Rebooking summer holidays.. what’s everyone doing?

I'm currently battling with Sykes for a refund on a cottage stay that should have happened this week just gone. It's fair to say they are being as awkward as possible.

I was also planning on going to Japan in October for my 40th including going to the Grand Prix, but I've already decided to sack that idea off. It seems unlikely that tourism will be back to normal by then so I'm going to use the £10k or so we would have spent to pay off my car and some off the mortgage. Should be mortgage free before I'm 41. Every cloud I suppose. Hopefully I'll get to do Japan next year but will try and go earlier in the year instead.

BIG TIP GUYS:

Jet2 Holidays rang me today about my 2020 cancelled trip to Croatia.

They wanted me to cancel and rebook which would mean:

• A new Booking Reference Number, meaning my holiday insurance wouldn't cover any Covid-19 related issues.
  • A new price, £550 more than I paid, for the same week in 2021

I insisted upon an amended holiday, keeping my reference number.  Amending the booking to the same week next year saw a £400 reduction in cost.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Bez said:

BIG TIP GUYS:

Jet2 Holidays rang me today about my 2020 cancelled trip to Croatia.

They wanted me to cancel and rebook which would mean:

• A new Booking Reference Number, meaning my holiday insurance wouldn't cover any Covid-19 related issues.
  • A new price, £550 more than I paid, for the same week in 2021

I insisted upon an amended holiday, keeping my reference number.  Amending the booking to the same week next year saw a £400 reduction in cost.

Hope this helps someone.

It has thanks.

I'm now not considering Croatia as a potential destination next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Ryanair announced yesterday that they plan to restore 40% of flights by July.

Could be wishful thinking if destinations are barring Brits from entering. 

RyanAir are huge outside UK don't forget.  40% could easily be flights outside the UK.

Just not bothered...

On 29/04/2020 at 13:45, Sam779 said:

TUI have just emailed me to confirm our holiday to Italy is cancelled on 29 May.

Have offered an extra 20% if we rebook for another holiday. However we are going to get our money back.

On 29/04/2020 at 19:20, Sam779 said:

Not that there is any hope of getting through to them. Every time you try, you go through the options and it rings for about 10-20 seconds and then cuts you off.

At the moment they’re offering a credit note 4 weeks after the flight date otherwise. Advising to wait until you get your credit not to ring up for your money back instead, which will take another 4 weeks if you’re lucky enough to get through on the phone. So at least 2 months after your holiday until you can get your money back. Ridiculous.

On 30/04/2020 at 10:07, Sam779 said:

TUI are a complete joke. Can’t even get through to them on the phone lines.

Maybe they shouldn’t have furloughed a load of staff and actually had them on the end of the phone.

They wouldn’t be doing everything they possibly can to keep people’s money would they...surely not.

Having got through to TUI eventually on 1 May and requested my cash refund, they said it’d be sorted.

Low and behold today I receive an email with a refund credit note saying I have to phone up (the same engaged number as before) to transfer that to a cash refund.

Complete joke of company and doing everything possible to sit on customer’s money.

FAQs state money will be refunded within 5 days of getting through if your cards haven’t expired since booking. Otherwise it takes 28 days.

8 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Northumbria for me this year.

Best beaches in the world.

North Face jacket and a blanket and flask of soup. Lovely.

nbria.jpg

What soup you thinking?

4 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Oxtail with a bit of pepper.

Nice.

Was thinking maybe a creamy tomato.  Chicken doesn't really work for me in a flask, not only is it a bit thick, it's a struggle getting his feet in!

• Haha 1

Thanks @markowl, we did get that email today. However I phoned them on Tuesday and luckily enough got through after about 15 mins of pressing redial.

The money was actually refunded the same date, which we didn’t notice until checking today. That includes the initial deposits which were on out of date cards (which they suggested would take longer to refund).

So all sorted now. Probably won’t travel with them again, despite the apology email.

• Like 1

Got an email from Easyjet today saying I was one of those who'd been hacked.. great

Although they say no passport or credit card details were accessed.. but flight plans / final price was..

Still its gonna be cancelled was due to fly on June 13th and they not resuming any flights to the 15th.. even then its domestic and

one flight to Nice.

59 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Got an email from Easyjet today saying I was one of those who'd been hacked.. great

Although they say no passport or credit card details were accessed.. but flight plans / final price was..

Still its gonna be cancelled was due to fly on June 13th and they not resuming any flights to the 15th.. even then its domestic and

one flight to Nice.

Masks will be obligatory on Easyjet flights too,Which rules me (and others)out.