For me, this proves football is ruined

13 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Thankfully,the Government as more or less curtailed all sporting and social events for the foreseeable future.Personally,cross fingers that this emergency if and when we come through it, that SKY TV will ultmately collapse due to people changing their priorities when it comes to spending their income.:tango:

So lets say that happens and then what happens to the ten thousand or so that sky employ? I might not agree with lots of things in this world but wishing people lose their income and job is not the way I want to see change occur

• Like 1

5 hours ago, torres said:

The brain of Britain is back in action 

Yes it would be great to see 1000's of people put out of a job, just as the economy is struggling.

Well done sir 

I don’t see how they would be out of a job ? Football is rubbish now , without the mega bucks it could be so much better . Wednesday could be a far more enjoyable past time 

4 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I don’t see how they would be out of a job ? Football is rubbish now , without the mega bucks it could be so much better . Wednesday could be a far more enjoyable past time 

Sky goes bust and you don't see how people will be out of a job???

Plus football being rubbish now is hugely debatable 

Clubs are greedier i'll grant you, but the actual football is light years ahead of what is was 

Edited by torres
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, shandypants said:

Some other media organisation (like Amazon) will just step in and take over the tv rights. The Premier League as a product doesn’t need SKY anymore IMHO. 

I agree and Amazon could swallow Sky up in a heartbeat and the amount of money that would come into the PL would pail the current deal into loose change. Don't forget that Amazon are the biggest provider of Cloud services in the world and they are closely followed by Azure (Microsoft) who have yet to throw their hats into the ring.

7 minutes ago, torres said:

Sky goes bust and you don't see how people will be out of a job???

Plus football being rubbish now is hugely debatable 

Clubs are greedier i'll grant you, but the actual football is light years ahead of what is was 

I’d rather watch 11 grafters fight tooth and nail costing 250 quid a year for the privilege than the dross we watch now from blokes on 20k with the overall dream of finishing 17th in the premier league 

There is no problem with the amount of money coming into the game, its where it goes that's the problem

if it was distributed more fairly across the whole football set up in this country it could do a lot of good

The FA should never have agreed to split the PL away from the rest, they couldn't have set up another league with permission of the FA, so maybe its now up to them to take back control of football in England & Wales

I wont hold my breath though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

Where we are now just reminds us the people in society who provide real value; doctors, nurses, carers, those who produce and delivery food etc. Suddenly £100k per week footballers have little economic value.

I hope we look at this a bit more as a society when the crisis is over.

I agree with your sentiment but it ain't the footballers fault they are paid what they are. They have just cottoned onto the fact that the clubs were making a killing off TV money and not paying them anywhere near what they feel is acceptable. I agree that most are overpaid but the clubs also have a lot to answer far along with the PL and FA

28 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

So lets say that happens and then what happens to the ten thousand or so that sky employ? I might not agree with lots of things in this world but wishing people lose their income and job is not the way I want to see change occur

For me Sky has changed football for the worst in my view,and given the current emergency,and  i do understand what you're saying here.My indifference to SKY is when Rupert Murdoch had a large shareholding in the company till recently.:tango:

4 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I’d rather watch 11 grafters fight tooth and nail costing 250 quid a year for the privilege than the dross we watch now from blokes on 20k with the overall dream of finishing 17th in the premier league 

You still haven't answered the question with regards people losing their livelihood if Sky goes bust

Just now, parkfieldowl14 said:

For me Sky has changed football for the worst in my view,and given the current emergency,and  i do understand what you're saying here.My indifference to SKY is when Rupert Murdoch had a large shareholding in the company till recently.:tango:

You could say that with lots of businesses - however the product that they (Sky) provide has been first rate hence the long relationship with the PL

Just now, james o connor said:

Sorry i didn't realise you were so narrow minded 

So by saying football is rubbish you actually mean ''wednesday are rubbish''

So you are happy for Sky to go bust and 1000's of people to lose their jobs because we have bought some right dross??

Seems reasonable 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

For the worse in what way??

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

You could say that with lots of businesses - however the product that they (Sky) provide has been first rate hence the long relationship with the PL

That's true.But the way things are going and the Global Economy goes into depression then that's not going to matter one bit tbh.

1 minute ago, torres said:

The way football has gone from a game that was accessable on TV to everyone ie ITV/BBC,then from 1992 onwards,all televised matches moved to SKY.So basically in my that football started to detach itself from the ordinary football supporters like myself. so in my view,you might not agree on what i've just said but you can understand my view.

8 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The global economy won't be allowed to fail as a 'great depression' will be worse than this virus

Let's pray that is not going to be the case.One good thing that will come out of this is people will start to think about others that are less fortunate and we've already seen that already.

:tango:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

The way football has gone from a game that was accessable on TV to everyone ie ITV/BBC,then from 1992 onwards,all televised matches moved to SKY.So basically in my that football started to detach itself from the ordinary football supporters like myself. so in my view,you might not agree on what i've just said but you can understand my view.

Pre Sky  - 1 game a week (if we were lucky) on TV - with lets be honest terrible production 

Our home semi final against Chelsea got about 15 minutes at night 

Grounds were falling apart, facilities that were there were shoddy at best  - it was raw, which had value of course but it was crumbling.

Sky gave the game millions and millions - facilities improved, players improved the game has never been shown as much (maybe too much) 

The ONE thing that ruins football in the modern day is the clubs  - in this country our clubs exploit the loyalty of their fans to the nth degree  - ours are one of the worst 

Sky give the money our clubs bend over and receive  - they don't give a second thought to us 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, torres said:

Pre Sky  - 1 game a week (if we were lucky) on TV - with lets be honest terrible production 

Our home semi final against Chelsea got about 15 minutes at night 

Grounds were falling apart, facilities that were there were shoddy at best  - it was raw, which had value of course but it was crumbling.

Sky gave the game millions and millions - facilities improved, players improved the game has never been shown as much (maybe too much) 

The ONE thing that ruins football in the modern day is the clubs  - in this country our clubs exploit the loyalty of their fans to the nth degree  - ours are one of the worst 

Sky give the money our clubs bend over and receive  - they don't give a second thought to us 

I don't doubt whatsoever that the money that Sky has put into football and the subsequent mprovements to the grounds has brought great improvements,but the question is, For how much longer can all of this carry on especially that Players and their agents are now getting a bigger slice of the TV Money?

Edited by parkfieldowl14

26 minutes ago, torres said:

Football no longer is a working mans game, you get to pay £40 to watch it in a stadium or need a sky subscription to see it in your home.

Its starting to go on streaming services so will once again cost to watch.

Fans spend thousands each season so players can be paid more and more each season for doing less and less.

We have clubs and players moaning about having to play twice a week when fans work 50 hour weeks for a yearly wage of what a footballer makes in a week.

Sky was originally a good idea for football but now it is killing football, eventually we will have just 2 league a premiership 1 and 2 and teams will not get promoted or relegated sky will decide if clubs are worth of a place at the elite table, base not on achievement but viewing figures, you only have to see the amount of times Leeds are on sky, 20 odd times every season when other feature 5 or 6 this means they get a bigger share of tv monies than the other teams. They are already picking which teams they want in the top division and as the greed of the EPL sets in, this will only get worse.

Football need fresh blood, the FA needs a clear out and the EFL needs to get rid of anyone with connection to the EPL.The EFL has become a feeder club system to EPL teams and the competition is worse for it. Due to the rules than aid clubs with bigger turnovers to compete better, it has lead to club risking their existence to get to the EPL table, this is caused by the EFL turning a blind eye to relegated EPL teams that have extra income. Parachute payments are the problem we know, most of football knows it, but instead nothing happens and more and more clubs live week to week, then when something like Corona happens clubs will simple go bust because they have no reserves.

Thousands connected with the clubs and supporting companies will lose their jobs, but don't worry players in the premier league will still have their £100k+ salaries each week, foreign holidays, big cars and flash lifestyles while those in the lower leagues struggle to put football on the table or keep a roof over their families head.