'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

According to the official Premier League site...

1997/8 GOALS           1997/8 ASSISTS

Di Canio 12                 Carbone 6

Carbone 9                   Di Canio 6

Booth 7                       Booth 2

Collins 5                      Briscoe 2

Pembridge 4                Hinchcliffe 2

Whittingham 4             Whittingham 2

Atherton 3                   (no one else had more than 1)

1998/9 GOALS            1998/9 ASSISTS

Carbone 8                    Carbone 6

Booth 6                        Jonk 5

Rudi 6                          Hinchcliffe 4

Alexandersson 3          Alexandersson 3

Di Canio 3 # 8 games     Booth 2

Hinchcliffe 3                 Sonner 2

Sonner 3                      Thome 2

Atherton 2                    (no one else had more than 1)

Jonk 2

You know who we really needed to get rid of...? :dry:

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Jonk 2

League positions please 

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Di Canio brought more than just goals. He provided assists and was a threat that opponents took into account and therefore opened up space for others.

Booth was effective when playing with Carbone but for some reason was happy to see the back of him - have a look at the 96-97 season and see how many of Booth's goals Carbone is involved in. 

Booth certainly didn't become more effective once we had got rid of the Fancy Dans.

West Ham were more successful with Di Canio in the side than they were without him until his 5th season with them which suggests we could have got a couple of good seasons out of him and also shows they got a bargain. We got 12th place followed by relegated. glad we moved on!

How many more tangents are you going to go on to try and prove your point. 

West Ham irrelevent

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is really getting you quite angry isn't it! WTF:

You think we would have got relegated in the season we binned him of had he stayed? The Arsenal game was our 8th of the season and the 3rd won that we won. The other 2 victories were thanks in no small part to his displays and he was our top scorer at the time.

If buts and maybes again.

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Maybe that's why he doesn't like Di Canio? Reminded him too much of his own anger management issues.

Swindon Town 3-2 Rotherham United | League Two match report ...

Yawn 🥱  no answers so infantile attempt at humour.

DJ Mortimer school report.

Must learn that deflecting his shortcomings by attempting to humour his class mates is rather childish.

Must try harder 🤫

19 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Yawn 🥱  no answers so infantile attempt at humour.

DJ Mortimer school report.

Must learn that deflecting his shortcomings by attempting to humour his class mates is rather childish.

Must try harder 🤫

It's strange how furious and defensive this issue has got you.

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Jonk 2

Those days❤️

Guest Willow Owl
9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's strange how furious and defensive this issue has got you.

Just stating facts. What’s strange is your attempt (sorry failed attempt) at humour to try and deflect from answering my points. 

Now run along I have my yoga 🧘‍♂️ to control my anger issues 

4 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Just stating facts. What’s strange is your attempt (sorry failed attempt) at humour to try and deflect from answering my points. 

Now run along I have my yoga 🧘‍♂️ to control my anger issues 

It's also a fact that after the 'fancy dans' left we meekly succumbed to relegation, simply unable to replace their attacking inspiration. After getting 52 goals in their only season together (they got 21 with 12 assists between them), it was 41 the next and 38 the one after that. Points went from 44 to 46 and then a pitiful 31. Can't have your cake and eat it too and pretend that didn't happen.

Seeing as you seem somewhat obsessed by league positions, it's also true that he helped West Ham to Premier League finishes of 5th, 7th and 9th and more remarkably, Charlton to 7th; their highest standing since 1953. He also played significant roles in Juventus winning the 1993 UEFA Cup and AC Milan's Serie A title of 1996. Now I know you'll dismiss that as irrelevant, but again that's special pleading. You can't use one year as 'proof' he did not positively help his team when there are plenty more where he apparently did so very effectively. Even at Celtic, although they won the title after he left, they actually did so with one point and 14 goals fewer than the previous campaign. He of course was named Scottish PFA player of the year in his only season up there. And for someone who apparently held his team back overall, his CV of clubs is quite impressive (even if his attitude caused so many problems).

Tommy Burns described him as "the best player I ever managed", Harry Redknapp said "I loved working with him, he was a pleasure to have around. He was a fantastic footballer". And despite some inference otherwise, one of the best managers this country has ever seen wanted to buy him. One account said it was only the failure to find a buyer for Andy Cole that prevented the deal. But what does Alex Ferguson know about successful teams?

Four Four Two magazine named him the 57th best player of the Premier League era just a few weeks ago, ahead of the likes of David Seaman, Matt Le Tissier, Les Ferdinand, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ian Wright and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The only other (tenuous) link to Wednesday in the top 100 was Jamie Vardy, a few places above him. The year before, The Independent had him 53rd overall and 90 Minutes magazine voted him 40th best striker. A few years back, The Times had him as our club's 18th best ever player. Guess who the only other player from the 1997/8 squad to appear in that top fifty was?

The issue of never playing for his country raised it's head but I posted earlier an extremely impressive list of forwards Italy had at the time. No shame in losing out to that group, and of course his temperament was probably a decisive factor in that, including a row with Fabio Capello and a feud with Giovanni Trapattoni that led him to say that he would only pick Di Canio in the event of "a bubonic plague". There was also a feeling in Italy at the time that they had by far the best league in the world, and players in the UK were rarely considered until later years.

We can all agree that he was petulant, self-indulgent, egotistical, forever on the brink of a tantrum and has alleged political affiliations that most find offensive. None of that is exactly a secret. But this is about how good he was as a footballer and the influence he had on our team at the time. How anyone can suggest we were well rid of him on those terms, given who made up the rest of that squad and how the next 20 years (and counting) turned out is absolutely beyond me. 

Still, at least we could hold our heads high during the last 20 years of poverty, court appearances, playing in the third tier, legal action against small businesses and even supporters, an endless stream of crap footballers, boring performances and embarrassments. 

'Deflecting' from answering your points has now stretched to 19 voluminous pages. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's also a fact that after the 'fancy dans' left we meekly succumbed to relegation, simply unable to replace their attacking inspiration. After getting 52 goals in their only season together (they got 21 with 12 assists between them), it was 41 the next and 38 the one after that. Points went from 44 to 46 and then a pitiful 31. Can't have your cake and eat it too and pretend that didn't happen.

Seeing as you seem somewhat obsessed by league positions, it's also true that he helped West Ham to Premier League finishes of 5th, 7th and 9th and more remarkably, Charlton to 7th; their highest standing since 1953. He also played significant roles in Juventus winning the 1993 UEFA Cup and AC Milan's Serie A title of 1996. Now I know you'll dismiss that as irrelevant, but again that's special pleading. You can't use one year as 'proof' he did not positively help his team when there are plenty more where he apparently did so very effectively. Even at Celtic, although they won the title after he left, they actually did so with one point and 14 goals fewer than the previous campaign. He of course was named Scottish PFA player of the year in his only season up there. And for someone who apparently held his team back overall, his CV of clubs is quite impressive (even if his attitude caused so many problems).

Tommy Burns described him as "the best player I ever managed", Harry Redknapp said "I loved working with him, he was a pleasure to have around. He was a fantastic footballer". And despite some inference otherwise, one of the best managers this country has ever seen wanted to buy him. One account said it was only the failure to find a buyer for Andy Cole that prevented the deal. But what does Alex Ferguson know about successful teams?

Four Four Two magazine named him the 57th best player of the Premier League era just a few weeks ago, ahead of the likes of David Seaman, Matt Le Tissier, Les Ferdinand, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ian Wright and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The only other (tenuous) link to Wednesday in the top 100 was Jamie Vardy, a few places above him. The year before, The Independent had him 53rd overall and 90 Minutes magazine voted him 40th best striker. A few years back, The Times had him as our club's 18th best ever player. Guess who the only other player from the 1997/8 squad to appear in that top fifty was?

The issue of never playing for his country raised it's head but I posted earlier an extremely impressive list of forwards Italy had at the time. No shame in losing out to that group, and of course his temperament was probably a decisive factor in that, including a row with Fabio Capello and a feud with Giovanni Trapattoni that led him to say that he would only pick Di Canio in the event of "a bubonic plague". There was also a feeling in Italy at the time that they had by far the best league in the world, and players in the UK were rarely considered until later years.

We can all agree that he was petulant, self-indulgent, egotistical, forever on the brink of a tantrum and has alleged political affiliations that most find offensive. None of that is exactly a secret. But this is about how good he was as a footballer and the influence he had on our team at the time. How anyone can suggest we were well rid of him on those terms, given who made up the rest of that squad and how the next 20 years (and counting) turned out is absolutely beyond me. 

Still, at least we could hold our heads high during the last 20 years of poverty, court appearances, playing in the third tier, legal action against small businesses and even supporters, an endless stream of crap footballers, boring performances and embarrassments. 

'Deflecting' from answering your points has now stretched to 19 voluminous pages. 

Some good points made there.

Di Canio was one of the most talented footballers we have ever had at our club.

The problem he had was he followed the likes of Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan and Nilsson. Our club legends. Hard to live up to in the eyes of some and it may have taken the shine off just how good a player we actually had.

On 27/03/2020 at 10:12, @owlstalk said:

Ruddy fancy dan squad players

Who do they think they are scoring with their left foot, their right foot, their head etc

We don't need their sort round here

Let's get em out so we can bring in Gilles De Bilde and Llowd Owusu

...but could Di Canio vomit like Owusu? I think not! 

The person that indirectly fvvcked up Di Canio was Dave Richards (stick with me on this). If he hadn’t got rid of Ron Atkinson in his ***-for-tat “revenge” move, the Alcock “shove” incident would’ve been handled better and Di Canio wouldn’t have left. Atkinson had Di Canio eating out of his hand in the same way Redknapp did at West Ham. 

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

...but could Di Canio vomit like Owusu? I think not! 

The person that indirectly fvvcked up Di Canio was Dave Richards (stick with me on this). If he hadn’t got rid of Ron Atkinson in his ***-for-tat “revenge” move, the Alcock “shove” incident would’ve been handled better and Di Canio wouldn’t have left. Atkinson had Di Canio eating out of his hand in the same way Redknapp did at West Ham. 

Totally agree

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Willow Owl
11 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

What was our league position in his one full season with us, Compared to one before and one after?

Did he or did he not cause us to get rid of him by assaulting the referee. ?Just facts please.

Rest of your post is excuses and half truths. Trying to justify why he never made it at the highest level. 

Before any one jumps in. I have never said he wasn’t a good player for us. 

Reading all that has cured my insomnia 

🥱🥱

42 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

What was our league position in his one full season with us, Compared to one before and one after?

Did he or did he not cause us to get rid of him by assaulting the referee. ?Just facts please.

Rest of your post is excuses and half truths. Trying to justify why he never made it at the highest level. 

🥱🥱

Roland Freisler - Wikipedia

7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

🥱🥱

In the season of 1991-92 we finished in 3rd place. In the summer of 1992 we signed Chris Waddle. In 1992-93 we finished 7th and never finished as high as 3rd with Waddle in the side. By your reckoning throughout this thread that would make Waddle an ineffective signing would it not?  

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In the season of 1991-92 we finished in 3rd place. In the summer of 1992 we signed Chris Waddle. In 1992-93 we finished 7th and never finished as high as 3rd with Waddle in the side. By your reckoning throughout this thread that would make Waddle an ineffective signing would it not?  

Irrelevant, answer the question.

3 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Irrelevant, answer the question.

Our league position was lower in the one season he completed for us compared with the season before and after. 

Same applies to Chris Waddle so if that if the basis of your argument then I presume you think Waddle made us worse.

It seems every point that goes against your side of the debate is irrelevant though!