Waddle thinks he disappointed us!!!

2 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

That's probably because he only played 2 seasons in the Prem before going back to Sweden (ignore his time at Coventry as he was passed his best by then) and he didn't play for Man Utd or Arsenal. If he was playing now, he'd probably be at Man City. IIRC he was voted into the team of the tournament at the '94 World Cup.

jorginho was the right back in the team of the tournament …...not knocking the bloke coz we all know how good he was but he's a non runner to everyone else .

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:14, torryowl said:

and ron springett …...

I thought about Ron Springett as a possible world class player but there were two 'keepers even better than him in the '66 World Cup finals - Gordon Banks and Lev Yashin

On 26/03/2020 at 21:52, Ian Fleming said:

Best thing I ever witnessed was at home to Arsenal on one of the rare occasions we were beating them.

Waddle was having a great game and in a lull in play, David Seaman raced out of his area and screamed to the then manager, Stewart Houston " What the f**k are we going to do about Waddle?"

They couldn't get near him that day and I think we beat them 3-1.

We beat Arsenal more often than not at Hillsborough iirc

What a waste of money was my first thought when we bought him, a has been, just looking for his last pay off.  But what a player amazing to watch and seemed to play just for the hell of it. 

Did the same trick every time, he knew what he was gonna do, the defender knew what he was gonna do, the crowd knew what he was gonna do and he didn't disappoint, dropped his shoulder to go one way but then went the other way and nothing the defender could do about it.   

Never disappointed me, worth every penny. 

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I thought about Ron Springett as a possible world class player but there were two 'keepers even better than him in the '66 World Cup finals - Gordon Banks and Lev Yashin

theres probably 4 or 5  better wingers than waddle  in his prime  but that don't stop him being a  class act ……waddle like springett was a very good international player whether they were world class is down to opinions … 

• Haha 1

Waddle and Sheridan were pure class, the way they made it look so effortless, spraying the ball about beautifully, creating so many goals for others. My absolute favourite time watching Wednesday was when Waddle and Sheridan were both in the side. An absolute pleasure to watch. The way they created space and played in or set up others so many times was top class. I doubt we'll ever see that calibre of player in a Wednesday shirt ever again in our lifetime.

I remember going into an RE lesson at school in June 92 and the teacher was a Liverpool fan saying 'oh Wednesday are signing Chris Waddle' 'I was like **** off!' he was like no he's signing.....anyway look on bbc teletext confirmed that. Had the pleasure of meeting him on my 14th birthday at the Spora game. Living in Cumbria it was nearly 3hrs to Hillsborough so a strategical 'dentist appointment' gets me out of school for the afternoon :) So we were at Hillsborough early, Dad bought me the new shirt for my birthday so we were having a wonder round the ground around 530 at the back of the south stand. Dad asked the steward on the door 'oh do you mind if we use the bookies upstairs please' 'aye get yourself up'......anyway as me & dad are looking at the sheet for the game about what to invest on. Who pops in having a bet for him and the rest of the lads, yes 'God' himself my dad was like 'alright Chris how's it going?' We must of spent a good 10 mins talking to him and he wished me a happy birthday. One thing I remember was my dad asking him how long will it take you to settle in? 'It normally takes 6-9 months when going to a new club, specially coming from a different country' We all know what happened next that amazing season we had. I had him to score first that night and thankfully he delivered. 

Without a doubt the best player i've seen for us - Hirsty, Sheridan, Nilsson, Walker, Di Canio all up there. WAWAW

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 23:59, torryowl said:

theres probably 4 or 5  better wingers than waddle  in his prime  but that don't stop him being a  class act ……waddle like springett was a very good international player whether they were world class is down to opinions … 

I agree. The sobriquet "World Class" is very subjective and therefore bound to be controversial but many might agree that Waddle, at his best, was the best player ever seen in a Wednesday shirt, especially in the post-war era.

Waddle was not only rated very highly in the grounds, the pubs and the clubs around the country. He won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award at the height of his form in 1993, an accolade shared in other years with players like Jurgen Klinsmann, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and many other "world class" players.

And let's not forget that Wednesday have seen the best of many seasoned internationals in their ranks. Much as how good the likes of Peter Rodrigues, Nigel Worthington, Chris Woods, Carlton Palmer and many other similar full internationals might have been, despite their decorative history in terms of numbers of caps, none had the impact that Waddle had in the four seasons he was at Hillsborough.

On 28/03/2020 at 22:35, Inspector Lestrade said:

What a waste of money was my first thought when we bought him, a has been, just looking for his last pay off.  But what a player amazing to watch and seemed to play just for the hell of it. 

Did the same trick every time, he knew what he was gonna do, the defender knew what he was gonna do, the crowd knew what he was gonna do and he didn't disappoint, dropped his shoulder to go one way but then went the other way and nothing the defender could do about it.   

Never disappointed me, worth every penny. 

Everyone knew what he was going to do but not when he was going to do it.