'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

3 hours ago, the monk said:

The only reason he left S6 was he deliberately threw himself under a bus simple as 

He did wrong and admitted that - the club did not stand by their player due to Richards wanting to advance to full time Chairman of the PL. Wilson was also responsible for not managing the situation properly.

As I have said - you do this now and it constitutes constructive dismissal  

7 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

So his man management was brilliant at Barnsley and good for nine out of our starting 11 and that is Wilson's fault? 

I loved the two italians, especially when they were on form, but if you can remember or rewatch some of the games again, both players used to spit their dummies out and their performances suffered for it. That is down to their personalitiies and temperaments and once they cross the line there is very little any manager can do about things like that other than try to remind them of what they should be doing, hope they will cool down, or take them off.

At Barnsley Wilson was managing a bunch of average players who competed above their level and Wilson got the best out of them.

Wednesday was a huge step up in terms of the stature of the club and the stature of the players. Di Canio understandably wanted more from the club, Wilson was incapable of managing him, or any club of stature at that level as his managerial career shows.

How well did Wilson managed to lead the squad after he got what he wanted?

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

He was a player of huge ability who was bossing the best in the world two years before he signed for us. When we had him he was nothing like that player. He couldn’t pass, never came forward, and was beaten on a regular basis by average forwards. 
He was rarely injured because he wasn’t putting it in during matches. He was playing and training at half pace and I suspect he wasn’t living the best of lifestyles off the pitch. He was a poor captain and dropped from that position . No other team wanted him hence why he stayed for so long. England dropped him and he never got back in , rightly.

i will always maintain he cheated football and worst himself. I bet he is full of regrets about his career. 

He was at the top of his game when he went to Italy but Sampdoria for some reason chose to play him at full-back. This rocked his confidence and saw him lose his place in the England side.

From 1993-1997 he was excellent for us. Forget the opinions of us fans, you would struggle to find a Wednesday player who played with him who wouldn't pick him in their best 11. Even old non nonsense pro's like Nigel Pearson who was only at Hillsborough with Des for 1 season and spent much of that season injured appreciate his ability at that time.

Yes his lifestyle probably did harm his career, like many professional players of that era. Would you regard David Hirst as a cheat on that basis? 

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He was at the top of his game when he went to Italy but Sampdoria for some reason chose to play him at full-back. This rocked his confidence and saw him lose his place in the England side.

From 1993-1997 he was excellent for us. Forget the opinions of us fans, you would struggle to find a Wednesday player who played with him who wouldn't pick him in their best 11. Even old non nonsense pro's like Nigel Pearson who was only at Hillsborough with Des for 1 season and spent much of that season injured appreciate his ability at that time.

Yes his lifestyle probably did harm his career, like many professional players of that era. Would you regard David Hirst as a cheat on that basis? 

Before I joined the Army I used to be a decorator and we used to decorate a load of pubs. We were doing the White Hart up and Barry was the Landlord and we used to arrive there at about 0745HRS. Well one morning we got there and we were finishing the tap side off and as Barry let us in out staggered Hirsty, Sheridan and CP all pissed off their lids, when went in there must have been about 30 empty pints of the black stuff on 4 tables.

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

He was a player of huge ability who was bossing the best in the world two years before he signed for us. When we had him he was nothing like that player. He couldn’t pass, never came forward, and was beaten on a regular basis by average forwards. 
He was rarely injured because he wasn’t putting it in during matches. He was playing and training at half pace and I suspect he wasn’t living the best of lifestyles off the pitch. He was a poor captain and dropped from that position . No other team wanted him hence why he stayed for so long. England dropped him and he never got back in , rightly.

i will always maintain he cheated football and worst himself. I bet he is full of regrets about his career. 

He was not good at the end of his time with us, and Pleat has written about his frustration that Walker did as he pleased, on and off the pitch (more as a freelancer rather than a waster). But until it was clear the club was going down the dumper (1999 onwards) I simply don't recall this picture of Walker you paint here. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

On the 'Gordon Watson' thread on here there's 5 or 6 Wednesday teams selected and all of them feature Walker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

He did wrong and admitted that - the club did not stand by their player due to Richards wanting to advance to full time Chairman of the PL. Wilson was also responsible for not managing the situation properly.

As I have said - you do this now and it constitutes constructive dismissal  

And if you pushed a ref over it used to be a life ban 

The bloke wanted out and he got out ,and claimed that the nasty club didnt grovel round him 

He eventually found a club that would suck up to his personality 

Wasnt it a standing joke among West Ham fans about his mysterious injuries on long away days ( could be wrong)

13 minutes ago, the monk said:

The bloke wanted out and he got out ,and claimed that the nasty club didnt grovel round him 

Wasnt it a standing joke among West Ham fans about his mysterious injuries on long away days ( could be wrong)

You are entitled to your view but as I say the club didn't stand by their man due to the Chairman at the time wanting to further his ambitions - no other reason I'm afraid

38 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He was not good at the end of his time with us, and Pleat has written about his frustration that Walker did as he pleased, on and off the pitch (more as a freelancer rather than a waster). But until it was clear the club was going down the dumper (1999 onwards) I simply don't recall this picture of Walker you paint here. 

26 minutes ago, Nut said:

On the 'Gordon Watson' thread on here there's 5 or 6 Wednesday teams selected and all of them feature Walker.

Of course - given his fellow defenders were the likes of Peter Atherton and Simon Coleman- he is going to feature in best XI's.  This is, after all, one of Englands best ever centre backs in his prime and, along with Gazza and Lineker, the star of the 1990 WC for England (as opposed to a hod carrier in the case of Andy Pearce),

Walker was nowhere near the player we thought we were getting.  We were tipped to win the league in 93/94 on back of him signing.  Instead, he offered no upgrade on the 37 year old Viv Andersen and some of his performances even in that first season were a shambles.  He is arguably the highest pedigree footballer in his prime we have ever signed - it was headline news at the time - and he wasn't good enough.  As I have said, only he will know why that is.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, the monk said:

He may well have wanted out but his attitude to training has never been called into question, nor has his effort when he was with us. His temperament suggested he had that kind of incident with the ref in him and wasn't some he did specifically to manufacture a move. He got sent off for arguing about a throw-in earlier in his time at Hillsborough.

For a club to fail to represent their most expensive signing with legal representation or having club representatives with him at his hearing speaks volumes about the effort we went to in order to keep him and as he says, our approach helped to decrease his market value. Richards didn't want to kick up a fuss and left us behind at a time when we should have been fighting for top flight survival.  

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Of course - given his fellow defenders were the likes of Peter Atherton and Simon Coleman- he is going to feature in best XI's.  This is, after all, one of Englands best ever centre backs in his prime and, along with Gazza and Lineker, the star of the 1990 WC for England (as opposed to a hod carrier in the case of Andy Pearce),

Walker was nowhere near the player we thought we were getting.  We were tipped to win the league in 93/94 on back of him signing.  Instead, he offered no upgrade on the 37 year old Viv Andersen and some of his performances even in that first season were a shambles.  He is arguably the highest pedigree footballer in his prime we have ever signed - it was headline news at the time - and he wasn't good enough.  As I have said, only he will know why that is.  

Sinton would push him close wouldnt he. 

Definitely didnt get the player we thought we were there.

46 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He was not good at the end of his time with us, and Pleat has written about his frustration that Walker did as he pleased, on and off the pitch (more as a freelancer rather than a waster). But until it was clear the club was going down the dumper (1999 onwards) I simply don't recall this picture of Walker you paint here

Same here. In fact I'm amazed to find a Wednesday fan (if he really is one) with a bad word to say about Des Walker.

Let's not forget that he was 28 in the year that we signed him and for another 4-5 years he was simply superb for us, in fact I still maintain that Walker almost singlehandedly kept us in the Premier League for a number of seasons with the amount of points that he saved us. Yes his overall game declined as he got older, as it does for every footballer who ever played, but by 1999 he was 34 and inevitably for a player whose pace was his greatest asset his performances were below his previous high standards but to use him not being as good as he used to be towards the end of his career as a stick to beat him with is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, the monk said:

Don't believe the hype

The club shunned him over the referee incident
Dave Richards feathered his nest at the Premier League

The club told Di Canio to go to Italy
They then sold him to West Ham United
Dave Richards then up and left himself to a plush job

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't believe the hype

The club shunned him over the referee incident
Dave Richards feathered his nest at the Premier League

The club told Di Canio to go to Italy
They then sold him to West Ham United
Dave Richards then up and left himself to a plush job

I take it you've read Paolo's book? The writing was on the wall before the Alcock incident.

Remember being gutted reading it as he goes on about how much he loves Celtic and West Ham, us not so much.

Compare that to CP's book.

He was a tremendous player though

3 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I take it you've read Paolo's book? The writing was on the wall before the Alcock incident.

Remember being gutted reading it as he goes on about how much he loves Celtic and West Ham, us not so much.

Compare that to CP's book.

He was a tremendous player though

Why would he remember us as fondly as he does West Ham or Celtic? 

He had one season where he was very good for us but as a team we struggled for much of the season. In the summer we got rid of a manager who he had developed an understanding with an replaced him with a manager completely out of depth at this level who publicly labeled him as a Fancy Dan within a couple of months. Di Canio then did something stupid but instead of offering support, standing by him, helping to rehabilitate him, our club threw the book at him before the FA had the chance to do so and left him to fend for himself. 

Yes the writing was on the wall before the Alcock incident because our inept manager had wasted money on inferior players and had always set out to get rid of the two Italians. Wilson took us down. 

7 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I really don't remember him like that at all. I thought he was fantastic for us. I can't honestly remember him having a bad game. 

1 hour ago, the monk said:

There was a myth on here some time ago about getting himself suspended or injured for a Christmas holiday, but I looked it up before and if my memory serves me correctly he may have missed no games at British clubs during those periods apart from this pantomime. It's a reflection of some of the prejudice that some people have for him, whether that really be due to his temper, ego, madness, politics or whatever (and it's no secret what a challenge he was to manage). Anyone who worked with him will tell you he was one of the most committed professionals they ever worked with, even if they thought he was a nutcase.

It seems to me you are willfully ignoring all the suggestions that the incident was rather more complicated than a mardy megalomaniac wanting to be treated like the emperor and manufacturing his departure when he couldn't have that. Our chairman escapes scrutiny despite some well documented reservations about him. But then he didn't wave his arms around and shout at people. For example, when it became clear there was an impasse between player and club, who was the one trying to organise a meeting to sort out the problems? Who was slagging off who in the press, even before the Alcock incident? Why did the club leave the player largely to his own devices and expense in the disciplinary hearing? Which party was caught out in a lie by a Sky Sports reporter? Who was allegedly eyeing a lucrative future opportunity with an employer who they might have been in conflict with by following the policy looking after the club's best interests?

But Richards was doubly at fault. Not only did he ignore both of the best options (restore Di Canio to the team or maximise his value for sale) for a hopelessly damaging one, but he'd set the wheels in motion by spitefully sacking Ron Atkinson and replacing him with the hapless Danny Wilson in the first place. There was mutual respect between player and manager that simply did not exist for the latter. It's not difficult to imagine Atkinson managing this situation to the club's benefit, one way or the other.

Edited by DJMortimer