Wednesday players you used to love to hate

The real pantomime villains in my time are Jeffers, Lunt, Beswetherick, Bothroyd. Only other one is Fox who has turned it round to his credit.

Fore me personally it's Jimmy Smith, the Chelsea loanee. Genuinely cannot put to words how angry I was when he got sent off at St Andrew's. 

If we're including current players though it's easily Palmer the soft shyte, bottling challenges and headers for 10 years now :angry:

3 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Darren Potter

Heard a few ex pros/teammates say recently that he had bags of ability, but only wanted to pass back and sideways in games. It just isn’t what you pay to watch as a fan. 

Interestingly, Darren Purse named him and Michael Gray as the big characters of the dressing room when he arrived. Shame his performances on the pitch showed all the character of a wet fart

Wim Jonk. I was young, and put his name on the back of that strange yellow away kit we launched that year. It didn't take long for me to be too embarrassed to wear the shirt in public!

Quality world cup player, only 4 letters, what could go wrong? 

lol

• Haha 3

Trevor Phillips of Rotherham was a player I admired, so why the hell did we buy Steve Downes ? Holsgrove too, he despised Swann for his status as the senior and tried at evert turn to undermine him. Never worked at Swann went on to a few good seasons at Bury then lead (Macclesfield ?) to Wembley cup win. 

2 hours ago, bobness said:

Wim Jonk. I was young, and put his name on the back of that strange yellow away kit we launched that year. It didn't take long for me to be too embarrassed to wear the shirt in public!

Quality world cup player, only 4 letters, what could go wrong? 

lol

I got Hinchcliffe on the back of mine if you mean that yellow, blue and white shirt. In hindsight I should have gone for Alexanderson on the back of it.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

I got Hinchcliffe on the back of mine if you mean that yellow, blue and white shirt. In hindsight I should have gone for Alexanderson on the back of it.

Moneybagger! 

Do you recall how much they charged for each letter? Was it 2 quid? 

Just now, bobness said:

Moneybagger! 

Do you recall how much they charged for each letter? Was it 2 quid? 

Dont think it was that much or like you I would have went for Jonk.

Maybe a fiver a big number then a quid a letter sounds about right. 

Thinking about it he was number 20 Hinchcliffe wasn't he. That's bloody expensive still.

Must have got some good pocket money that week.

lol

• Haha 1

This thread just highlights the fact we've had some right rubbish play for the club since around 1998.

Totally depressing.

Going back to the Coronavirus thread to cheer myself up!! 😂😂😂.

Edited by Danish

10 hours ago, panda800 said:

Phil Henson    hated  that fool   no idea why  I was only 10 at  the time

Henson.jpg

I remember him playing for Rotherham at Hillsborough around 1981. He fluffed a chance at the kop end and almost to a man the whole kop was singing "F*ck off Henson, F*ck off Henson"

I can still see the look of amazement on his face as he gazed up at the crowd.

Hate is a very strong word...................i strongly disliked ;

John Holsgrove

Colin West

Mark Pembridge

Darren Wood

Ian Cranson

Simon Coleman

Giles De Bilde

Darren Purse

Jay Bothroyd

And there is a special dark corner for Peter Atherton and Ian Nolan...........their signings epitomised the end of the great era........they were lauded by a sizeable section of our fanbase   (probably the same ones that liked Dave Jones or defend Pelupessy)    and couldnt wait to jump ship once we were relegated.

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

John Holsgrove

Colin West

Mark Pembridge

Darren Wood

Ian Cranson

Simon Coleman

Giles De Bilde

Darren Purse

Jay Bothroyd

And there is a special dark corner for Peter Atherton and Ian Nolan...........their signings epitomised the end of the great era........they were lauded by a sizeable section of our fanbase   (probably the same ones that liked Dave Jones or defend Pelupessy)    and couldnt wait to jump ship once we were relegated.

bit harsh on Atherton , his contract was up and I doubt the club having been relegated could give him a new one on the same terms …...I think he did the club a favour as they were desperate to cut the wage bill with contracted crap like jonk,de bilde, rudi,hinchcliffe ,the 2 scots and many others content to see out there prem contracts dossing in the 2nd division .

15 hours ago, panda800 said:

Phil Henson    hated  that fool   no idea why  I was only 10 at  the time

Henson.jpg

Yeah, I was going to post Phil Henson when I saw the title of the thread. He had no confidence and the (meagre) crowd would get on his back. In a game I think I remember, he scored and we got a penalty soon after and he stepped up to take it, and hit the bar. Went from all is forgiven back to you utterly useless thrower in the space of five minutes. 

Edited by trumbullowl
extra text

5 hours ago, jp1981 said:

Peter Atherton for me. Still to this day don't know how he played that many games. Also Paul mclaren. Especially when he got his self sent off and we lost 5 nil, I think. 

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

John Holsgrove

Colin West

Mark Pembridge

Darren Wood

Ian Cranson

Simon Coleman

Giles De Bilde

Darren Purse

Jay Bothroyd

Think you've both been a bit harsh on Atherton. He was a level below what we had become used to in the early 90's but he was an honest enough pro and could never be accused of being a waster like some in this thread. Following Nilsson at right-back was a tough ask.

Nolan was a bit different as he came with a bit of a growing reputation but never really lived up to it. I remember he was interviewed after a 4-1 defeat at Liverpool. He put us 1-0 up and was asked as a scouser about how he felt on scoring at Anfield - he said it was a great feeling but he would have rather it have been for Liverpool and not against them. Understandable perhaps in retrospect as a Liverpool fan looking back on your career years later but not a great comment to make at the time. 

I have never really hated any of our players, its just that some have been fantastically disappointing, and some have been sooooooooo frustrating.  Others have just been carp.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"