Jump to content

Rebooking summer holidays.. what’s everyone doing?


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

 

After NY and Vegas we were pleased to land in Santa Domingo 

Both NY and Vegas are an acquired taste tbf. 
 

Vegas is what it is. 
 

NY is obviously just a huge city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

We have the Dom Rep lovely hotels in Punta Cana

Agree. The place itself isn’t great but that’s the same for many other destinations tbf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

 Does that mean they're holding on to your money ? You have an option ? 

 

No, this is the Exec club status that expires at end of 2020.  Theyve added an extra year as this year is obviously trashed.

My flights where with Qatar, i got a voucher that i can use within two years which is fine by me.  Really wanted to try out their Q Suites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being disparaging Vulva but that is an awful lot of sponduliks to spaff on one holiday. 

 

Kids pestered me for Disney but I never understood the educational or economic value  of what my four might get out of it. 

 

Not too long ago I took the kids (then adult) and the grandkids to Malta. Nice place with history we had visited a few times before (value). I was shocked to discover a Popeye  village had been built complimented by a full team of character actors. Breathless, I was so proud of the little ones who were fascinated by the war museum at Valleta. 

 

The wife and I did a grand tour of Canada which was great. We managed two days in Montana, this was far more in keeping with the America I envisaged.

 

Since the Kids were off our hands we have broadened our horizons Russia, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Thailand; But slowed down a lot now so long haul is off the agenda.   

 

    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Not being disparaging Vulva but that is an awful lot of sponduliks to spaff on one holiday. 

 

Kids pestered me for Disney but I never understood the educational or economic value  of what my four might get out of it. 

 

Not too long ago I took the kids (then adult) and the grandkids to Malta. Nice place with history we had visited a few times before (value). I was shocked to discover a Popeye  village had been built complimented by a full team of character actors. Breathless, I was so proud of the little ones who were fascinated by the war museum at Valleta. 

 

The wife and I did a grand tour of Canada which was great. We managed two days in Montana, this was far more in keeping with the America I envisaged.

 

Since the Kids were off our hands we have broadened our horizons Russia, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Thailand; But slowed down a lot now so long haul is off the agenda.   

 

    

You make some really good points, and absolutely not meant as a dig, but you may be out of touch with the price of family holidays these days. 
 

2 weeks in say Cyrpus, 4* AI for the 5 of us in the school holidays and you wouldn’t get much change out of 5k. Clearly ways of doing it cheaper, but it’s not a cheap game these days and school holidays are a killer. 
 

Re Disney, agree, it’s expensive. Educationally very little value. But it’s a one off, and by no means the most expensive. I’m sure you could do it for 7k, and I’m sure you could spend 20k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 14:16, darra said:

Just had an email from Center Parcs saying they wouldn't be open for when we booked. They've offered a full refund, or we could rebook for later in the year or next year. Asked for the full refund.

Got an email from them today saying that we will get a full refund and have asked to be patient as it could take a few weeks for the money to get to our account. Not bad a 3 day turn around. More than happy to wait as it's money we'd already spent

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2020 at 16:20, vulva said:

You make some really good points, and absolutely not meant as a dig, but you may be out of touch with the price of family holidays these days. 
 

2 weeks in say Cyrpus, 4* AI for the 5 of us in the school holidays and you wouldn’t get much change out of 5k. Clearly ways of doing it cheaper, but it’s not a cheap game these days and school holidays are a killer. 
 

Re Disney, agree, it’s expensive. Educationally very little value. But it’s a one off, and by no means the most expensive. I’m sure you could do it for 7k, and I’m sure you could spend 20k. 

 

I suppose it's all about doing the best for your family and I have never had the kind of disposable income for that kind of holiday. Only 5 star I ever took was two weeks at the Moon Palace in Mexico 10 miles out of Cancun. We were cosseted fabulously but courtesy cars and auto bog paper coming out of the wall and taps with no knobs just weren't my gig. I did say " I could get used to this" but the reality is, I couldn't. I too do Cyprus often on the Turkish side 3 weeks half board twice a year for the two of us 12 to 14 Hundred and count myself blessed. 

 

If you are going to push the boat out a little, then there is nothing better you can do than push it out for your own family. You are probably just as aware as me that there are far too many fellers ...Well you know the rest. So I wish you and yours well for your holiday when it comes around as it will. Have a great time !   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m actually no big fan of the 4/5* AI but it ticks so many boxes for the kids. I’d much prefer the self catering villa type holiday in the likes of Kefalonia, Cyprus, Spain etc.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are having an issue with one of the holiday companies in Cornwall. We had booked two weeks in July at different locations to suit what we had planned. One of the firm's are being very reasonable ,regarding deposits paid,whilst the other are being totally obstructive. Needless to say we won't be bothering then again in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, REDOWL said:

We are having an issue with one of the holiday companies in Cornwall. We had booked two weeks in July at different locations to suit what we had planned. One of the firm's are being very reasonable ,regarding deposits paid,whilst the other are being totally obstructive. Needless to say we won't be bothering then again in the future.

persistence, you will win ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty close to booking Mauritius for Jan 21.

 

Getting impatient and should expect things will be ok by then. Trailfinders offer a fair and reliable refund system and would do so if the holiday needed to be cancelled because of a second wave or anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

persistence, you will win ! 

We are doing mate thanks. If they meet us half way we will be content,if not we will keep hammering away at them. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2020 at 18:59, Justbeanz said:

Took the decision to cancel our August booking.com hotel in Kalkan today. Free cancellation and I didn't fancy stumping up half the payment at the end of this month. Still got the flights so if we can go I'll book another hotel nearer our departure date. Nice to have the Lakes as a fall back, we love it up there.

 

Kalkan is the best place ever

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sam779 did your payments from tui come in dribs and drabs?

 

My missus got 100 quid yesterday morning, and i got 300 and 119.78 last night.

 

I set up a direct debit with 3 payments of 800 quid, which totals the amount left for us to be refunded, so hoping it'll hit my account pretty soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markowl said:

@Sam779 did your payments from tui come in dribs and drabs?

 

My missus got 100 quid yesterday morning, and i got 300 and 119.78 last night.

 

I set up a direct debit with 3 payments of 800 quid, which totals the amount left for us to be refunded, so hoping it'll hit my account pretty soon.


Yes mate, came in 3 stages which was how we paid them.

 

£100 first deposit

£300 second deposit

then final balance

 

Can take a bit longer if your card expired in the interim period, even if it was to the same account. 
 

Our £100 and final balance was the same account but the £100 card had expired so took an extra day or so. The £300 was a different account which card had expired too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sam779 said:


Yes mate, came in 3 stages which was how we paid them.

 

£100 first deposit

£300 second deposit

then final balance

 

Can take a bit longer if your card expired in the interim period, even if it was to the same account. 
 

Our £100 and final balance was the same account but the £100 card had expired so took an extra day or so. The £300 was a different account which card had expired too.

Cheers mate 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...