Dodgiest game you've been to.

6 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

I could have written this. 

My top two as well. 

If the Wednesday fans hadn’t taunted the West Ham fans so much on the way to the ground, at the ground, and on the way back to the station I reckon it would have been total carnage. 

The bravado put just enough doubt in their mind for them to wait until the last few of our lot were queuing at the tube stop. 

Never been more happy to lose a game. 

This

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

When Keegan took over, Newcastle were close to the bottom of the Second Division and getting around 14,000 to each home match.

However, I particularly remember this midweek match as I was working in Scotland at the time and Newcastle was only a few inches away from Glasgow on the map.

Tow hours later, I arrived in Newcastle but St James Park is one of those grounds you can see from miles round but it takes ages to get there so I arrived just after the kick off.

Fans were locked in pens in those days and, as I was late, I was stood at the edge of the pen near the door with a load of police lined up on the other side of the fence. The Wednesday supporter next to me was about seven foot tall and must have been 25 stone. He was offering out anybody in black and white and even threatening the police directly next to us.

Suddenly, the police rushed the gate and a snatch squad jumped into our pen. I thought "great, this'll shut him up" but the cops steered well clear on Giant Haystacks on my right and burrowed deep into the Wednesday fans where they grabbed a bewildered young lad who, frankly, wasn't doing anything despite his slight frame, fresh-faced looks and non-threatening demeanour. They tied his arms and legs into knots and dragged him out where it appeared they continued beating him purely because he wouldn't retaliate.

After the melee, I asked the cop through the fence next to me "Why didn't you get this fouled mouthed chump next to me?"

"Have you seen the size of him?" said the copper. And, for once, and to a degree, I could sympathise with the police on their judgement.

As for the match, I think Micky Quinn scored the Newcastle winner (1-0) after a Wednesday defensive mix up? The announcer did wish us well for the Cup Final the following weekend, though.

Ossie Ardilies was still manager and the pens had gone for that game.

https://youtu.be/Wz6RwLPd6JQ

6 hours ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I cant remember the years but Liverpool away when they were slashing our fans with stanley knives, & in a pub in Port Vale it started raing glassess and bottles had to brek the window and jump through it

We were driving get past said Pub just as the window came through and loads came out out through it. We'd just said We'll park up and go in there. Quick change of Plan! Was 91 if we won we'd have gone up, took about 6 Thousand that day.

Worst for me was the Man Utd one and I remember at Ayresome Park in the 80s which was pretty dodgy.

Missed most of the 80s (away) apart from about 10 Games, and all the 70s though.

Also remember Everton throwing bricks into the away end after the match at Goodison in the 1st Replay during the Cup Saga, then going to the chippy (a quiet one off a side road) my mate insists a scouser was threatening to cut our throats I didn't see it, but stayed very close to my old Man until we got back to the car.

Football was different then, don't think anyone on here is trying to gloryfie the 80s just how it was. Yes looking back was fun but as a 15 heat of in 83, it was bloody scary at some of the grounds mentioned. Just couldn't avoid things either give it or you took it. It was a great buzz though and Just another part of growing up. Personally worst was night game at Liverpool milk cup and west ham away, cup game in the midweek 80's.

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Ossie Ardilies was still manager and the pens had gone for that game.

https://youtu.be/Wz6RwLPd6JQ

Hmmm.... 17th April 1991 (Brock is listed as scorer on some sites but I thought it was Quinn) a few days before Wembley... Must have been railings at the side of the terracing then.

I can't remember who the manager was but I mentioned Keegan's time there because Newcastle were on their uppers at the bottom of the league when he joined.

47 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Hmmm.... 17th April 1991 (Brock is listed as scorer on some sites but I thought it was Quinn) a few days before Wembley... Must have been railings at the side of the terracing then.

I can't remember who the manager was but I mentioned Keegan's time there because Newcastle were on their uppers at the bottom of the league when he joined.

Yes. Brock officially scored, I was there that night it was a free kick or cross from outside the box, it hit the inside of the far post (left hand post from the away end) bounced back hit Turner on the head or back and went in. 

Also remember the previous away match at Portsmouth, (when Palmer got sent off)  got back to Hillsborough that night to see thousands of people queuing around the ground, as tickets were going on sale to non season ticket holders for the League Cup Final the next morning.

Non of the current points system then, it was a 1st come 1st served basis, there were literally thousands queuing right around the ground and if I remember correctly they were camping out as tickets didn't go on sale until the next day.

• Thanks 1

Guest The Claw
7 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Not sure where he was from or what has happened to him since.

Not seen him since one Wild West type brawl in a pub at Barnsley in the late 80s

Still sits on Kop 

Worst one I can remember was Newcastle away, must have been 1993 ish.

Was in City centre, we were just minding our own business, and then literally thousands of geordies came racing round the corner.  Chased us all through the city centre, across that massive bridge and more and more were coming after us,  The scariest thing was all these other geordies were cheering and clapping these nutters along from the side of the road.  Buggers ran us all the way to South Shields, where bizarrely Brendan Foster cheered us over a finish line thing and Steve Cram gave us a medal.

• Haha 5

First match I went to was at home to Chelsea , 83 I think , finished nil nil . Was on the north and after the match started a rain of coins and loads of other stuff came raining down on us . A load of Chelsea at the back so a load of coppers just ran up and dragged them down the steps while getting . . . .  err . . . . pats on the back on their way past all the rows and thrown into the away end . I just remember thinking this is insanity , now when's the next match :ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

Last match of the season  83/84 season at Ninian Park.over 9,000+ Supporters in the away end ready to celebrate our long awaited return to the top flight after 15 years.The Cardiff fans really give us some stick and it very nearly turned ugly with some of them charging towards the bottom end of the home terrace.Things nearly got out of hand also after the match as well as scores of our supporters climbed over the fence and onto the pitch.:tango::ph34r:

Edited by parkfieldowl14

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Last match of the season  83/84 season at Ninian Park.over 9,000+ Supporters in the away end ready to celebrate our long awaited return to the top flight after 15 years.The Cardiff fans really give us some stick and it very nearly turned ugly with some of them charging towards the bottom end of the home terrace.Things nearly got out of hand also after the match as well as scores of our supporters climbed over the fence and onto the pitch.:tango::ph34r:

Scruffs were chucking darts at us that day.

Man Utd "dambusters" was chaos, think we played them a week or so later a mid week match......no bother.

1991 Chelsea semi coach got Windows put through