John Pearson

Really can't remember anything about him other than i always thought he was lightweight. Cracking bloke though and love his commentaries. Once had a scrap with his brother in a Sunday morning match while he was watching with his bird. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 14.45.01.jpg

Been looking and to our shame we don't seem to have had any threads on John Pearson's footballing career at Sheffield Wednesday.

So I thought I'd start one off to see what we remember about the big man playing for us.

If anyone is Sheffield Wednesday through and through it's John, who is still at the club co-ordinating the community side of things (and doing a top job at it too)

Off the pitch one of the nicest blokes I've ever met, and on the pitch a real handful in his time too.

What games/goals do you remember from when John was up front for the mighty Owls?

He was a boo boy for some sections of our supporters. I seem to recall Mick Lyons asking fans to lay off him in his program notes.

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

A night match against Bolton iirc.  It was the fastest goal that I never saw! Was just walking up the gangway steps at the time, had to wait until the programme for the next game to see a drawing of how the move unfolded straight from the kick off.

That was probably the last time we took a kick off that wasn't hoofed to the left wing with possession lost...

I remember that diagram.  It sketched about three passes down the right wing.  

Been looking and to our shame we don't seem to have had any threads on John Pearson's footballing career at Sheffield Wednesday.

So I thought I'd start one off to see what we remember about the big man playing for us.

If anyone is Sheffield Wednesday through and through it's John, who is still at the club co-ordinating the community side of things (and doing a top job at it too)

Off the pitch one of the nicest blokes I've ever met, and on the pitch a real handful in his time too.

What games/goals do you remember from when John was up front for the mighty Owls?

Scoring against Leeds in the photo. Pearson was a decent squad member in a very good era.

When he scored on his debut in 1980, his parents were on holiday abroad.  It was only when his dad picked up the sunday papers (on the Monday) did he discover John had scored against Bristol City and he sprinted all the way back to the hotel to tell John's mum. 

John Pearson - like most people on Owlstalk - is just a top Wednesday lad.  

I recall him scoring on his debut, but might be wrong.

But he definitely scored one the best headed goals I’ve ever seen against Watford in a night match. 

From just inside the box, into the top corner. 

Like you say, Wednesday through and through. 

Pretty sure it was Huddersfield away. He stood in front of the keeper to stop him kicking it quickly, keeper took it anyway and it hit him under the chin, knocked him clean out

I've asked him about it but he says he doesn't remember it

I'm not surprised

11 hours ago, alanharper said:

A night match against Bolton iirc.  It was the fastest goal that I never saw!  had to wait until the programme for the next game to see a drawing of how the move unfolded straight from the kick off.

There was indeed  :cool:

I used to love reading  programmes before and after the game on the bus home. 

I'd then read it again at home over the weekend. 

I seem to recall the Bolton team having a young Peter Reid in their team?

32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I can remember him being a half decent centre forward but not necessarily outstanding. He tended to split the opinion of the fans that stood around me - maybe 70/30 in his favour. I liked him but there’s very few players I haven’t liked.  

C'mon Shandy spill the beans!

Beswetherick?

Purse?

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

I can remember him being a half decent centre forward but not necessarily outstanding. He tended to split the opinion of the fans that stood around me - maybe 70/30 in his favour. I liked him but there’s very few players I haven’t liked.  

Luton away, might have been first game of the season, but certainly very early on. We won 3 0 with JP scoring a header. We were top of the league and the game was on telly. Should be footage somewhere? But my memory is not the best so I could be completely wrong!

Did the Sheffield 10k the other year with him when they were raising money. Ran the whole way with him and at the end when I said he could kick on to get a better time he said no, we started together we finish together. He was as knackered as me though I reckon. Proper nice bloke. A true Wednesday Fan through and through who lived the dream we all have or had. 

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Did the Sheffield 10k the other year with him when they were raising money. Ran the whole way with him and at the end when I said he could kick on to get a better time he said no, we started together we finish together. He was as knackered as me though I reckon. Proper nice bloke. A true Wednesday Fan through and through who lived the dream we all have or had. 

He's a top man

Owlstalk Shop

5 hours ago, Pulsar said:

C'mon Shandy spill the beans!

Beswetherick?

Purse?

Those two were players that looked out of their depth at our level but I didn’t dislike them - they tried hard and were let down by their lack of ability. I don’t like players that don’t apply themselves or have a bad attitude; I didn’t like Jay Bothroyd for example because I felt like he had a bad attitude and many on here will know that I don’t like Jordan Rhodes because I feel he doesn’t apply himself (please let’s not start discussing Rhodes in the thread I’m just using him as an example).