Greatest Last Minute Goals

Guest Bulgaria
On 27/03/2020 at 19:09, OWL1969 said:

The 2 at West Brom in the 90/91 will always stick in my mind.

Mine too, as I left on 88 minutes!!!!

21 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Mine too, as I left on 88 minutes!!!!

I need too understand why people leave early, you are only there for 90 something minutes, you pay your money, is getting home early that important?

Just now, OzOwl said:

I need too understand why people leave early, you are only there for 90 something minutes, you pay your money, is getting home early that important?

They have their reasons, but I'm always amused when a last minute winner or equaliser goes in and they've missed it. Vital last minute goals are the best feeling in football, but there must be people who have been going to the match for decades and have never seen one! 

John Newsome scoring last minute at West Ham on the last day of the 95-96 season. It was a fairly meaningless equaliser in the end but we could have gone down that day and it wasn't as easy to keep up with scores elsewhere as it is now.

James Quinn's goal at Hull in 2005 to clinch our play-off spot, was amazing in the away end that day.

Di Canio at home against the Dingles and later that season away at Everton to make it 3-1 when we had gone down to 10 men. 

Jackie Sinclair - Overhead Kick in injury time to make it 1-0  vs Swindon Town 1972

We had just left moments before (to avoid the crowds)..

Still mad at my dad all these years later (I never ever leave any sporting event before the final whistle because of that).

The game was on telly the next day so got to see the goal...  If anyone has found this footage I would love to see it (doesn't seem to exist though)

WAWAW

8 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Jackie Sinclair - Overhead Kick in injury time to make it 1-0  vs Swindon Town 1972

We had just left moments before (to avoid the crowds)..

Still mad at my dad all these years later (I never ever leave any sporting event before the final whistle because of that).

The game was on telly the next day so got to see the goal...  If anyone has found this footage I would love to see it (doesn't seem to exist though)

WAWAW

I'd love to see that. Probably my earliest Wednesday memory although I can't remember the actual goal, just that it happened. 

We seemed to have more than our fair share in the Carlos era. Seemed to genuinely go for it, at least in the first 18 months and it paid off more often than not.

Never understood why so many managers seem to settle for draws. Surely the risk vs reward makes going for it worthwhile. Sometimes you'll get a winner and sometimes you'll concede (and of course sometimes you'll still draw). But if you even come close to breaking even in terms of wins and losses when going for it late, you end up with more points overall. One win and one loss is a better points tally than two draws.

Carlos seemed to get that in his first 18 months at the club and we more than broke even so even better.

5 hours ago, Mr Meadows said:

Good shout

remember there been loads of Sunderland all over the ground.. shut them f u ck ers up 

Aye, a lot of them in bottom left hand corner of Kop near south stand.

Remember them singing "you're coming back to Roker "

nah.

44 minutes ago, Gargoyle said:

28th February 2004, sat with 15 year old son through the drabbest 90 minutes of football in history, versus Bristol City, don't think there'd been a single shot on target.

Turned to my lad and said something along the lines of  "we have never nicked a last minute goal when we've deserved absolutely nothing in all the decades I've been coming here".

About 10 seconds later Graeme Lee puts the ball in the net:ohmy:

Was that when Danny Wilson was their manager and they were on  long winning run? 

Guest Bulgaria
On 30/03/2020 at 14:07, OzOwl said:

In my defense, up until the 88th minute it was a dreadful performance, and mores importantly, my mate was on a promise.

I feel no guilt.