Breaking news. Club statement.

36 minutes ago, Animis said:

Timings are interesting as well - Redgate and Meire had already resigned as Directors when we (eventually) filled the accounts in June/July 2019. DC was the only signature on the accounts, and he would have relied on the auditors sign-off before signing. 

I always thought investigating Redgate and Meire was odd due to the above, but as they've not only dropped any further investigate into them, but also DC, implies to me that the EFL don't believe DC did anything wrong up to submitting the accounts, at which the new company was already set up, albeit in name.

I can only see the valuers; accountants and auditors having to answer anything here, and I think they're already covered.

Didn't realise that Redgate and Meire had already gone.. that is odd with regard to the charges. It's a very curious situation that to me just sounds as if the EFL are just trying to appease the angry chairman from other clubs. I still firmly believe, just as I have from the beginning that nothing will come of the whole affair... Clearing Chansiri seems to indicate that he did everything correctly and with permission from the EFL as he's been intimating all along...

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

I am not making any judgement on guilt or otherwise here. The point is possible legal precedent. Organisations in both public and private cases issue charges. That does not mean that they are saying that the plaintiff or defendant is guilty. They are issuing charges. Chansiri and the other two named persons were charged. If it ever came to the point that a defendant or plaintiff could sue for defamation when cases are dropped or unproven, it would open up floodgates that I guarantee would not be of benefit to any of us.

The EFL does not have the authority of the state, so I have no idea where you're coming from with this. And a first instance legal decision is not a binding precedent.

I don't think Chansiri should sue the EFL, fwiw.

My guess about this whole situation is that somebody at the EFL dropped the ball on these cases (us, Derby, Villa), and they've been desperately trying to fix it with these charges.

The charges are weak if they look like retrospective punishment for actions that were approved at the time. Hence the need to argue that we acted in bad faith or lied.

It looks like that argument has fallen over.

I think that makes the EFL's underlying case most likely considerably weaker.

Another piece of context is that P&S rules are going to have to be relaxed for this season at least anyway, and as it's a rolling 3 year calculation, it would be capricious to penalise clubs until the effect of that is known.

Edited by WC1Owl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

The EFL does not have the authority of the state, so I have no idea where you're coming from with this. And a first instance legal decision is not a binding precedent.

OK, just reduce what I said to the logical minimum.

If any sports personality or organisation sued when disciplinary charges are dropped or not proven and it became a predent based on defamation, the whole structure of sport would collapse because the administration bodies would not apply such charges for fear of being sued.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

OK, just reduce what I said to the logical minimum.

If any sports personality or organisation sued when disciplinary charges are dropped or not proven and it became a predent based on defamation, the whole structure of sport would collapse because the administration bodies would not apply such charges for fear of being sued.

The actual legal system won't apply that as a principle to prop up sports governance. The counterargument is that sports governance should not be capricious, and should operate in legally accountable ways.

Edited by WC1Owl
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 0114 said:

Not much has changed then apart from individual charges against Chansiri, Miere & Redgrave?

The charges against the club remain but many stated that we were in serious trouble simply because the EFL do not raise charges if they don't expect to win and they rarely lose. They have given up on these charges that are directly related to the case so while we are far from out of the woods it is still a positive development.

16 hours ago, elvin parsnip said:

Don’t mess with Mr C .... especially now tinned food is worth its weight in gold ( I’m well aware he is a small shareholder in TUF before anyone starts ... it’s just a joke)

If you have to explain its a joke, nobody will laugh.

lol

1 hour ago, Big Jack said:

Somebody is going to sue the EFL over their FFP rules due to their ambiguity and inconsistencies. 

The farce around FFP and parachute payments cannot continue.

Are we to be that test case??

Posted on here a while back that we could be a test case in all things ffp. £13 million allowed losses in today's game is ridiculous especially in the championship.

It sounds like we're not quite out of the woods yet but heading in that direction. If the charges are dropped altogether then what action could be taken against the EFL? I've read in this thread that it would be wrong to do this because of upsetting the whole system of bringing charges etc. Go after the individuals who brought the charges? The Club, the Chairman, the players and the fans have suffered immensely from these charges. Why should the corrupt buggers at the EFL be able to get away with?

1 hour ago, TommyCraig said:

It sounds like we're not quite out of the woods yet but heading in that direction. If the charges are dropped altogether then what action could be taken against the EFL? I've read in this thread that it would be wrong to do this because of upsetting the whole system of bringing charges etc. Go after the individuals who brought the charges? The Club, the Chairman, the players and the fans have suffered immensely from these charges. Why should the corrupt buggers at the EFL be able to get away with?

Arbitration decisions under EFL rules are ‘final and binding’. It is very rare that arbitration is followed by court proceedings. If the arbitration panel rules that the EFL has acted ultra vires, irrationally or with procedural unfairness they can can order a compensation award. Maybe the EFL dropped the charges to avoid that if they saw the case going against them.