John Sheridan

Fantastic player, didn't realise how lucky I was at the time, being brought up on the late 80's teams, then on to the Sheridan cohort of the early 90's. 

Proper footballer, remember when he came back with Oldham? towards the end of his career, hardly set foot outside the centre circle, but absolutely ran the game. 

36 minutes ago, torryowl said:

mccalliog was a bit more mobile than those 2 and played further forward though not as a conventional  striker but he was a very good creative player like the other 2  ….I think craig was the best but then I would as he's my all time favourite player .

Just realised , I did see McCalliog play at the back end of his career with Southampton.

21 hours ago, Albertowl said:

Turner/Pressman rolls the ball out to Roland or Kingy (Roland more often than not)

Roland/Kingy carry the ball forward and then find Shezza standing around the centre circle

Shezza, still somewhere around the centre circle either plays in a rampaging Palmer, or finds any of the front 4 in an advanced position

Defence to attack in 3 simple moves . Simple, but brilliantly effective and only possible, because he was a player capable of finding space even in the middle of the park, or receiving the ball under pressure if he needed to and always finding his man with a forward pass

Everything Bannan is capable of and should be.....

We also used to see Palmer win or collect the ball around our penalty area, give the ball to Sheridan who’d lay it off to a player close by to get it back - an intentionally  simple one-two that would allows us to hold onto the ball for a few seconds so that Palmer could run past Sheridan and get up the pitch and attack the channels. Sheridan would then play the killer pass forward to the attacking players which at this point included Palmer, the outside left/right (or the wingers) and the forwards. The opposition would be in all sorts of panic because Sheridan and Palmer had overloaded their defence in about 7 or 8 seconds with about five passes. Genius!