'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

4 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Contributing more to the team doesn’t make them a better player though. Bar Hirsty and Waddle none of the others remotely had the talent of Di Canio I’m afraid and as I say if Wilson could actually have managed we wouldn’t be actually talking about this now 

So if contribution to the team doesn’t make them better players then I’m totally lost.  It’s a team game, not a footballing version of X Factor.

As I said earlier, not many people would accuse  Trapattoni or Capello of being poor managers and they both showed Di Canio the door.  He was a talented player for sure, far more talented than some on my list, but also a deeply flawed individual who played predominantly for himself.  I was happy to see him leave af the time and have few really fond memories of him playing for the Owls.

Di canio s fitness levels and commitment to training were legendary. Benny the same. Yet our fans cheered des walker every match like a hero despite him putting in at best 60 percent effort for his last 5 years at the club. I

this is a non argument . Wilson was wrong then and he looks even more stupid in hindsight.

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Another article - this time from 1999 after Di Canio was long gone, and this time about the Carbone situation featuring Danny Wilson's extraordinary method of man managing the situation (by not even talking to Carbone anymore)

THE SHEFFIELD Wednesday manager Danny Wilson believes Benito Carbone is no longer committed to the club.

Carbone is almost certain to be dropped from today's side for the visit of Everton to Hillsborough as Wilson feels the striker is not prepared to give his all for the Owls. The 28-year-old is still in under a cloud with Wilson after staging a dressing room walk-out before the defeat at Southampton two weeks ago.

The Italian was informed he would be a substitute for the game at The Dell and after a confrontation with Wilson caught a taxi to Gatwick, where he flew home to Italy for a holiday.

Wilson fined the player two weeks' wages - which he believes was not enough - and, despite an apology, forced him to train with the juniors upon his return to Sheffield.

Although Carbone is back training with the first team, Wilson admits that an uneasy peace exists between the player and his team-mates - with silence between manager and player.

"I've not spoken to him at all and the reason is we're still waiting for him to come back to us," Wilson said. "He might have returned but I don't think Beni understands the severity of what he did.

"Beni's been punished. He was fined two weeks' wages which I thought was very light in consideration of what he did. But everything has to be for Wednesday's benefit. If we feel Beni Carbone can benefit the football club, then so be it.

"I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face. But we've a player there who can do the business, although at the same time we have to make sure he is committed. So it's now down to him. It's whether he's prepared to play football."

Carbone refused to talk to waiting reporters and television cameras yesterday, except to state: "I am ready to play," and "ask the manager" when asked to whether he will resume his Wednesday career.

A huge problem for Wilson is the possible reaction of the players, with the Norwegian international Petter Rudi having asserted that the Italian should never have returned.

Unbelievable. Wilson wanted them both out from before his 'Fancy Dan' comments and eventually got his wish. He effectively replaced them with Sibon and De Bilde, say no more.

Watch the season review of the 998-99 season - Carbone was brilliant at times during that campaign. Before his Arsenal indiscretion Di Canio has been inspirational in wins against Blackburn and Spurs that season. In 196-97 Carbone forged a good understanding with Booth, they worked well together. Wilson wanted them out and refused to pick Carbone regularly, starting the season on the bench. Wilson got what he wanted by October 1999 but ended up getting us relegated.

As has been said, Di Canio has been a pain in the backside for managers throughout his career but few if any have questioned his work rate in training and effort on the pitch, hardly the perception of a 'Fancy Dan'.

Ask Ron Atkinson what he thought of Di Canio. Atkinson was past his best as a manager at that time but I would rather have him in charge at that point than Wilson without a doubt. Wilson did well with Barnsley - over-achieved with a modest squad. He wasn't capable of managing a club of our stature at that time or players of that stature and his managerial career shows he never got close to that level again. Richards made a spiteful choice in relation to Atkinson and a career choice in relation to Di Canio and has moved onwards and upwards since leaving us in the position we were in during our relegation season. 

28 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Just imagine sacking Ron Atkinson for Danny Wilson. As bad a decision as you will get in football. Still paying for it now.

If my memory serves me well, aka Julie Driscol, then most of the fans were screaming to get Wilson at the time.

And 'Big Ron' recommended he take the job.

Remember when Danny Wilson had pushed the Fancy Dan players out of the reckoning (Carbone was reduced to a seat on the bench for this one and replaced by Gilles De Bilde) and THIS happened?

G De Bilde
K Pressman
E Thome
D Walker
D Sonner
A Booth
P Rudi
N Alexandersson 
  • 0th minute
I Nolan
S Donnelly
J Newsome
Substitutes
B Carbone
G Sibon
S Haslam
P O'Donnell
P Srnicek

Owlstalk Shop

25 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

If my memory serves me well, aka Julie Driscol, then most of the fans were screaming to get Wilson at the time.

And 'Big Ron' recommended he take the job.

Some fans were definitely calling for Wilson yeah!

That was after Dave Richards decided to stab Big Ron in the back and not renew his contract

Big Ron had been offered a three year deal when he first arrived but instead at the time of coming to the club told Dave Richards he'd do his job, and then they could sit down at a later date to discuss a longer contract.

Big Ron did the business for us and yet Richards decided to head off to Europe to find a new manager and get rid of Big Ron.

He failed in his attempts to bring a few to the club like Walter Smith etc and ended up having to go for Danny Wilson

Wilson called Big Ron when he was offered the job, and Big Ron told Wilson he should take it.

So Dave Richards effectively did get rid of Big Ron and replaced him with Danny Wilson

Absolute lunacy

Owlstalk Shop

5 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

So if contribution to the team doesn’t make them better players then I’m totally lost.  It’s a team game, not a footballing version of X Factor.

As I said earlier, not many people would accuse  Trapattoni or Capello of being poor managers and they both showed Di Canio the door.  He was a talented player for sure, far more talented than some on my list, but also a deeply flawed individual who played predominantly for himself.  I was happy to see him leave af the time and have few really fond memories of him playing for the Owls.

See previous comments on contribution

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wilson got what he wanted, these 'marquee' players out of the club. Tell me what happened following that.........

He brought in his own marquee players, like Jonk,  De Bilde and the O'Donnelly brothers. 

All on bigger wages than Di Canio :ghoulguy:

Benito Carbone believes it might never have gone wrong were it not for a row about the odd pint of beer.

The alice-banded Italian midfielder and his compatriot Paolo Di Canio had formed a near telepathic on-pitch bond at Hillsborough in the mid- to late 90s but a damaging dressing-room schism was already developing.

“Playing with Paolo at Wednesday was magical,” Carbone recently recalled. “But there were problems in the dressing room; two Italians on one side and the English on the other. The problem was they all wanted to go out for a pint but I didn’t drink. That’s where it all went wrong. If I had my time again I’d go out with them, have a Coke, and joke about it.”

Owlstalk Shop

In 1999 both Carbone and Di Canio – who infamously pushed over the referee Paul Alcock the previous year – departed; in 2000 Wednesday were relegated from the Premier League with Peter Shreeves unable to halt a slide which saw Danny Wilson sacked in the March. Wilson’s exit had been preceded by calls for his head from four local MPs including David Blunkett, the former home secretary.

By then complacency and arrogance had long since set in – how else was the temperamental Dutch midfielder Wim Jonk granted a contract offering him £5,000-a-game appearance money, payable even when he did not actually appear?

Small wonder Wednesday arrived in what is now the Championship nursing crippling debts.

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Trapattoni and Capello were managers of some of the best sides in the world at that time. Di Canio might well have been frustrated at not getting in the Milan side at that time, he wasn't top of the pecking order and no surprise he left them really to get more games. He wasn't at that level but he was certainly more than good enough to play for us and raise our level. His attitude to training and fitness has never been called into question, unlike some of the many inferior players we have had since.

Wilson was not capable of managing them effectively, he replaced them with inferior players, the team got worse and as a result got relegated. No surprise that no club has ever risked giving Danny Wilson the managerial position at anything close to that level since then.  

I have very few memories of seeing anyone of that kind of ability play for Wednesday since Wilson got rid of the Fancy Dans.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Di canio s fitness levels and commitment to training were legendary. Benny the same. Yet our fans cheered des walker every match like a hero despite him putting in at best 60 percent effort for his last 5 years at the club. I

this is a non argument . Wilson was wrong then and he looks even more stupid in hindsight.

60 percent effort? When was that? Walker was amazing for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nut said:

60 percent effort? When was that? Walker was amazing for us. 

He was a cheat.  He cheated football at Wednesday. He was one of the worlds best defenders in 1991, the version we got in 1993 was a shadow of that player and he only has himself to blame.  From 1997 onwards he was a joke.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

He was a cheat.  He cheated football at Wednesday. He was one of the worlds best defenders in 1991, the version we got in 1993 was a shadow of that player and he only has himself to blame.  From 1997 onwards he was a joke.

Think you will be in the minority with that view. His move to Italy didn't work out and as a result he never hit the heights he had set before that but from 93-97 he was very good for us. Being partnered with the likes of Andy Pearce and having Ian Nolan in the back 4 didn't help our goals against record at the time but it was obvious that Des was class at that time. By 98 he had gone and the last couple of years were two too many for us.