Where was your first away game?

8 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

8. Sat  2 Oct  Lincoln City............ 1-1    13     14,706   Rodger Wylde

Thanks to Bradowl for the link to the stats. 2 October 1976 was my first away game. I was nine years old and went with my Dad, Grandad and Uncle. Absolutely unbelievable experience travelling to Lincoln in the car on the A57 along with thousands and thousands of other Wednesdayites. Seem to remember being on a big uncovered side terrace. The game passed me by as I soaked in the atmosphere while coming to terms with my first experience of my closest relatives using industrial language in front of me. 

Slightly before my time going to games, but I’ve got an old program and I’m sure it there’s a photo from that game whereby a Policeman had been hit with a missile from the Wednesday fans.

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

Highfield Road. My first ever game. Cant remember the year but my excitement didn't last long as Dion Dublin scored after about 2 minutes. Lost 2-0 I think. All I can remember was Woods kicked every goal kick out for a throw in

Yeah Ndlovu scored the 2nd. Thought he was a top player back then. I remember being told Woods was a great keeper and never understood how bad he performed each time.

57 minutes ago, torryowl said:

that takes me back mate …..I was on the big kop and they scored early doors with a lob over springett …would have been 11 years old and result apart had a great day out .

Yes, definitely a lob over Springett early in the match. I was stood on a side terrace. Seem to remember we had most of the match after their goal. It was 2 days before my 10th birthday & like you I remember a great day out.  My parents, all my aunts uncles & cousins went for the day, the men & boys went to the match, met back up with everyone after & spent a couple of hours round the amusements before heading back home.

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Coppers put us on their Kop which got the afternoon off to a good start.

How did you manage that? We tried to get on there but ended up on the normal open away end where the trouble kicked off with the police. The only side where thete was no wednesday fans was their kop.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

How did you manage that? We tried to get on there but ended up on the normal open away end where the trouble kicked off with the police. The only side where thete was no wednesday fans was their kop.

About ten minutes before the game started, asked coppers where to go, they pointed to the home end.  There were plenty of Wednesday fans already on, my mate got nicked and was on the front page of the Sun. 

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

About ten minutes before the game started, asked coppers where to go, they pointed to the home end.  There were plenty of Wednesday fans already on, my mate got nicked and was on the front page of the Sun. 

Never knew that, mind you we all had a skinfull. We queued up to get on the home end but were stopped and turned away after somebody pointed out we were wednesday.

1 hour ago, oldowl67 said:

8. Sat  2 Oct  Lincoln City............ 1-1    13     14,706   Rodger Wylde

Thanks to Bradowl for the link to the stats. 2 October 1976 was my first away game. I was nine years old and went with my Dad, Grandad and Uncle. Absolutely unbelievable experience travelling to Lincoln in the car on the A57 along with thousands and thousands of other Wednesdayites. Seem to remember being on a big uncovered side terrace. The game passed me by as I soaked in the atmosphere while coming to terms with my first experience of my closest relatives using industrial language in front of me. 

Great story. It's hard to describe how exciting it was going to games in the 70's and 80's, even at home. There were some great characters and a lot of us who are 50 plus will remember their names and their exploits. Being able to drink on coaches and the threat of violence obviously played a part but there was a pride and camaraderie in following the team in those days and we used to take over towns for the day, the football often being the least important part of the day out. People talk about the best time to watch Wednesday being when we had that great side in the early 90's but in my opinion, the best time to be a supporter was the 70's and 80's even though there were some dark times to go with the great memories. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chesterfield 1975 got the green bus going and lift in a Triumph Herald after the game, plus  free sherbet fountains  when someone put a shop window through  and ransacked boxes of sweets.

First Boxing Day away game , Bury same year railway sleepers and coal cinders for terracing a real eye opener.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Slightly before my time going to games, but I’ve got an old program and I’m sure it there’s a photo from that game whereby a Policeman had been hit with a missile from the Wednesday fans.

I can pick myself out in that photo

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Some of the grounds in the 70's and 80's when i first started going were absolute s**thouses and one of the worst grounds for me was Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium.:bullen:

its a good call but northampton and Halifax could trump the abbey …...

My first away game... was a home game.... 3-1 vs FC Aarhus at Millmoor:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/646264

Main memory is of my Dad driving to the ground, not knowing the route and we decided to follow the car in front because they had one of those little Wednesday kit stickers in the rear windshield. Followed them all the way round a roundabout twice as they were driving round in circles.

• Haha 1