'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Utterly speculative and based largely on your own prejudice against him. I understand that some people don't like his demeanour, and there are obviously characteristics and incidents that people can list to portray him as some kind of monster. But equally, there are alternative opinions out there about his professionalism, determination and generosity. 

But you seem to have left half of the story untold. You claim his being at the club destroyed something that was previously there. So surely when he left, the cloud was lifted and we returned to previous glories? Hardly. The departures of Di Canio and then Carbone were large strides down the road to the misery of the following two decades and the foundations of where we are now. Not only did the team lose by far it's most creative players, but the collective mismanagement of those at the top cost the club somewhere in the region of £6-8m in potential transfer fees at a time when our debt was mounting to unsustainable levels.

The proof is there in the history books if you care to look concerning the league positions before and after DiCanio, nowt to do with what I thought of him.

The damage was done  concerning the team spirit by the time Dicanio left.

His history through out his time in football is littered with his fall out's with managers, players and fans at several clubs causing splits in the Team squads.

Another quote from back in the day when it had all kicked off and Paolo had been to the meeting about his punishment before being sent home to Italy by the club

"I'm disappointed and I feel sorry for the chairman because he's bent over backwards for him." Wilson said. "We've shown tremendous loyalty and patience to Paolo over the things that have happened in the last few months. I don't think that's been reciprocated."

As you can see - total absolute nonsense from Wilson about the backing Di Canio had received from the club - and all discounted and dismissed since as absolute lunacy of Wilson to say this

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The proof is there in the history books if you care to look concerning the league positions before and after DiCanio

That's total rubbish logic

Many players left the club and many players joined and nearly all the new recruits were worse than the ones they replaced (who weren't great in the first place)

You keep pushing this notion - it's illogical tosh

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Your memory is failing you

Have a read (I have yesterday and the day before) and it might just trigger your memory a little more as to the facts (not opinions - facts)

Your facts....best laugh ever. So are you disputing when he legged it to Italy he said he would be returning to Sheffield Wednesday. Also you claimed it would be unfair to hold back a player going to a bigger club . When challenged if you thought West Ham were a bigger club at the time you failed to respond. Sadly your facts dont quite add up. More smoke and mirrors and inuendo than facts and truths.

50 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Di Canio I will definitely comeback to Sheffield Wednesday.  A lie. Ipso facto. 

Strictly speaking, it was only a lie if he knew at the time he would not do so. Some will claim this was all part of some calculated strategy but I don't believe that. His account is that the club betrayed and abandoned him and made his return impossible for someone of his principles and ego. There is certainly plenty of evidence that he was correct for the most part.

Whether Richards' intention was just to teach the player a lesson in humility and authority, puncture his popularity with the supporters or simply to get rid of him altogether is not clear and I don't believe he has discussed that in any detail since. But given some of the things that have materialised about his character since there are very good reasons for scepticism.

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

Your facts....best laugh ever. So are you disputing when he legged it to Italy he said he would be returning to Sheffield Wednesday. Also you claimed it would be unfair to hold back a player going to a bigger club . When challenged if you thought West Ham were a bigger club at the time you failed to respond. Sadly your facts dont quite add up. More smoke and mirrors and inuendo than facts and truths.

You keep repeating Di Canio legged it to Italy

You do realise he was told to go to Italy by the club?

You do realise that right?

The club told him to go to Italy.

It's all there in black and white in the factual articles written at the time, and confirmed since in interviews by those who were there.

So let's start at this point.

You keep saying Di Canio legged it to Italy

You're WRONG

The club told him to go there.

Owlstalk Shop

That's total rubbish logic

Many players left the club and many players joined and nearly all the new recruits were worse than the ones they replaced (who weren't great in the first place)

You keep pushing this notion - it's illogical tosh

I must be suffering from old age, but I thought we finished 7th in the prem in the 96/97 season and 13th in the 97/98 season, the one full season Dicanio played for the club, I wont say 'us'.

Do you know what really pees me off about this time, fans like you who say Dicanio "Kept us up", he scored 13 goals that season, they must have been the only 13 goals we scored all season, he was brilliant in Goal and of course the number of goal saving tackles he put in was numerous.

You keep repeating Di Canio legged it to Italy

You do realise he was told to go to Italy by the club?

You do realise that right?

The club told him to go to Italy.

It's all there in black and white in the factual articles written at the time, and confirmed since in interviews by those who were there.

So let's start at this point.

You keep saying Di Canio legged it to Italy

You're WRONG

The club told him to go there.

Even DJ Mortimer who is obviously ante Dave Richards seems to recall Di Canio stated he would be back. Im sure the club didnt say go back to Italy then refuse to come back. So your point is ??.

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Even DJ Mortimer who is obviously ante Dave Richards seems to recall Di Canio stated he would be back. Im sure the club didnt say go back to Italy then refuse to come back. So your point is ??.

My point is I'm providing quotes, articles, interviews which have shown that Di Canio was sent to Italy by SWFC

You're (in return) just saying what you think you remember, and from a biased viewpoint

Not sure why you can't grasp this thing about facts vs your opinion

Owlstalk Shop

On 27/03/2020 at 10:15, room0035 said:

I just wish we didn't have to lose this bloke to get him in the first place can you image a team with Di Canio Carbone, and regi Blinker on the wing. 

I thought on the whole Blinker was a disappointment for Wednesday, but his performance against Villa was the best debut performance I have ever seen from a Wednesday player.

When Di Canio was at West Ham United, Alex Ferguson tried a few times to sign him for Manchester United....

Di Canio was the subject of a formal approach from Sir Alex Ferguson. Fergie tried to take Di Canio from West Ham to Old Trafford on two occasions, and for admirers of the Paolo Di Canio story, it’s hard not to romanticise upon the possibility of positive authority, influence and man management, which Ferguson might have provided Di Canio with. A few Premier League winners’ medals would surely have calmed the blazing hunger for proving himself as a young manager years later.

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

My point is I'm providing quotes, articles, interviews which have shown that Di Canio was sent to Italy by SWFC

You're (in return) just saying what you think you remember, and from a biased viewpoint

Not sure why you can't grasp this thing about facts vs your opinion

You seem to think facts are the way you interpret them. (Your opinion ). Danny Wilson clearly stating the club did support Di Canio.  Not relevant in your opinion. Di Canio refusing to come back not relevant (in your opinion ). Di Canio being the root cause of the whole affair by his actions on the field.(maybe thats not relevant ) These are all facts vs your opinion. So drop the condesending approach you have to all who dont agree with your opinion. 

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We got relegated after he left the club mate.

If you are going to make a quote at least use the full text, but you right, we went down at the end of the 99/2000 season, after we continued the policy of purchasing so called crowd pleasing 'Flair' players, Sibon, Debillde and the jocks.

Shreeves and Waddle very nearly kept us up, by bringing in bread & Butter players & winners.

9 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

You seem to think facts are the way you interpret them. (Your opinion ). Danny Wilson clearly stating the club did support Di Canio.  Not relevant in your opinion. Di Canio refusing to come back not relevant (in your opinion ). Di Canio being the root cause of the whole affair by his actions on the field.(maybe thats not relevant ) These are all facts vs your opinion. So drop the condesending approach you have to all who dont agree with your opinion. 

The Irony is strong in this post

Owlstalk Shop