Who remembers these lads?

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Love the taches and hair cuts!!
Glynn Snodin from Doncaster and Carl Shutt brought from Spalding for £5k
Shutt was a bit of a story at the time like Vardy that he had come from non league and was a success in the top division.

Shame he wasn’t as good as Vardy

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

Shame he wasn’t as good as Vardy

Still a decent player for us though.  Was knocking them in for fun in the reserves before he got his chance in the first team.  Scored in the semi v Everton at Villa Park

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

48 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Carl Shutt was banging them in for us IN THE TOP DIVISION................he was better than any striker we currently have.

I liked shutty and could never understand why he fell out of favour.......he seemed to lose out to hirsty but i'm sure they could have formed a partnership given the chance …..though I do bow down that wilko knows better than me .

49 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Carl Shutt was banging them in for us IN THE TOP DIVISION................he was better than any striker we currently have.

Yes, well for sure. You'd expect that everyone in the 1986 Wednesday set up to be better than current equivalents. 

I liked Shutt, but let's not forget that the team that came 5th in 85-86 and were FA Cup semi-finalists when the Cup mean something fell away very quickly. Shutt was a decent honest player but not top class. Emblematic of a period where we didn't build on a strong base.

37 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Always liked Shutty, great to see local boys coming through and he was one of 3 from Waltheof school (together with Sterland & Williamson).  All 3 played Sunday League together for Three Feathers as well, along with Brian Cox.

Hiya Steve

I played against that Waltheof / 3 Feathers side many times as i am the same age as these lads and remember Sterland and Williamson well but cant remember Carl Shutt or Brian Cox.

Did Shutty play up font with Mel for 3 Feathers ?...................i seem to remember Waltheof had a lad called Trevor Jones upfront who played for Sheffield boys or have i got the wrong school ?

Hello Sheri,

You’re right, Shutty did play up front with Mel, whilst Brian Cox was goalkeeper who played a few games for Wednesday in late 70s / early 80s.  I think Brian was in school year above - he might have gone to City school, but not sure on that.

Trevor was one of best players I ever played with, and as you say, was another member of that very good Waltheof team.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I liked shutty and could never understand why he fell out of favour.......he seemed to lose out to hirsty but i'm sure they could have formed a partnership given the chance …..though I do bow down that wilko knows better than me .

He was never the same when Wilko took him off when he was on a hattrick  - however he did well up the road

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

Yes, well for sure. You'd expect that everyone in the 1986 Wednesday set up to be better than current equivalents. 

I liked Shutt, but let's not forget that the team that came 5th in 85-86 and were FA Cup semi-finalists when the Cup mean something fell away very quickly. Shutt was a decent honest player but not top class. Emblematic of a period where we didn't build on a strong base.

The reason we didn't build on the strong base was the Bert McGee the Chairman at the time would not invest in the playing side - this step change came when Big Ron was appointed

46 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Hello Sheri,

You’re right, Shutty did play up front with Mel, whilst Brian Cox was goalkeeper who played a few games for Wednesday in late 70s / early 80s.  I think Brian was in school year above - he might have gone to City school, but not sure on that.

Trevor was one of best players I ever played with, and as you say, was another member of that very good Waltheof team.

Nice one Steve..........i can now say i have officially scored against two ex Wednesday keepers ( i realise that this makes me far from unique :biggrin:)  as i must have netted against B.Cox if he was 3 Feathers keeper, and i also scored against Peter Springett when i played against John Quinn`s All Stars once.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Nice one Steve..........i can now say i have officially scored against two ex Wednesday keepers ( i realise that this makes me far from unique :biggrin:)  as i must have netted against B.Cox if he was 3 Feathers keeper, and i also scored against Peter Springett when i played against John Quinn`s All Stars once.

It might not be a unique achievement overall, but don’t suppose anyone else on Owlstalk could match that! 😀

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Striggy said:

Still a decent player for us though.  Was knocking them in for fun in the reserves before he got his chance in the first team.  Scored in the semi v Everton at Villa Park

I genuinely was worried that we would equalise, people could easily have died that day. Packed in so tightly I couldn't even get my hands up from my side and the Mars bar in my pocket melted to liquid. When Shutty scored the surge forward took me off my feet but I was so wedged in I couldn't celebrate.

• Thanks 1