Dodgiest game you've been to.

16 minutes ago, Lombado said:

No-one has mentioned Oldham away yet...must admit considering the publicity it was pretty tame compared to others. We just stood on the crumbling terrace watching all what was going on around us as we were just school age lads. My mum was more concerened when I got home and literally couldn't say that I had witnessed much worse at other games...

Remember it very well.My first away game with my uncle,TC Sent off and certain sections of our supporters just went absolutely ballistic.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

1 hour ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I cant remember the years but Liverpool away when they were slashing our fans with stanley knives, & in a pub in Port Vale it started raing glassess and bottles had to brek the window and jump through it

Yep - I was in that boozer at Port Vale too - mental

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Also West Ham away in the 80,s , may have been the same day but deffo a different pub.

They were waiting for us as we left the pub about 30 of them , about 10 of us....................thankfully i was in my early 20,s and like $hit off a shovel   :biggrin:.....they couldnt catch me.

The fighting was everywhere, out of the 10 of us in the minivan i think only 3 or 4 actually got in to see the game.

Grimsby on boxing day mid 80,s also put the wind up me, but for a different reason.............it was a horrendous crush before the wooden gates were opened.

It was also very cold. 

24 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Pompey away the game before the final in 91 was entertaining to say the least and the 0-0 at the Lane was a throwback to the 80s/90s with my esteemed @casbahowl by my side

Newcastle away was the game before the final.... I'll always remember it because there was only about 15000 there and Wednesday took a couple of thousand. Had a reyt session that day. 

• Like 1

Just now, Drewswfc said:

Newcastle away was the game before the final.... I'll always remember it because there was only about 15000 there and Wednesday took a couple of thousand. Had a reyt session that day. 

It was the midweek as it was fecking freezing and Steve Watson scored with a cross! The Pompey game was the Saturday before when Carlton Palmer got sent off

41 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

In what way?

The thread is about a time when going to a game was dangerous,you were'nt about then,I dont think any of the posters are making things up.

I've been to some Belfast's 'Big Two' games years ago,absolutely mental scenes that just don't happen these days(thankfully)Lighten up a bit.

2 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

The thread is about a time when going to a game was dangerous,you were'nt about then,I dont think any of the posters are making things up.

I've been to some Belfast's 'Big Two' games years ago,absolutely mental scenes that just don't happen these days(thankfully)Lighten up a bit.

Ive been to a few of those as well as a kid.

But the smug intention to glorify violence by the OP triggerred my post.

2 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

The Liverpool game in 1984 was where several Wednesday fans were slashed, it was after the league game the season after the League cup game, we beat them at Anfield that afternoon. I remember being in the crush at Grimsby on Boxing Day 1983 and always remember the kid in the programme seller kiosk's face when it almost toppled over, after the gates burst open, the gates burst open too at Oakwell in a crush outside the turnstiles before the night game in 1981, also at Millmoor one night match I remember a kid was stood upright next to me 'passed out' in the crush on that away end, then Leicester city away at Filbert Street 1981 my feet never touched the floor coming out, I nearly got split in half in a very delicate area as there was a barrier partitioning the exit stairwell, Chester City away 1979 someone set fire to some rubbish under the wooden terracing and the fire brigade turned up .... lot's of close calls back then considering incidents that happened a few years later.

We started that  on the home end   my dad took me  i went for a wee wee  and when I  got  back the away end was empty they ran across the pitch to get on the home end

• Haha 1

Remember 1980 very well. 3 consecutive away games at Newcastle, West Ham and Chelsea. Kicked off at all of them, even if you wern't looking for it.

Thought after the last of the 3 , at least thats the worst we will get all season, only to draw Newcastle away in the cup.

Newcastle probably the worst as we were kept behind for 20 minutes, so any one walking in a group of 3 or 4 were obviously Wednesday fans are were horribly outnumbered. Left a man behind (ed sabucki?). Hid in a back yard for a few hours while they hunted for him.

Daft as it sounds, some of the worst we had was at Cambridge on a couple of occasions. Mini bus got smashed up after a Shipp Cup match

1 minute ago, sheffieldblue said:

Remember 1980 very well. 3 consecutive away games at Newcastle, West Ham and Chelsea. Kicked off at all of them, even if you wern't looking for it.

Thought after the last of the 3 , at least thats the worst we will get all season, only to draw Newcastle away in the cup.

Newcastle probably the worst as we were kept behind for 20 minutes, so any one walking in a group of 3 or 4 were obviously Wednesday fans are were horribly outnumbered. Left a man behind (ed sabucki?). Hid in a back yard for a few hours while they hunted for him.

Daft as it sounds, some of the worst we had was at Cambridge on a couple of occasions. Mini bus got smashed up after a Shipp Cup match

Wasn't Chelsea at home?