matches not played based on the ones that have been

 

if predicting results was that easy, we would have all have won the pools, or made a fortune from betting on football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

 

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

 

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

Probably loads of them. Never mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

 

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

 

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

I think your last point might be very near the truth for a lot of the smaller clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the third man said:

Why just the top three?

 

Positions 3 to 6 have a chance of going up, in fact more than that have a chance of going up

 

and how many teams have a chance of being relegated, including us

 

you cant pick teams to go up or down based on matches they have played and ignoring the ones they haven't

 

 


Because it’s completely unprecedented and you have to make a decision somewhere. 
 

Wherever you make it, it will be unfair to someone. 
 

I believe my proposal of allowing third top v third bottom is the least unfair

 

Everyone needs to realize this is not going to be a fair ending to the season whatever happens, and therefore stop looking for a fair solution.

 

1 hour ago, the third man said:

 

You can only do that if you take the number of points each team has from playing each other once, and to see how misleading that would be, it would put us third, great for us, not fair on others

 

how can you guess the results of the matches not played based on the ones that have been

 

if predicting results was that easy, we would have all have won the pools, or made a fortune from betting on football


That’s why I wouldn’t do it. I would do the play off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think they should just avoid the season. By no means a perfect solution but think the best one available.

No guarantee season will start in August so cant see how they can finish this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making sure next season isn't impacted is more important than completing this one.

 

Football is a key player in us getting back to normal, so having a normal next season is vital in showing we are normal again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timrud said:

Making sure next season isn't impacted is more important than completing this one.

 

Football is a key player in us getting back to normal, so having a normal next season is vital in showing we are normal again


I disagree. Completing the season that is three quarters done already is paramount. But it must be done when it’s safe to. Even if that means waiting until November.

 

Next season should then be cut short. This might happen anyway if there’s a second wave. What I would do about next season is not play the League cup, have the FA cup if there’s time (but no replays in any round) and the league be done in World Cup format. If you go out in the group stage, have a separate tournament to decide who gets relegated.

 

As for Europe, still keep champions league and europa but both straight knock out in every round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

 

 

As for Europe, still keep champions league and europa but both straight knock out in every round. 

 

Wont happen, the clubs will lose to much money, you do realise any decisions will not be about football or the fans, but how much money the clubs and football Associations can make

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non fully completed domestic seasons according to UEFA might constitute in an European competitions ban for that League. If the domestic season can't be completed in some way before the end of the June, which looks highly likely, there are too many issues with finalising the season after the end of the June. Such as sponsorships; player contracts, TV deals, kit deals, transfer windows, clubs potentially on the brink, etc.

 

The most sensible decision is to cancel the season and restart whenever it's safe to do so. The Premier League etc, are just delaying the inevitable as they're only selfishly looking at it from a financial viewpoint. There's no safe way of completing the season before the end of June, as playing matches behind closed doors will endanger lives and will put unnecessary strain on the emergency services. There are far more important things to worry about than football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

There are far more important things to worry about than football

In which don’t worry about it. The football authorities can do that. They’ll finish the season if they can and won’t if they can’t. If it’s dangerous they won’t play - simple as.  Whichever version of not finishing is chosen will be a distant second best and probably won’t affect Wednesday in any way.
 

But fundamentally it will be the clubs that decide amongst themselves. Whatever happens it will be what a majority of clubs and UEFA want. And money is a perfectly acceptable criteria to consider. 

Edited by rickygoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Non fully completed domestic seasons according to UEFA might constitute in an European competitions ban for that League. If the domestic season can't be completed in some way before the end of the June, which looks highly likely, there are too many issues with finalising the season after the end of the June. Such as sponsorships; player contracts, TV deals, kit deals, transfer windows, clubs potentially on the brink, etc.

 

The most sensible decision is to cancel the season and restart whenever it's safe to do so. The Premier League etc, are just delaying the inevitable as they're only selfishly looking at it from a financial viewpoint. There's no safe way of completing the season before the end of June, as playing matches behind closed doors will endanger lives and will put unnecessary strain on the emergency services. There are far more important things to worry about than football. 

For me it’s cancel the season. Even though it’s extreme the reality is carrying it on to next season will mean to many competitions put in jeopardy or cancelled. Especially with the Euros 2021 date confirmed. Maybe the leagues can introduce a handicap system similar to duckworth Lewis in cricket. For instance Liverpool start with 10 points, Man City 7 points etc.  Apologies if already mentioned or is a stupid idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...