Dodgiest game you've been to.

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

As there is no football to talk about and to wind 'Geoffrey' up. Whilst keeping his more owlstalk readers going.

Which match put the wind up you most?

Mine was probably West Ham away in the early '80s outside the Boleyn pub. Total carnage! with those pesky Eastenders coming from all angles.

Followed by the Man Ure away 'Dambusters' game.

Same 2 for me Lanza as I was with you for both of them. The crush outside Grimsby on boxing day was bad as Sheri says. My first away game was at Chesterfield around 1977 and that was scary as a young lad. Loads of nutters got taken off their kop and put where we were standing. They were then battling the coppers off and on for most of the match. 

5 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Ahhh a thread for hard lads to talk about when they were really tough at games.

Most of them probably never threw a punch.

Cringefest

I'd say its the opposite of that. 

14 minutes ago, Nut said:

Same 2 for me Lanza as I was with you for both of them. The crush outside Grimsby on boxing day was bad as Sheri says. My first away game was at Chesterfield around 1977 and that was scary as a young lad. Loads of nutters got taken off their kop and put where we were standing. They were then battling the coppers off and on for most of the match. 

Must admit mate I was unaware of owt wrong when we left Old Trafford. If you hadn't told me to get me 'ead down It would have been a lot worse.

I love these threads about the old days. Makes me smile cus the old uns talk about the violence and the young uns talk about crap refs.

so many for me. Bradford was a shocker, remember being in the queue to get in and Bradford fans wading in with golf clubs. Chelsea was always horrid. Millwall was well millwall. 

Crushes at grimsby, mill Moor, Oxford, can’t recall how many times I left grounds without my feet touching the floor. 

Its like the yorkshiremen sketch from monty python. You tell the young ups of today and they won’t believe you 

5 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I love these threads about the old days. Makes me smile cus the old uns talk about the violence and the young uns talk about crap refs.

so many for me. Bradford was a shocker, remember being in the queue to get in and Bradford fans wading in with golf clubs. Chelsea was always horrid. Millwall was well millwall. 

Crushes at grimsby, mill Moor, Oxford, can’t recall how many times I left grounds without my feet touching the floor. 

Its like the yorkshiremen sketch from monty python. You tell the young ups of today and they won’t believe you 

Remember a crush at Oxford in the promotion season 79/80. Finally paid to get in to find the gates had been kicked in and everyone had got in free. There were some gardens/allotments on the left hand side of the away end and at one point, a ladder appeared against the wall and a few more clambered up it to get in for free. We took a few thousand that day but i doubt Oxford made much in gate receipts. 

Was at most of the games mentioned and also arrived at Gillimgham the match after BDM to hear it was called off, but we just drive home. A group of fellow Wednesdayites go abroad each year to watch a match etc. 3 years ago we were in Berlin watching Dynamo Berlin. It’s a regional team with a fanatical fan base and the fact that all 8 of us weren’t straight out of prison with tattoos on our face (no offence to those that do) certainly meant we stuck out like a sore thumb. We were ignored, but the atmosphere was unusual and the bomb that went off within 50 metres of us after the game certainly kept us on our toes

2 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I cant remember the years but Liverpool away when they were slashing our fans with stanley knives, & in a pub in Port Vale it started raing glassess and bottles had to brek the window and jump through it

The Liverpool match was a cup tie.

the famous "We'll be back, We'll be back" match on our promotion season.

19 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I cant remember the years but Liverpool away when they were slashing our fans with stanley knives, & in a pub in Port Vale it started raing glassess and bottles had to brek the window and jump through it

Yeah, forgot about Liverpool in the '80s.

Lad on our coach got 70 stitches down his back and he was wearing a Donkey jacket!

Horrible scroats.

Went to Coventry in the FA Cup with the OCS lads two coaches, we found two boozers on top of a hill across the road from each other.  Had a few drinks then their lads turned up but as we were  on the top of the hill we had the advantage and ran them ragged.   

Some serious stuff going off before the coppers turned up, it was kicking off all over the ground as well during the game and afterwards. 

A few on the coach got nicked and I managed to get a policewoman's hat badge which had fallen off in the carnage. Still got it.

You just couldn't imagine anything like that happening nowadays.   

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

As there is no football to talk about and to wind 'Geoffrey' up. Whilst keeping his more owlstalk readers going.

Which match put the wind up you most?

Mine was probably West Ham away in the early '80s outside the Boleyn pub. Total carnage! with those pesky Eastenders coming from all angles.

Followed by the Man Ure away 'Dambusters' game.

Without doubt the scariest atmosphere I’ve witnessed at a football match 

The Liverpool game in 1984 was where several Wednesday fans were slashed, it was after the league game the season after the League cup game, we beat them at Anfield that afternoon. I remember being in the crush at Grimsby on Boxing Day 1983 and always remember the kid in the programme seller kiosk's face when it almost toppled over, after the gates burst open, the gates burst open too at Oakwell in a crush outside the turnstiles before the night game in 1981, also at Millmoor one night match I remember a kid was stood upright next to me 'passed out' in the crush on that away end, then Leicester city away at Filbert Street 1981 my feet never touched the floor coming out, I nearly got split in half in a very delicate area as there was a barrier partitioning the exit stairwell, Chester City away 1979 someone set fire to some rubbish under the wooden terracing and the fire brigade turned up .... lot's of close calls back then considering incidents that happened a few years later.

All the stories from matches in the 70s / 80s sound nuts! 

Funny how the game has changed sat in the home end at Chelsea the other year for the cup game and i was surrounded by tourists and people with "can i have your shirt" banners. All a bit odd. 

No-one has mentioned Oldham away yet...must admit considering the publicity it was pretty tame compared to others. We just stood on the crumbling terrace watching all what was going on around us as we were just school age lads. My mum was more concerened when I got home and literally couldn't say that I had witnessed much worse at other games...

Barnsley away as Palmer headed in to equalise. I was about 14 at the time and crapped myself. As someone already said, feet not touching the floor and nearly getting crushed is an experience i'd like to forget. 

Football wise, Wednesday v Swarbrick the other season.

Edited by Guest