Waddle thinks he disappointed us!!!

No way did he disappoint us.

Like one or two other posters, I was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him as I thought he was past it. What do I know? Unbelievable player, could play the simple ball, the difficult ball, beat a man with a shuffle of his hips (the Ryan Giggs incident being a prime example). Everyone thinks he was very left footed, but his right foot wasn't bad either. Check out the first goal in the second leg of the Blackburn semi. He makes the left back look a right numpty with a very clever turn then a pin point cross with his right foot giving Hirst a straight forward header to settle our nerves

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

probably but only if we were picking the team …..when it comes to picking a best prem 11 he never seems to get a mention from the "experts"

Because the"experts"don't look.outside the Premier League. 

With his genius he should really have scored more goals for us. But he will rightfully go down as one of the greatest players we have had in the post-war era. For him to win a national award at our club like that of the Football Writers Association in 1993 is quite remarkable when you think about it. Shame we got so tantalisingly close to major honours without grabbing at least one.

Got to love this...

During my lifetime and my entire time following football and being a Wednesday fan, Waddle is one of the few truly top class players with European and World class pedigree that we've had.

He's up there with the likes of Sheridan; Hirst, Di Canio and Carbone, as one of our most exciting players we've had in my lifetime. He's up there with some of the classiest players we've ever had, especially during my lifetime, alongside the likes of Sheridan; Nilsson, Harkes and Walker. He's also got to be up there as one of our genuine top pedigree modern day players during my lifetime, alongside the likes of Nilsson, Harkes and Walker.

All in all, he's one of the most talented; exciting, creative and top class players we've ever had, not only during my lifetime and the modern era but of all time. Undoubtedly up there with Wednesday's greatest ever players of all time in my opinion, such as Springett; Fantham, Blenkinsop, Crawshaw, Robinson, Curran, Nilsson, Sheridan and Hirst, etc.

He was already one of my favourite players around in my childhood before we even signed him. At the time we signed him, he was up there with the likes of Roberto Baggio; Dejan Savicevic, Lothar Matthaus, Carlos Valderrama, Gheorghe Hagi, etc as one of the most iconic, classy and exciting players around.

I was over the moon when we signed one of my favourite players and I look back with nothing but fondness of having been lucky enough to have seen genuine world class players like Waddle in a Wednesday shirt and it feels like a lifetime ago and hard to believe, that we actually had the first player of the season of the opening season of the re-branded old top flight. He was absolute pure class in his time at Spurs, Marseilles and us. During his spell in France and his first two seasons with us, I believe we saw Waddle's peak and we were exceptionally lucky to have seen him. I feel sorry for our younger fans that missed out on seeing the likes of Waddle in a Wednesday shirt because we can only look back or watch videos and dream of ever seeing the likes of Waddle in a Wednesday shirt again. 

On 26/03/2020 at 22:44, crookesowl said:

He was like a Premier League Bannan but with Swagger 

Apart from the fact that they’re not like each other in size, stature, style of play, position, mobility, ground covered, effectiveness, nationality, hair, the position they play and the way they contribute to a game, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. 

Don’t get me wrong, I like Bannan but as footballers, Waddle and Bannan are like chalk and cheese. 

Edited by shandypants

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

probably but only if we were picking the team …..when it comes to picking a best prem 11 he never seems to get a mention from the "experts"

That's probably because he only played 2 seasons in the Prem before going back to Sweden (ignore his time at Coventry as he was passed his best by then) and he didn't play for Man Utd or Arsenal. If he was playing now, he'd probably be at Man City. IIRC he was voted into the team of the tournament at the '94 World Cup.