The old Leppings Lane stand

My 2 questions (if anyone knows) 

1) What are they doing up in the top corner beside the cantilever stand and Lepping Lane stand - looks like some sort of scaffolding.

2) Has anyone ever sat up in that weird corner?  I have never seen anyone there over the years but I am sure the view is horrendous given the fact that a lot of the seats don't even appear to be able to see the Kop end and it looks like the windows are still there making the view even more difficult.

Would be interested to read peoples comments on this

Finally:  Stay Safe to everyone over there - from everyone over here WAWAW

As a football club why have we never bull dozed the current Leppings lane stand, with all the bad history of it and it could be rebuilt better, more modern and have the required safety aspects incorporated into it.

If will never erase what happened on that day in our past but might help the club to move forward. It is a standalone stand and maybe at the same time we could cover in the triangle so it has some use going forward.

Just an idea but currently it will be forever known for the disaster. I would rename it as well to try and show its a new beginning maybe.

More maybe the long term plan is to move away from Hillsborough but that won't be happening any time soon so why not try to improve and update what we have.

20 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

1) What are they doing up in the top corner beside the cantilever stand and Lepping Lane stand - looks like some sort of scaffolding.

2) Has anyone ever sat up in that weird corner?  I have never seen anyone there over the years but I am sure the view is horrendous given the fact that a lot of the seats don't even appear to be able to see the Kop end and it looks like the windows are still there making the view even more difficult.

ec5f8d1dc5e72d691a8adab86607a7dbd6af1314.jpg

Do you mean here?

Yeah I've been up there, sat up there and the view's great to be honest

Remember the last time it was full was when the Wycombe fans sat there

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

I've sat in it for amongst others, the Derby that didn't matter and the Wycombe match (I'm a turnstile operator there was about 80 of us sat with the Wycombe fans.) Both in 2012.

The view is okay you can see all the pitch from where I sat, not sure about higher up as the fans in the North probably block the view, the windows are no longer there.

I've also stood up there for the 2nd half of the FA Cup match against Arsenal in the 79 marathon saga.

We were initially in the Leppings Lane bottom North Stand side (always stood there back then) my Dad took me for something to eat at half time, as we came back the Coppers requested that we went up into the Triangle  (for my safety i was only 9) as there must have been bother on the Lepp.

I can't remember much about it other than a group charging down from the top of the Triangle and trying to get at the opposing fans.

I didn't really know what was going on and found it quite exciting, still no idea whether it was Owls fans trying to get at Arsenal or vice versa.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

As a football club why have we never bull dozed the current Leppings lane stand, with all the bad history of it and it could be rebuilt better, more modern and have the required safety aspects incorporated into it.

If will never erase what happened on that day in our past but might help the club to move forward. It is a standalone stand and maybe at the same time we could cover in the triangle so it has some use going forward.

Just an idea but currently it will be forever known for the disaster. I would rename it as well to try and show its a new beginning maybe.

More maybe the long term plan is to move away from Hillsborough but that won't be happening any time soon so why not try to improve and update what we have.

My guess is because it costs a lot of money, which we haven’t had (until the current ownership, possibly).

2 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

I was stood in the corner for the Liverpool v Forest semi, the season before the disaster. 

Edited by Nut
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Stood in the old North West covered standing bit the season before it was demolished. Always said they should never have taken away the last covered standing areas. In my opinion in 1964 they could have built a covered standing area similar to what they did at Leeds a couple of years later. If they had done it big enough and extended it as there was plenty of room at the back it could have held 15k fans and we could have made it the home end. Never understood the obsession with Eric Taylor for seats.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

ec5f8d1dc5e72d691a8adab86607a7dbd6af1314.jpg

Do you mean here?

Yeah I've been up there, sat up there and the view's great to be honest

Remember the last time it was full was when the Wycombe fans sat there

4500.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=3d4a356ad211e3fc4fed52e282fac3aa

Way up in the very back row ... of this section...   I think somebody on this thread called it "the triangle"  - It just, to me, looks like it's designed for fans that want to be at the game but don't want to see what's happening (which might be perfect last few games LOL)

Edited by Whitecap Owl
added a photo

3 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Way up in the very back row ... of this section...   I think somebody on this thread called it "the triangle"  - It just, to me, looks like it's designed for fans that want to be at the game but don't want to see what's happening (which might be perfect last few games LOL)

How can anyone sitting by that corrugated wall see anything after first 10 or so rows...???

39 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

How can anyone sitting by that corrugated wall see anything after first 10 or so rows...???

It  was terracing when we occasionally went on there in the late 70s / early 80s. The cladding used to be clear Perspex like the panels above but the view was still terrible if you stood close to the North stand.  It was a decent view if you stood away from the north stand and gave a completely different perspective if you usually watched from the Kop like we did. 

• Thanks 1