panda800

Wednesday players you used to love to hate

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, panda800 said:

Phil Henson    hated  that fool   no idea why  I was only 10 at  the time

Henson.jpg

Yeah, I was going to post Phil Henson when I saw the title of the thread. He had no confidence and the (meagre) crowd would get on his back. In a game I think I remember, he scored and we got a penalty soon after and he stepped up to take it, and hit the bar. Went from all is forgiven back to you utterly useless thrower in the space of five minutes. 

Edited by trumbullowl
extra text

5 hours ago, jp1981 said:

Peter Atherton for me. Still to this day don't know how he played that many games. Also Paul mclaren. Especially when he got his self sent off and we lost 5 nil, I think. 

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Hate is a very strong word...................i strongly disliked ;

John Holsgrove

Colin West

Mark Pembridge

Darren Wood

Ian Cranson

Simon Coleman

Giles De Bilde

Darren Purse

Jay Bothroyd

And there is a special dark corner for Peter Atherton and Ian Nolan...........their signings epitomised the end of the great era........they were lauded by a sizeable section of our fanbase   (probably the same ones that liked Dave Jones or defend Pelupessy)    and couldnt wait to jump ship once we were relegated.

Think you've both been a bit harsh on Atherton. He was a level below what we had become used to in the early 90's but he was an honest enough pro and could never be accused of being a waster like some in this thread. Following Nilsson at right-back was a tough ask.

Nolan was a bit different as he came with a bit of a growing reputation but never really lived up to it. I remember he was interviewed after a 4-1 defeat at Liverpool. He put us 1-0 up and was asked as a scouser about how he felt on scoring at Anfield - he said it was a great feeling but he would have rather it have been for Liverpool and not against them. Understandable perhaps in retrospect as a Liverpool fan looking back on your career years later but not a great comment to make at the time. 

I have never really hated any of our players, its just that some have been fantastically disappointing, and some have been sooooooooo frustrating.  Others have just been carp.

Chris Sedgwick - just never seemed to notice him doing anything good.

The late Klas Ingerson... played 57 times for a very good Sweden side, scoring goals for fun, and yet when he pulled on the Wednesday shirt, he became a jibbering wreck.

Went to a pre-season friendly at Kettering. Not many there (apart from a few hundred Wednesday fans) so you could hear every word shouted on the pitch. David Hirst with loads of room in the six yard box and the Swedish winger decided to try and beat the full back again, instead of rolling an easy pass to the unmarked Hirst, but could only waft the ball out for a goal kick. Hirsty was somewhat displeased and issued a tirade of abuse even 70s club comedian would have been pleased to part with.

Hated that Terry Henfleet.

Can't remember him having one decent game all the time he played for us.lol

14 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Hated that Terry Henfleet.

Can't remember him having one decent game all the time he played for us.lol

Another one of those 'fancy dan' footballers we had

Hate is a strong word never hated anyone. 

Disliked attitude/Performance/Failed to live up to standard:

Leon Knight  - attitude 

Jay Bothroyd - attitude

Wim Jonk - performance/attitude/standard 

Andy Hinchcliffe - performance/failed standard

Aidan Mcgeady - attitude/performance

Kenny Lunt - Failed standard

Etinenne Esjas - Failed standards

8 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Hate is a very strong word...................i strongly disliked ;

John Holsgrove

Colin West

Mark Pembridge

Darren Wood

Ian Cranson

Simon Coleman

Giles De Bilde

Darren Purse

Jay Bothroyd

And there is a special dark corner for Peter Atherton and Ian Nolan...........their signings epitomised the end of the great era........they were lauded by a sizeable section of our fanbase   (probably the same ones that liked Dave Jones or defend Pelupessy)    and couldnt wait to jump ship once we were relegated.

Years ago  I saw ian Cranson walking up and down  high street  near the blue bell  he  looked  lost   and  yes he had  that bandana on😃

Wasn't fond of Gary Madine. He did well initially, but I always thought he was a bit of a bell. 

Simon Stainrod, Chris Woods and Andy Sinton

1 hour ago, matt68owls said:

Simon Stainrod, Chris Woods and Andy Sinton

Why wilkinson bought  him I never know  didnt he know about the Oldham  game    cracking goal he scored  at forrest though