Rebooking summer holidays.. what’s everyone doing?

4 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

You should be covered by EU261.  Most airlines are offering vouchers but they should be giving refunds.  Refunds will take a lot of time though, 2 months possibly.

Is it different as we booked through a travel agents rather than the airline direct?

Please be aware

if you rebook your holiday and get a new booking reference, you lose insurance cover for Coronavirus 

also you lose cover if your insurance lapses. 

On 08/04/2020 at 16:56, Big Malc said:

Is it different as we booked through a travel agents rather than the airline direct?

yes.  travel agents own the responsibility. They need to request refund from airline to refund you if its cancelled.

They are bound by what airline offers but EU261 is a last resort

Booked hotel and flights separately for Rome. Jet2 cancelled the flights yesterday so should be OK for a refund from them.

The hotel however was a non-refundable rate and they're saying because of that, they will only offer a voucher to rebook within a years time. It was booked on a Credit Card, what's the chances of me getting my money back via the Credit Card (Section 75 act)? 

7 hours ago, BIG D said:

I assume in my case that Expedia is the travel agent?

correct. airline wont help you

they reckon no airline should have the ability not to refund a ticket, in your case to expedia, if flights cancelled by them.

Whether they have money to pay in near term is another issue.

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2020 at 17:32, acquiescefc said:

yes.  travel agents own the responsibility. They need to request refund from airline to refund you if its cancelled.

They are bound by what airline offers but EU261 is a last resort

I’m not sure this applies to us.  The return flight was not from an EU country and as far as I know, Singapore Airlines is not a European based company.

Also, as far as I know, the flight still took place.  I can’t imagine there was many people on it, but we never received anything from SA to say it was cancelled.

23 hours ago, Big Malc said:

I’m not sure this applies to us.  The return flight was not from an EU country and as far as I know, Singapore Airlines is not a European based company.

Also, as far as I know, the flight still took place.  I can’t imagine there was many people on it, but we never received anything from SA to say it was cancelled.

Interesting one i guess.  Under normal circumstances you were a no show so game over.

Maybe if you were prevented from flying due to a change in circumstances or entry requirement you could claim through EU261.

You can easily find on Flightradar24 if the flight went, it could depend on SG Airs policy as some are being better than others at allowing changes.  After the date could be tricky.

17 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

Just had an email back from our hotel in Cyprus..they are planning to re-open end of April if allowed or as soon as allowed.

Easyjet flight still active for June 13th .

Question is ..would u still go if allowed.

I'm of the opinion yes..my missus is 50/50.

14 hours ago, thesexynortherner said:

Yeah as long as FCO advice was it’s ok to travel I’d go.

6 weeks until ours.. they’ve not cancelled.. we’ve not cancelled.. just gonna wait and see what happens.

I’d still go.

Due to fly to Italy on 29th May. If the hotel is open and TUI will take me, then I’ll go.

46 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I wouldn't go buying any Euros if I were you!

1.15 is about as good as it’s been for many months I think?

Fortunately all inclusive anyway.

On 06/04/2020 at 11:09, Bassett's Allsorts said:

What are people doing about final payments for holidays?

Got a holiday booked for next month (doubt that will be going ahead now) and the final payment is due soon. I'm happy for them to keep the deposit to use on a future holiday, but not keen on handing over the full amount considering I might not see it again.

It's with Love Holidays. Just visited their website and they are boasting about waiving any amendment fees for modifying bookings... how kind of them :biggrin:

Got Mexico booked for July, not just a holiday but also a wedding, final payment is due this week (£1440) Tui have told me it still needs to be paid as holidays are still scheduled to go ahead, this is looking unlikely at minute so all together they're going to have hold of a total sum of £3440 of my money which will be probably end up being a right pain to get back if it's canceled.

Other problem is work have made us have last 2 weeks off and taken 8 holiday days off us so if holiday does go ahead I won't get paid for time off.