Jump to content
@owlstalk

Birmingham first championship club to ask players to take 50% deduction

Recommended Posts

We've  had Man u and city raise £150,000 between them for charity, yet  players in Europe are donating a million euros  each to fight the virus. 

 

Say's it all really .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I think the rules are if you cant honour the players contract that they are in there rights to leave for free......seen as our lot arnt worth much that may not be a major blow and probably a blessing in one or two cases  but for other clubs it may be a different matter if they lose there star men for nowt …...I don't know about accountants and lawyers but I doubt they have a fixed term contract so are free to leave or be dismissed with just the agreed termination notice .

Hmm....that sounds right tbh.

 

Makes sense I suppose. 

 

But as you say, for some players....its no great loss. With our squad it's quite a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon Jordan said this afternoon , if all the players in the premier and championship gave 1% of their wages a month that would raise around £150 million to keep league one and two clubs going through the pandemic .

 

He also got on his high horse about people going to work in London , the cheeky monkey was in the studio not at home pot kettle black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

 

Why would they?

To try to save the company that pays them handsomely even though they have been paid for doing nothing

 

Similar to a company I worked for, the shop floor during hard times had a vote to take a pay cut rather than bite the hand that fed them 

 

I'm probably old fashioned 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Wednesday players took a pay cut in the current crisis all that would mean is they are saving money for the multi millionaire owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our lot should have at least done the honourable thing and refunded the 1645 poor fans that went down to Brentford to watch us be routed 5-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" We're going to pay you £50k a month for the next 4 months and then you'll get the balance back a bit later, OK?"

 

What a dilemma that is. Not even a choice is it?

 

Why are they "asking"? Just tell them. This is what you're going to get.

There are some great stories out there, like Pep donating 1m euro to a spanish hospital, Neville and giggs

hotel being opened up to the NHS staff and many more BUT these are the tip of a massive iceberg.

 

The wake up call for football is coming. Most of us can see it and it won't be long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Hooper willing to pass on his executive box :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

The implication from that 80% is that the respective employers will cover the other 20% at least in the short term - thus keeping the economy afloat

Don’t think that’s correct. The government are only paying 80% if employees are furrowed (I.e. would have been made redundant otherwise). The Employer doesn’t pay the remaining 20%.

if the employee is still working, then the company pays the full wage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think football should really bite the bullet and break the wage stranglehold

 

There isnt any work for them to do. Theres no income. They should be laid off unpaid except for the government scheme.

 

If all clubs did this they could pick up the pieces when it all starts back up. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it really a wage cut, if they're getting it back when football season resumes?

 

It's a non story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not seen a single article about footballers using the vast wealth to help though less fortunate.

 

I think a lot of people are starting to see these so called heroes and gods for what they are over paid pre Madonna's - the clubs and the players are the top clubs could be helping and doing so much for what to them is so little.

 

The estimate players salaries for EPL clubs this season is £1.8billion if these payers gave up 10% of their inflated wages that would be £180m to use to help people in and around their communities that need it the most. Most of these people have probably over the years help to pay their salaries by buying tickets, merchandise and paying sky subscriptions. It is time they gave some back.

 

But I won't hold my breathe as it won't happen. 

 

https://www.sportekz.com/football/premier-league-clubs-wage-bills/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I have not seen a single article about footballers using the vast wealth to help though less fortunate.

 

I think a lot of people are starting to see these so called heroes and gods for what they are over paid pre Madonna's - the clubs and the players are the top clubs could be helping and doing so much for what to them is so little.

 

The estimate players salaries for EPL clubs this season is £1.8billion if these payers gave up 10% of their inflated wages that would be £180m to use to help people in and around their communities that need it the most. Most of these people have probably over the years help to pay their salaries by buying tickets, merchandise and paying sky subscriptions. It is time they gave some back.

 

But I won't hold my breathe as it won't happen. 

 

https://www.sportekz.com/football/premier-league-clubs-wage-bills/

So Wilfried Zaha giving the use of his property portfolio to the NHS is not helping? Ok then

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

So Wilfried Zaha giving the use of his property portfolio to the NHS is not helping? Ok then

No but giving up 10% of his salary might help the people in his area be able to put food on the table to feed their families

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

So Wilfried Zaha giving the use of his property portfolio to the NHS is not helping? Ok then

Just summed up why football is in such a state right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sMacLean said:

Just summed up why football is in such a state right there.

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

So Wilfried Zaha giving the use of his property portfolio to the NHS is not helping? Ok then

 

13 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Just summed up why football is in such a state right there.

 

11 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Why?

 

Like the rest of the WBankers, property which is used as a second home's, and left empty most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw an article the other day suggesting a few Championship clubs were pushing for the transfer window to open early to ease cash flow. Said at the time that I’d suspect Birmingham are one.

 

They'll be a few clubs in this league itching to move out talent to ease their current financial pressures. Which, if I’m honest, doesn’t seem like a clever way of relieving the issue.
 

If a club the size of Birmingham can’t operate for a few months without implementing a wage cut, or push to sell players, you’ve gotta ask whether all the FFP sanctions they’ve had were actually worth the paper wasted to issue them. It’s clear they’re running an operation that is completely unsustainable, even in the short term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Saw an article the other day suggesting a few Championship clubs were pushing for the transfer window to open early to ease cash flow. Said at the time that I’d suspect Birmingham are one.

 

They'll be a few clubs in this league itching to move out talent to ease their current financial pressures. Which, if I’m honest, doesn’t seem like a clever way of relieving the issue.
 

If a club the size of Birmingham can’t operate for a few months without implementing a wage cut, or push to sell players, you’ve gotta ask whether all the FFP sanctions they’ve had were actually worth the paper wasted to issue them. It’s clear they’re running an operation that is completely unsustainable, even in the short term. 

Leeds are  in line to ask players to defer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 16:35, Grez Bez said:

 

Why would they?

Cos it’s the right thing to do for those who earn that kind of salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...