Sunday BBC 3:10pm

As Nigel Pearson said recently poor recruitment and investing in the team at the wrong time took us from potential league winners in 1993-1994 to a bottom half team. 

I’ll add to that appointing the wrong manager in 1995 didn’t help either

Poor recruitment and wrong managerial appointments.  Luckily times have changed since then.. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Didn't say what happened in final, did we win?

Yes we won on penalties. It was a bit tense near the end of extra time though as Arsenal got a corner,

and despite Bright letting Linighan have a free header. It was straight at Woods and a pretty routine save for any keeper to make. 

Edited by sexpistol
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Yes we won on penalties. It was a bit tense near the end of extra time though as Arsenal got a corner,

and despite Bright letting Linighan have a free header. It was straight at Woods and a pretty routine save for any keeper to make. 

What a side!

7 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

And McCall playing for Ipswich 

And Ian Cranson lol

Alan Harper on Everton bench as well.

Had a wtf moment when it showed McCall playing in the replay a few days after his red card, then remembered that suspensions only kicked in 2 weeks later in those days. 

I still shake my head at how the  move from defence to striker worked for Warhurst he was on fire 

I heard rumours about stuff happening  and in the final and why he didn't want to play etc love to know what really happened 

only wednesday could unearth a diamond and feck it up 

1 minute ago, Essix Blue said:

Downhill after winning the semi final, it could be argued......

I feel sorry for kids on here not to know that feeling of supporting a top 3 1st division side 

From being  twinned with Wembley in the early 90s  and having such a brilliant team that never was out of a match to where we are now with a team that's rarely in one 

other than the glorious mind the gap promotion it's been a shocking slide down in quality 

12 hours ago, steelowl said:

I still shake my head at how the  move from defence to striker worked for Warhurst he was on fire 

I heard rumours about stuff happening  and in the final and why he didn't want to play etc love to know what really happened 

only wednesday could unearth a diamond and feck it up 

From memory, Francis wanted to play Hirst up front with Bright and due to us having hardly any defenders fit he supposedly told Warhurst he was playing in defence. Pearson and shirtliff were injured and Viv Anderson Was very doubtful and didn’t play in the replay. It was either Warhurst or he would have had to bring in Simon Stewart. I actually felt sorry for Francis as he had no other realistic option. Warhurst should never have refused to play ( if that is what actually transpired)

Yet amazingly he signed a new contract, and played the first few games of the next season partnering Hirst and I don’t think we scored. Warhurst was then sold to Blackburn, where I believe he played initially as a midfielder before breaking his leg.