John Pearson

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 14.45.01.jpg

Been looking and to our shame we don't seem to have had any threads on John Pearson's footballing career at Sheffield Wednesday.

So I thought I'd start one off to see what we remember about the big man playing for us.

If anyone is Sheffield Wednesday through and through it's John, who is still at the club co-ordinating the community side of things (and doing a top job at it too)

Off the pitch one of the nicest blokes I've ever met, and on the pitch a real handful in his time too.

What games/goals do you remember from when John was up front for the mighty Owls?

Owlstalk Shop

In Wilko promotion season JP started as our centre forward and I thought that style of play suited him as it brought his ability to win headers and allow Varadi and Bannister the chance to pick up the second ball. He just didn't have the pace which we later acquired with Cunningham. When you think back to those times we brought some decent local players through our youth system. Shame it's all gone boobies up on that front nowadays.

6 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Scored after 12 seconds.

I still think it is Wednesday's fastest goal.

A night match against Bolton iirc.  It was the fastest goal that I never saw! Was just walking up the gangway steps at the time, had to wait until the programme for the next game to see a drawing of how the move unfolded straight from the kick off.

That was probably the last time we took a kick off that wasn't hoofed to the left wing with possession lost...

• Haha 3

A true story sort of about John Pearson

Sometime in the 80s when I was living and working in Oxford, I went with one of my Oxford Utd supporting friends to see Oxford vs Wednesday.

I can't remember much about the match but I think it must have been pretty boring.

John Pearson gets brought on as a sub and I don't know how tall he is, or if the rest of the players were small, but he looked really, really tall.

My mates says to me "he's a tall lad!"

I says "John Pearson. 6'8". Tallest player in the football league. Me trying to keep a straight face.

He gives me a knowing grin and says "John Pearson, eh? Tallest player in the league? 6'8"? Well I never"

We both grin and get back to watching the match.

A couple of minutes later a young lad standing near by turns to his dad and says "Hey, dad, You see that player who's just come on for them? He's John Pearson and he's the tallest player in the football league! He's 6'8"! "

lol

• Like 1

John lived in the same area as me and went to the same school ,Wisewood although he was 3 years below 

Always got a smile and polite hello if you see him 

Just read his wikipedia and it says he scored a hat trick for Leeds urgh........against Uniturd !!!!!

If that is true then he can wee wee tail his snook to any smart Alec on here that may want to put him down 

There’s a good story in one of our players autobiography’s , can’t remenber who’s, might have been Sterland’s, where he recounts the time Wednesday were in the changing room and Wilko was getting them all fired up for the game . He went up to Pearson and slapped him really hard in the face and said “ you’d better get used to that because you’re going to get it all afternoon from Kilcline” He thought that JP was a little too nice. Apparently he played a blinder and scored the winning goal.

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

Owls 1-0 QPR.

Kop closed after Oldham.

JP scores the winner at the Kop end

Great atmosphere on the North

About 20 QPR fans in away end.

My last game before emigrating

Are you back now? Or was your last game 40 years ago?

3 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Owls 1-0 QPR.

Kop closed after Oldham.

JP scores the winner at the Kop end

Great atmosphere on the North

About 20 QPR fans in away end.

My last game before emigrating

The atmosphere was far better than a normal home match with everybody undercover. Can't remember the goal but there was nobody more passionate about the club than John when playing, in fact that still applies now.