Waddle thinks he disappointed us!!!

The season he won player of the year was the best individual season I've ever seen from an Owls player, immense. His performance against West Ham, he semi final goal (and performance) against pigs and many other great moments, I always remember him in a Sheffield derby at Hillsborough not long after Wembley and United kicked lumps out of him, he got subbed by Francis and as he left the field he gave a thumbs to the Owls fans and 2-1 signal with his fingers to the pigs, pure class

12 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Remember when we signed him I thought, ok we've got a well known player who other teams have been after so that shows we can now compete with the big boys, but I genuinely wasn't that excited, he was over 30 and although i thought he'd been a decent player not that Special.

How wrong was I? Until you've actually seen him for yourself playing for your team on a regular basis you really don't realise how good a player he was.

Plenty of Great memories including that Goal at Wembley, but I doubt I will ever see anything like that Performance against West Ham, everything he did came off, almost The perfect solo performance, granted he had other good players around him to make it look easier, but he was absolutely unplayable.

I don't think you will find many (if any) Wednesday fans who were around at the time who he left Disappointed.

Thanks for the Memories Chris (Aka God).

Fantastic post.

Couldn't agree more.

That game against West Ham is the best individual performance by a footballer I have ever witnessed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Like comparing an Aston Martin and a Lada. :duntmatter:

Yes Lada's were class 😂

Seriously I got dragged along to Tottenham by my dad in the mid to late 80's 

Mr Waddle was and is the best player I have ever seen consistently and it was a like a surreal dream when he came to us. 

Edited by thesouthowl

13 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

We have had a few world class players at Wednesday, Chris Waddle was one, technically excellent, what a player.

Beat me to it, mate!

Use of the phrase "world class Wednesday players", a title that befits two players only - Chris Waddle and Roland Nilsson.

Greatest things about being a Wednesday fan

1) standing on a packed kop

2) seeing Chris Waddle play for us

3) seeing John Sheridan play for us and score for us at the old Wembley

4) seeing David Hirst play for us

5) Apologies for not mentioning many of the other great players I've watched over the years

6) Seeing us win and lift a trophy at the old Wembley 

56 minutes ago, darra said:

Greatest things about being a Wednesday fan

1) standing on a packed kop

2) seeing Chris Waddle play for us

3) seeing John Sheridan play for us and score for us at the old Wembley

4) seeing David Hirst play for us

5) Apologies for not mentioning many of the other great players I've watched over the years

6) Seeing us win and lift a trophy at the old Wembley 

7) Cardiff promotion 

8) Mind the gap season

Thats  it for the past 25 years :-( 

4 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

... incidentally, does anyone remember when Newcastle got beat 4-2 at Hillsborough (wearing that dreadful all grey kit) and their midfield was something like Waddle, Gascoigne, McDermott and Keegan?

We beat them 4-2 twice in a couple of years, but Gazza didn't play in any of them. They had Waddle and Beardsley in both games though, but McDermott and Keegan had moved on at the end of the 83/84 promotion season - when we beat them 4-2 in the top division in 1985 they had Tony Cunningham and George Reilly up front!

• Thanks 1

I must admit I was a bit nonplussed when we signed Waddle. His best days appeared to be behind him, he'd been a bit out of sight out of mind playing in France, and he'd been rather a mixed bag for England.

I was soon turned round when seeing him play week in week out though, what a player he really was even at that age. Best player I've seen play for us bar none. Gave us so many great memories, in fact the only disappointments were that he spent a long spell out injured after the cup finals season, and that penalty against Wolves.

6 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Beat me to it, mate!

Use of the phrase "world class Wednesday players", a title that befits two players only - Chris Waddle and Roland Nilsson.

Absolutely right. We're not alone in building up our players and 'world class' and 'legend' are much overused and abused, but these 2 players were definitely world class. Nilsson was probably the best right back in the world in the early 90's and Waddle was just a genius. For those who've not watched it, dig out the YouTube montage of his time at Marseille (in particular when he destroyed AC Milan 1991, who'd just won the European Cup in successive seasons). He is an absolute god there