John Sheridan

8 hours ago, steelerian said:

Great player. Probably never quite got the recognition that his talents deserved, outside of S6.

A bit like Barry Bannan, only 100x better.

Far better player than Bannan. For a start he knew how to pick a simple pass. Would play the ball around from kick off giving all team mates an early touch and build their confidence. Could play the killer pass and would screen the back four and leave Carlton to bomb forward. Made a great team tick.

Remember him at Leeds and was disappointed when he went to Forest, thankfully Cloughies eccentricities forced him out without playing a game, Big Ron picked him up for us and his first game was a 0-1 win (ironically) at Forest, fantastic midfielder, combative, great passer, chief penalty taker and scorer of some classic goals (the free kick at Luton and of course "dink") in my top 3 Owls players of all time.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

So not like Barry Bannon at all then.

No he’s like Barry Bannan. Not Bannon.

14 hours ago, Nut said:

Think he missed a penalty and that's why he got booed. Not sure who we were playing but Oxford rings a bell. 

He missed a penalty earlier in the game then did a sloppy pass in the last minute to allow Oxford to score and clinch the game.
Think a few peoples frustration got the better of them. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He missed a penalty earlier in the game then did a sloppy pass in the last minute to allow Oxford to score and clinch the game.

Thanks Matt. I seem to remember the booing being when he came to take a corner at the kop end so there must have been a bit of time left after the mistake. 

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Frustrations got the better of them?

It was the ONLY home game we lost all season.

Our expectations back then were alot higher than now, but many fans patience was much less.

I seem to remember he did have a poor game  (especially by his high standards) and if I remember correctly got slaughtered for "Neshing"  a tackle or 2.

The match was very frustrating as we all expected a comfortable win, but to boo him was well out of order.

Seem to remember against Blackburn he scored a couple, one a penalty? 

The other was a screamer fired into to the top corner from 25 Yards, it was after this one he and the rest of the team gave the Kop some back.

Him and Palmer didn't half complement each others game, best Midfield I've seen us have and am ever likely to see us have.

Misty eyes.

Edited by OWL1969

Turner/Pressman rolls the ball out to Roland or Kingy (Roland more often than not)

Roland/Kingy carry the ball forward and then find Shezza standing around the centre circle

Shezza, still somewhere around the centre circle either plays in a rampaging Palmer, or finds any of the front 4 in an advanced position

Defence to attack in 3 simple moves . Simple, but brilliantly effective and only possible, because he was a player capable of finding space even in the middle of the park, or receiving the ball under pressure if he needed to and always finding his man with a forward pass

Everything Bannan is capable of and should be.....

Remember seeing him at Sheffield Arena when masters football first started. Think there was a Liverpool team there with some big names playing.

When all the legs had gone and it was down to brains and ability, he was the best player there by a mile

The goal he scored where he was only about 6 Yards out but he skilfully jinked around 2 defenders leaving them on there arses being cooly slotting the ball home is still one of my favourites. (Plymouth at home? Think we won 3 nil) 

Not quite as memorable as his Goals against that lot from from the other side of the City in the Zenith Data, or the one against Man Utd at Wembley but the way he made it look so easy was remarkable.

An exceptional player. A classy player and a brilliant passer. Scored some truly memorable goals and his through balls and playmaking was beautiful to watch. We were blessed with some top class players in the 90s and Sheridan is up there with our very best, not only of the 90s but of all time too. Seems like a lifetime ago. I feel sympathy for the younger fans that never got to see just how good we were at times in the 90s and top class football that we can only dream about seeing again.

On 22/03/2020 at 15:50, steelerian said:

Great player. Probably never quite got the recognition that his talents deserved, outside of S6.

A bit like Barry Bannan, only 100x better.

Not sure about that. Cult hero here as well as at Leeds and Oldham. It is a travesty how he never won Wednesday's POTY ?! :unsure:

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

The goal he scored where he was only about 6 Yards out but he skilfully jinked around 2 defenders leaving them on there arses being cooly slotting the ball home is still one of my favourites. (Plymouth at home? Think we won 3 nil) 

Not quite as memorable as his Goals against that lot from from the other side of the City in the Zenith Data, or the one against Man Utd at Wembley but the way he made it look so easy was remarkable.

Great goal that. Think he left the keeper on his harris as well before flicking the ball in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

up there with jim mcalliog and tommy craig when it comes to passing the ball …...

Tommy Craig was my first hero......(Sheridan even walked like him)...........but never saw McCalliog play , or was too young to remember.

Was he a similar player to Craig / Sheridan torry ?

20 hours ago, Geedee said:

I think the game was Oxford imo there is no question about John's ability but there was a question about his dedication and temperamant, that in imo is the reason he never achieved his potential.

Agreed. His second coming as manager at Chesterfield was a disaster and some of the post match interviews even made me squirm (and I'm not a Chesterfield fan).

This is why I much prefer to remember him as Sheridan, The Player. IMO, Sheridan was simply the best central midfielder we have had over the 50-plus years that I've been watching Wednesday. He could win the ball, he could pass short or long, he could score goals. When Jack Charlton described him as "one of my lads", you know that the guy was about as a good as a player gets.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Tommy Craig was my first hero......(Sheridan even walked like him)...........but never saw McCalliog play , or was too young to remember.

Was he a similar player to Craig / Sheridan torry ?

mccalliog was a bit more mobile than those 2 and played further forward though not as a conventional  striker but he was a very good creative player like the other 2  ….I think craig was the best but then I would as he's my all time favourite player .