'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

At Barnsley Wilson was managing a bunch of average players who competed above their level and Wilson got the best out of them.

Wednesday was a huge step up in terms of the stature of the club and the stature of the players. Di Canio understandably wanted more from the club, Wilson was incapable of managing him, or any club of stature at that level as his managerial career shows.

How well did Wilson managed to lead the squad after he got what he wanted?

My comments were related to the attitude of Di Canio, not how good a manager Wilson is or was.

Wilson was nowhere near as a good a man manager as Francis in my opinion and he couldn't  match Atkinson, who was one of the best at getting players to work for him.

22 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

The other 9 didn't give a rats arse about what went on the 2 Italians clearly did. De-Bilde, Jonk, Sibon, the O's all here for a pay day and little else. 

The OP is about Di Canio and Carbone and how much Mr Owlstalk loved them and didn't like them being called fancy dans, as was my reply. Agent Wilson's managerial skills are not really a topic for scoring points or is Owlstalk having a kids hour? 

A childish topic with some childish responses, but nothing changes on here no matter what eh?

lol

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

The OP is about Di Canio and Carbone and how much Mr Owlstalk loved them and didn't like them being called fancy dans, as was my reply. Agent Wilson's managerial skills are not really a topic for scoring points or is Owlstalk having a kids hour? 

A childish topic with some childish responses, but nothing changes on here no matter what eh?

Someone's got out of bed the wrong side today

lol

Owlstalk Shop

On 27/03/2020 at 15:35, dorian gray said:

it's a wonder coco didn't resign him, he'd have been his favourite player, does anyone remember jonk making an 'effective' pass?

Yes, lots.

I thought he was very good in his first season.

20 hours ago, markg said:

Yes, lots.

I thought he was very good in his first season.

he was the most passes, for passings sake footballer i can remember, and soon chalked **** on it when he realised wednesday weren't signing the big name players he'd been led to believe they would.

Guest Willow Owl
On 30/03/2020 at 17:40, soldierboyblue said:

You are entitled to your view but as I say the club didn't stand by their man due to the Chairman at the time wanting to further his ambitions - no other reason I'm afraid

Maybe already said, if Di Canio hadn’t pushed the ref then the conspiracy regarding Richards wouldn’t be there. Do the crime do the time ( fancy Dan ).

Guest Willow Owl
On 30/03/2020 at 10:03, soldierboyblue said:

The only reason he left S6 was the club threw him under a bus simple as

He threw himself under the bus by pushing the ref, Forcing Wednesday to make a decision on his future. He was a great player on his day but root cause of the problem was Di Canio himself not Wednesday.

48 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Maybe already said, if Di Canio hadn’t pushed the ref then the conspiracy regarding Richards wouldn’t be there. Do the crime do the time ( fancy Dan ).

Can't have been many instances of a club failing to give legal representation to their player or failing to turn up and take in the official hearing at all.

Regardless of this 'conspiracy' as you call it, Richards (should I call him Sir?) walked out on Wednesday in February 2000 as the club was in the midst of a relegation battle and in the years to come we suffered further misery which was due in no small part to the debts we had at the time he left due to the decisions he had made.

Guest Willow Owl
9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can't have been many instances of a club failing to give legal representation to their player or failing to turn up and take in the official hearing at all.

Regardless of this 'conspiracy' as you call it, Richards (should I call him Sir?) walked out on Wednesday in February 2000 as the club was in the midst of a relegation battle and in the years to come we suffered further misery which was due in no small part to the debts we had at the time he left due to the decisions he had made.

Totally agree regarding Richards and what he did to the club. Which is why I say be careful what some wish for with DC. At least DC has money Richards didn’t have a pot to pee in.

Regarding Di Canio, no matter what is said he caused the situation himself not the club. Don’t get why people talk as though he was some kind of megastar. Imagine if Forestieri had done this ! The melt down on here( boom).

12 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Totally agree regarding Richards and what he did to the club. Which is why I say be careful what some wish for with DC. At least DC has money Richards didn’t have a pot to pee in.

Regarding Di Canio, no matter what is said he caused the situation himself not the club. Don’t get why people talk as though he was some kind of megastar. Imagine if Forestieri had done this ! The melt down on here( boom).

Fair enough. I've never disputed that Di Canio made a stupid mistake but he got the ban the authorities felt he deserved for this, that should have been the end of it. We should have either looked to support Di Canio in a way to get him back into the team or looked to maximise his transfer value. Either way we should have had someone at least representing the club at hearings on the matter. Imagine if Man Utd had hung Cantona out to dry.

Forestieri refused to play for our club when he had been selected to do so and got himself a pay rise shortly after, seems many have recovered from that meltdown. 

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough. I've never disputed that Di Canio made a stupid mistake but he got the ban the authorities felt he deserved for this, that should have been the end of it. We should have either looked to support Di Canio in a way to get him back into the team or looked to maximise his transfer value. Either way we should have had someone at least representing the club at hearings on the matter. Imagine if Man Utd had hung Cantona out to dry.

Forestieri refused to play for our club when he had been selected to do so and got himself a pay rise shortly after, seems many have recovered from that meltdown. 

Would have found it very difficult to maximise his transfer fee after what he did. Maybe the club had already told Di Canio he was finished at Wednesday and they would not be representing him.

Cantona had a massive impact at Man Utd over several seasons. Can hardly say Di Canio had that big an impact on SWFC. 

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Would have found it very difficult to maximise his transfer fee after what he did. Maybe the club had already told Di Canio he was finished at Wednesday and they would not be representing him.

Cantona had a massive impact at Man Utd over several seasons. Can hardly say Di Canio had that big an impact on SWFC. 

Disagree with much of this.

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Totally agree regarding Richards and what he did to the club. Which is why I say be careful what some wish for with DC.

Absolute scaremongering nonsense this. I really hate it when fans say this kind of thing. Talk about fear of change...

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Of course Cantona had a bigger impact but in relative terms Di Canio was still very important to Wednesday, he was our most expensive transfer a little over a year before. His impact was smaller but still very important to us.

Yes we would have found it difficult to maximise his value but the approach we took ensured we further minimised it. If the club told Di Canio he was finished prior to any hearing then this would emphasise the poor approach taken by the club, furhter reducing his value and showing other clubs we had no interest in keeping him.  

34 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

He was for me, the most skilful player flamboyant player I had seen in a Wednesday shirt, the crowd went to watch him not the others. They wanted him to entertain them that's just what he did.

No idea what you mean by he  caused the situation by himself he reacted wrongly but certainly did not plan it if that's what you're suggesting.  He didn't get the support he thought he was deserved so found pastures new.

Wednesday should have made every effort to keep him make him understand that he was wanted.    

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Absolute scaremongering nonsense this. I really hate it when fans say this kind of thing. Talk about fear of change...

I think it’s a good lesson to learn. Be wary of chairmen, CEOs and directors bearing gifts.