'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

3 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Bad recruitment agreed, but would Di Canio have kept us up not so sure. Just believe he was one flew over the cuckoos nest.

He found his home at West Ham. Don’t  think we were ever going to be club for him no matter what happened after the Alcock debacle.

He was committed and would have died for the cause - unlike the Belgian and 2 cloggies. We were bereft of creativity after he’d gone and reliant on Petter Ruudi. I’ll leave it there  

Hungover in Schipol airport after playing Sparta Rotterdam in a preseason friendly with around 20 of The Gates finest.

Wheeny in a highly excited state returns from a shop waving a copy of the News Of The World.

Banner headlines.........  SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER ARRESTED FOR KERB CRAWLING !

WTF!!! ....... literally minutes later David Pleat walks across the departure lounge!

Absolutely enraged All 20 of us rush across to confront him with paper!

”Er, er ..... it’s not true lads ..... anyway I’m just about to fly to Rome to sign Paulo Di Canio for Sheffield Wednesday”! ........ “Really Dave, do you want to join us for a drink before you go”?

True story

#shallowfans

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Hungover in Schipol airport after playing Sparta Rotterdam in a preseason friendly with around 20 of The Gates finest.

Wheeny in a highly excited state returns from a shop waving a copy of the News Of The World.

Banner headlines.........  SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER ARRESTED FOR KERB CRAWLING !

WTF!!! ....... literally minutes later David Pleat walks across the departure lounge!

Absolutely enraged All 20 of us rush across to confront him with paper!

”Er, er ..... it’s not true lads ..... anyway I’m just about to fly to Rome to sign Paulo Di Canio for Sheffield Wednesday”! ........ “Really Dave, do you want to join us for a drink before you go”?

True story

#shallowfans

lol

Amazing stuff - whats' the chances of that ha ha

Owlstalk Shop

The Football Association has confirmed it will ask Ian Wright, the Arsenal striker, for his comments after an extraordinary attack on the Sheffield Wednesday manager, David Pleat.

Wright reportedly branded Pleat a "pervert" after the Wednesday manager protested to the FA over two alleged incidents involving Wright in the recent Premiership game at Highbury, which the Gunners won 4-1.

Pleat called for an inquiry after Wright pulled the dreadlocks of Wednesday's Regi Blinker and allegedly stamped on the Yugoslav defender, Dejan Stefanovic. The FA said: "We are writing to Ian Wright asking for his observations on the reported comments."

Wright is quoted in a newspaper yesterday as saying: "He [David Pleat] can do what he likes. He can report me to the FA, but I just ask why is he doing it. But if I do have to appear at the FA, I'll have my say about David Pleat. He's a pervert - and you can print that."

Wright was referring to newspaper revelations nine years ago that Pleat was cautioned by police three times for kerb-crawling. The publicity forced him to resign as Tottenham manager. Pleat said yesterday: "Ian has been misled. His words aren't worthy of comment."

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

I was debating the Di Canio situation and had an opinion. Part of one of my posts was then taken and twisted deliberately. I was accused of scaremongering which a ridiculous comment. So I decided I wasn’t having this and defended my corner. If Owlstalk had debated properly and not started with ( I hate it when fans say this  i could shake them, and then accuse me of scaremongering ) then we wouldn’t be where we are now. In no way shape or form was i scaremongering.

Suggest you read your post and decide whether your comment is actually relevant 

to what has been previously said or another one attempting sarcasm. Proves my point really 

Taking no morale high ground just defending myself.

You're being much too defensive. Just think of Owlstalk as the same as any kind of random mob you might come across anywhere. As for this 'clique', there really isn't one. Just as in any other realm, like-minded people will agree with each other and those with opposing viewpoints will argue. @OWLSTALK is the site owner and he does what he must to provoke debate and traffic. By definition, that might make him the establishment, but he's still a nobber. :biggrin:

Just to clarify, I believe he was a good player but not great for us. He could have achieved far more in his career than he actually did. He stood out in a then declining Wednesday team and in my opinion Wednesday were right to get rid.
i cannot see how playing in a mid table team finishing top half 3 times and a relegation is classed as successful stint at West Ham and reason for us to have kept him.

I can well see why people have reservations about Di Canio as a player. He was after all, extraordinarily high maintenance with various consequences. But I don't understand why it was a good idea for us to sell him, given just how empty the tank was for creativity without him and then later, Carbone. And the results after they were manoeuvred away were hardly in keeping with that being in our best interests, both on and off the field.

It's also unfair to cite the league positions of his clubs as if they are somehow his sole responsibility. What difference could one man make to a team comprised of the likes of Collins, Briscoe, Newsome, Atherton, Humphreys, Nolan, Booth, Oakes etc? When we were relegated in 1990, our team included Nigel Pearson, David Hirst, John Sheridan, Roland Nilsson, Carlton Palmer, Kevin Pressman etc. Quite rightly, their reputations at this club have not been damaged by that.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The Football Association has confirmed it will ask Ian Wright, the Arsenal striker, for his comments after an extraordinary attack on the Sheffield Wednesday manager, David Pleat.

Wright reportedly branded Pleat a "pervert" after the Wednesday manager protested to the FA over two alleged incidents involving Wright in the recent Premiership game at Highbury, which the Gunners won 4-1.

Pleat called for an inquiry after Wright pulled the dreadlocks of Wednesday's Regi Blinker and allegedly stamped on the Yugoslav defender, Dejan Stefanovic. The FA said: "We are writing to Ian Wright asking for his observations on the reported comments."

Wright is quoted in a newspaper yesterday as saying: "He [David Pleat] can do what he likes. He can report me to the FA, but I just ask why is he doing it. But if I do have to appear at the FA, I'll have my say about David Pleat. He's a pervert - and you can print that."

Wright was referring to newspaper revelations nine years ago that Pleat was cautioned by police three times for kerb-crawling. The publicity forced him to resign as Tottenham manager. Pleat said yesterday: "Ian has been misled. His words aren't worthy of comment."

Remember Fantasy Football League with David Baddiel and Frank Skinner? They opened one show with David Pleat driving past the window... really slowly.

:laugh:

Just to clarify, I believe he was a good player but not great for us. He could have achieved far more in his career than he actually did. He stood out in a then declining Wednesday team and in my opinion Wednesday were right to get rid.
i cannot see how playing in a mid table team finishing top half 3 times and a relegation is classed as successful stint at West Ham and reason for us to have kept him.

So he "stood out" for us but we were right to get rid?

He helped West Ham qualify for Europe after he left us and they twice finished higher in the league than they had done in the previous 12 seasons with him in the side while we finished 12th followed by 19th. Must have just been a coincidence!  

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

@OWLSTALK is the site owner and he does what he must to provoke debate and traffic.

Can I just clarify the point that I don't post things to provoke traffic.

When I post from this Owlstalk account in debates and discussion I'm posting my genuine views or genuine questions looking for information.

Nothing to do with traffic.

I do like to provoke debate by starting threads like this because I believe you can learn a lot from it, as people tend to post their memories as well as opinions and that's where the real gold is (the stuff Casbah dropped recently about The Casbah and The Owl pub for instance is absolutely priceless information for me, for owls fans and for Sheffield History website readers too)

Anyway - that's that clarified

I thank youuuuuuuuu

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

When I post from this Owlstalk account in debates and discussion I'm posting my genuine views or genuine questions looking for information.

I do like to provoke debate by starting threads like this because I believe you can learn a lot from it, as people tend to post their memories as well as opinions and that's where the real gold is (the stuff Casbah dropped recently about The Casbah and The Owl pub for instance is absolutely priceless information for me, for owls fans and for Sheffield History website readers too)

I thank youuuuuuuuu

That's another reply for the advertisers.

KERRR-CHING !

:laugh:

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I thank youuuuuuuuu

What about when you post from other accounts? :ph34r:

Guest Willow Owl
13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So he "stood out" for us but we were right to get rid?

He helped West Ham qualify for Europe after he left us and they twice finished higher in the league than they had done in the previous 12 seasons with him in the side while we finished 12th followed by 19th. Must have just been a coincidence!  

Like I said, In my opinion he wasn’t that great for us. He was technically one of better players at the club so obviously stood out when he had a good game. 
My opinion to get rid was based solely on his actions on the referee, nothing to do with his ability. I would have said the same if Waddle or Hirst had done similar.

I don’t get why you keep going on about West Ham. It wasn’t as though he joined and suddenly they challenged for the premier league title. He was loved by the fans and pundits for his eccentricities and on the odd occasion of brilliance that’s it.
As stated before, if he was that good how come he never joined a top premier league club and never played for his country at full international level.

Just my opinion

Guest Willow Owl
26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

image.jpg

Paolo Di Canio - Sheffield Wednesday Striker

One flew over the cuckoos nest 😜

16 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Like I said, In my opinion he wasn’t that great for us. He was technically one of better players at the club so obviously stood out when he had a good game. 
My opinion to get rid was based solely on his actions on the referee, nothing to do with his ability. I would have said the same if Waddle or Hirst had done similar.

I don’t get why you keep going on about West Ham. It wasn’t as though he joined and suddenly they challenged for the premier league title. He was loved by the fans and pundits for his eccentricities and on the odd occasion of brilliance that’s it.
As stated before, if he was that good how come he never joined a top premier league club and never played for his country at full international level.

Just my opinion

For pure entertainment he was top notch though

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

Alex Ferguson tried to sign him for Manchester United. But what did he ever achieve?

The Italian squad was stuffed in those positions at that time with the likes of Baggio, Del Piero, Vialli, Totti, Zola, Vieri, Inzaghi, Mancini, Casiraghi, Ravanelli. If you have a large number of quality players like that, you don't need to persist with one who is a borderline nutcase. And didn't he have something of a feud going with one of the national team managers at that time?

Players like Hirst, Waddle and Le Tissier were ignored internationally for lengthy periods despite the clamour to include them from supporters and the media. Doesn't mean they were no good.

And again, there's this strange insistence that he should have been able to single-handedly take mid-table teams to greatness. The basis of our greatest squad in the last half century got relegated in 1990, so numerous quality players didn't make a difference there, never mind isolating one of them.

Di Canio will not go down as an all-time legend like Shearer, Giggs and Dalglish, which is fair enough given their respective achievements. But that doesn't put him in amongst the dross either.

Guest Willow Owl
5 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Alex Ferguson tried to sign him for Manchester United. But what did he ever achieve?

The Italian squad was stuffed in those positions at that time with the likes of Baggio, Del Piero, Vialli, Totti, Zola, Vieri, Inzaghi, Mancini, Casiraghi, Ravanelli. If you have a large number of quality players like that, you don't need to persist with one who is a borderline nutcase. And didn't he have something of a feud going with one of the national team managers at that time?

Players like Hirst, Waddle and Le Tissier were ignored internationally for lengthy periods despite the clamour to include them from supporters and the media. Doesn't mean they were no good.

And again, there's this strange insistence that he should have been able to single-handedly take mid-table teams to greatness. The basis of our greatest squad in the last half century got relegated in 1990, so numerous quality players didn't make a difference there, never mind isolating one of them.

Di Canio will not go down as an all-time legend like Shearer, Giggs and Dalglish, which is fair enough given their respective achievements. But that doesn't put him in amongst the dross either.

Ferguson didn't sign him though did he?Maybe he decided he didn't need the grief that went with him. Or he just wasn’t as good as Giggs and company.

Quoting other Italian players proves he wasn’t a top notch player as I have said

So you agree that he was a borderline nutter?  something I said earlier.

Find any post that I have said he wasn’t a good player ?

Hirst was a great player and at one time was ahead of Shearer. Injuries and off field antics was probably the main reason he didn’t get more caps. Waddle played over 60 times for England so don’t get that one . Le tissier agree should have had a hundred caps in my opinion but emphasis was on fitness and running all day never a strong point of his.

I have made no strange insistence on him having to single handedly take mid table teams to greatness. If you check back I replied to a post that said when he went to West Ham he took them to 2 top half finishes, Europe and a relegation. Something I said was not a mark of his success. Hirstyboywonder was basically saying if we had kept him we would have finished higher. 

His first full season I believe he scored 14 goals and we finished 16th. The previous season Andy Booth scored 13 and we finished 7th. So that argument is shot to bits.

Find anywhere I have said he was dross.

That’s what happens when people quote on snippets and don’t read the full original posts. It means I have to post a lengthy response explaining my comments 

phew