Rebooking summer holidays.. what’s everyone doing?

17 hours ago, Bourbon said:

Just booked a week in Menorca for September, very confused about the tests we need before both flights

Assuming Menorca is the same as mainland Spain and you  are/will be double jabbed, it is as follows from 19th July:

UK - Spain

Proof of double vaccination, with second job being 14 days prior to entering Spain. If not you need to produce a negative test result, or proof that you have test positive for covid in the past 6 months. 

You also need to complete form which produces a QR code prior to arrival. Google "Spain Travel Health".

Spain - UK 

Complete a passenger locator form prior to returning home. On there you need to add your reference code for your "day 2" test (see below) after arrival, so you need to book that before you can do your passenger locator form. 

"Fit to fly" test - done up to 72 hours before your return flight. This can be either a PCR or Lateral Flow test. Needs to be done with provider in Spain, so you can't simply take an NHS one with you and do it yourself. 

Day 2 PCR test - It's actually day 2 or before, so doesn't have to be done on day 2 after arrival. It needs to be undertaken by a Government approved private provider, again, not an NHS test. Randox seem to be one of the biggest and easily accessible with testing sites in a lot of the airports. As it is Day 2 or before, you can actually take the test at the airport upon arrival. You then get emailed your results within 24 hours.. Equally, you can get it posted to your home and do it then.

Seems silly really, as you could have your fit to fly test an hour or so before you board the plan to come home and then take the day 2 test  immediately upon arrival, both only a few hours apart. Logic would say, therefore, that only 1 test should be needed.

The above is true for both green list and amber list countries (19th July onwards) and of course assume you have been double jabbed 

• Thanks 3

Getting more skeptical about the chances of my trip to Britain in September.

It’s taking the ******** a bit, when Britain allows you to skip quarantine after being in an amber country - but only if you had your jabs in the UK.

Apparently my two Moderna shots aren’t good enough, as I got them in Colorado rather than Leighton ******** Buzzard.

The owls are not what they seem.

Binned off the idea of a big holiday this year.. will delay to next summer. A bit gutted but really couldn’t face the potential extra airport waits and the faff of testing before and after. Just hoping it all looks different by then!

Current shortlist:

Sandals Grenada - Downside Heathrow flights

West coast Barbados - Flights from Manchester so better than Heathrow

Next search is for Jamaica.. always been a put off by not wanting to get stabbed but guess it’s nowhere near as bad as what you hear. I recall Donny doing there at one point so gonna start my search there!

16 hours ago, Neal M said:

Getting more skeptical about the chances of my trip to Britain in September.

It’s taking the ******** a bit, when Britain allows you to skip quarantine after being in an amber country - but only if you had your jabs in the UK.

Apparently my two Moderna shots aren’t good enough, as I got them in Colorado rather than Leighton ******** Buzzard.

Yeah I don't get the approach at all.

1 hour ago, cardiffowl06 said:

Yeah I don't get the approach at all.

Until some universal vaccine certificate is created, the UK’s approach is easier to police. But it’s a bit silly. 

On 28/07/2021 at 16:26, Neal M said:

I'm looking at booking France in August. From what I can see if vaccinated I can travel to france ok but then have to isolate for 10 days on my return, however a French national can travel to the UK and not have to isolate upon entering the country. Not sure how that works really.

6 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I'm looking at booking France in August. From what I can see if vaccinated I can travel to france ok but then have to isolate for 10 days on my return, however a French national can travel to the UK and not have to isolate upon entering the country. Not sure how that works really.

Wear a beret and a string of onions when you rock back up at Dover.

Currently in Spain. Belting. Everything was a breeze to get into Spain. Flight was about 2/3 full and everything a lot busier than last summer. Feels very much back to normal here, weather is roasting but cooled a bit after a few days of mid 40’s, very relaxed, no need for masks unless indoors in a crowded space. A pleasure

only real messing about is coming home and the tests, but certainly wouldn’t put me off going away 

• Like 1

Last minute panic after Mexico goes on the red list. BA emailed saying they'd refund whilst I was at the 3 hour mark of trying to get in touch with them. 7-10 days for the refund they say. It'd better be since I've shelled out again for a replacement holiday. Plumped for Barbados, somewhere we've never been before. Flying on Sunday from Heathrow. It'll be interesting to see how different/restricted long haul is versus pre-covid19.

Gutted there doesn't appear to be any cricket at Kensington Oval while we're there. 

7 hours ago, FattyOwl72 said:

Last minute panic after Mexico goes on the red list. BA emailed saying they'd refund whilst I was at the 3 hour mark of trying to get in touch with them. 7-10 days for the refund they say. It'd better be since I've shelled out again for a replacement holiday. Plumped for Barbados, somewhere we've never been before. Flying on Sunday from Heathrow. It'll be interesting to see how different/restricted long haul is versus pre-covid19.

Gutted there doesn't appear to be any cricket at Kensington Oval while we're there. 

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes. I’ve got 2 flights paid for with Aer Lingus to NY but I can change them and Barbados is an option 

57 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes. I’ve got 2 flights paid for with Aer Lingus to NY but I can change them and Barbados is an option 

I'll let you know. I'm desperately hoping the US opens up before 17th September.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 13:16, FattyOwl72 said:

We went a couple of years ago and It's favourite place.. Just a really nice and friendly place. The food was great.. if you're staying anywhere near St Lawrence Gap, give 'My Friends Place'  a try.. the live music was brilliant! and try the Bajan fishcakes from pretty much anywhere!! 

There might be thread all about Barbados with some tips n stuff.. you should have quick search. I'd recommend getting a car and driving round the island.. and looking for monkeys!  

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2021 at 14:18, thesexynortherner said:

We went a couple of years ago and It's favourite place.. Just a really nice and friendly place. The food was great.. if you're staying anywhere near St Lawrence Gap, give 'My Friends Place'  a try.. the live music was brilliant! and try the Bajan fishcakes from pretty much anywhere!! 

There might be thread all about Barbados with some tips n stuff.. you should have quick search. I'd recommend getting a car and driving round the island.. and looking for monkeys!  

What’s prices like there. Hotels / food etc?