If the season is extended beyond june

23 minutes ago, dykwim said:

I still think the season will ultimately be declared null and void. It’s the only logical option and the authorities will have to accept it eventually. 

If man city were 25 points clear...I believe it would be.

I think it's because it's Liverpool. I really do.

Maybe I'm just cynical......or a nutter.

4 hours ago, dykwim said:

I still think the season will ultimately be declared null and void. It’s the only logical option and the authorities will have to accept it eventually. 

I think there's a chance you've got rose tinted glasses on. The only way it's logical is if the next season HAS to start on schedule. 

Had it been the UK being the only country affected I might agree with you because we need to align with all other European schedules but the fact we are in the same boat it's best to finish the seasons and then see where we are.

Far more logical and fair on all clubs to impact a season that hasn't started than scrap one that is 80% complete. 

Edited by Mystic Neg

6 hours ago, bobness said:

I imagine they will expire unless a player agrees to extend (and I'm sure some will, especially at teams who have something to play for, where nice bonuses could be included for good measure).

At the end of the day, it's about football clubs finishing the season, not players.

THIS.

A number of players may be offered extensions until the season eventually ends.

It will likely be in their interests to do so, because there won’t be much of a transfer market for them to find another club I imagine.

The FA also need to give guidance on what happens with player registrations regarding this period to see out the season if it goes on that long - will a player be allowed to move on and finish the season elsewhere thus negating traditional transfer windows/player movements in a season? I’d argue that could affect the integrity of the competition as we’re used to it if it was allowed so we really need FA to rule on it as soon as it may become an issue.

4 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

I think there's a chance you've got rose tinted glasses on. The only way it's logical is if the next season HAS to start on schedule. 

Had it been the UK being the only country affected I might agree with you because we need to align with all other European schedules but the fact we are in the same boat it's best to finish the seasons and then see where we are.

Far more logical and fair on all clubs to impact a season that hasn't started than scrap one that is 80% complete. 

I just think it will be at least 6 months before resuming can be considered and by then players will have left clubs due to contracts expiring and some clubs will have gone bust and out of existence. Some players and other personnel will also contract the virus so won’t be able to play/contribute. I don’t see how this season can be completed under those circumstances, even if it had to be behind closed doors. 

We’re being told 18 months+ for a vaccine and that the NHS is struggling to cope. When is it justifiable to place paramedics at football matches instead of helping with this pandemic?

These are uncharted waters and I don’t think the desire to restart matches in a few weeks time is grounded in reality. 

Once contracts expire and players complete previously-agreed moves or refuse to extend contracts or loans for a month or so, you could have a situation where the squad that plays the final 9 games of the season is significantly different from that which played the previous 37, which opens up all sorts of issues around the integrity of the competition.

You can't have promotion or relegation decided in such circumstances.

I honestly think this season is a write-off. Go again from scratch once we're in a position to do so.

I think there will be a decision made for the entire football world. Won't be down to the individual clubs and players.

If they know that the season can be completed by say Aug 1st then contracts will all just run until then same with all loan deals. And if clubs are struggling to meet the cost of this then there will be a fund they can apply for.

I think when Football does come back the decisions will be as a whole and everybody just has to accept this is how it is. And because of what's happened I think they will.

Emergency loan signings from League One who aren’t pony with a view to building for next season is what I would hope for, the league will surely open the loan window again or relax restriction in some way.

What will probably happen is bare minimum of short term extensions (while still shifting on the high earning deadwood) to get us over the line 

Guest Jack the Hat

I think we should finish the season off in one weekend in a massive 5a side tormament at the Doncaster Dome - followed by a carvery and p155 up.

Clubs and players aren't going to be able to come to any agreement until the full path forward is laid out.

It's not just about how this season ends (if it ends) but when the next one will begin, and what form it will take.

Also, since one of the biggest issues here is the TV money, the more games of the remaining season that can be played the less unhappy the TV companies will be.

All that is required here is to make sure that it at least appears that the intention is to finish the season, for only that way can you make the games competitive and attractive to the viewer.

It would be incredibly cynical, but even if the boardroom of every Prem and Championship team in the country knew they wouldn't be finishing the season, while all their players are still under contract, they can at least make some money (and equally, owe less money back to the TV companies) for each game they do play.

Still, these games would almost certainly be behind closed doors - a fact alone which makes these games a far less attractive viewing spectacle. Well, ordinarily, that is; but perhaps an entertainment-starved country would be ready to embrace even games played under those conditions in 6 weeks' time?

36 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Open trials at Hillsborough park.

Just fishing my boots out of the garage now

Or a museum.

I still have a pair of the original Adidas predators in my shed, I keep them polished up for practising keepyups in the garden....They are like wearing carpet slippers!!!

Season will not resume for some time 

Next seasons won't start in August 

I'd be amazed if football starts again this year (2020) things are gonna get worse before they get better 

We have worse things to worry about than if Tom Lees wants to top up his pention playing for us 

Edited by WelshOwl74

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Other than Fletcher, probably Fox (can't remember if he already extended or not) and perhaps Lee, maybe FF at a push if he was willing to drastically slash his wages, how many of them would we have wanted to keep anyway? 

For me it's not about who we want to extend/leave.. It's more of a case that we won't have a squad! Sure we can chuck the young uns in but that is a big risk and more than likely a relegation battle with inexperienced players! 

19 hours ago, dykwim said:

It will have to be its the only feasible and sensible course of action. Players can't sit around forever with their contracts being extended repeatedly (unless they're Wednesday signings) waiting for a vaccine and for football to resume.

Ultimately I can see the EFL and non League football being left with no choice but to cancel the season, like lower League rugby as already, whilst the Premier League will hold out to complete their games. Just because the top clubs care more about money than human lives or fans, they'll probably show themselves up as self interested greedy pigs by playing the games behind closed doors, without fans. Yet football is nothing without fans. If they do that, then ordinary people and fans should ignore and boycott the Premier League. I doubt most people or fans would though. 

But top level football needs to get real. There might come a more realistic period after the virus but eventually it will go back to the way it was and eventually the top clubs will want even more TV money and will threaten to breakaway again, like they did when the Premier League was formed in the first place. Football is dead and as been for a long time.

11 hours ago, dykwim said:

I just think it will be at least 6 months before resuming can be considered and by then players will have left clubs due to contracts expiring and some clubs will have gone bust and out of existence. Some players and other personnel will also contract the virus so won’t be able to play/contribute. I don’t see how this season can be completed under those circumstances, even if it had to be behind closed doors. 

We’re being told 18 months+ for a vaccine and that the NHS is struggling to cope. When is it justifiable to place paramedics at football matches instead of helping with this pandemic?

These are uncharted waters and I don’t think the desire to restart matches in a few weeks time is grounded in reality. 

Well said, it's entirely money led and there's no thought at all for ordinary people; fans, clubs, players or lower level and grass roots football. It's deluded to think that they can finish the season within a few weeks or months. Football, especially at the top level and the Premier League, are yet again showing themselves up to be selfish and greedy. Like you said, a vaccine isn't realistic until at least 18 months away, maybe longer to distribute it world wide, human lives are far more important than sport and honouring a few clubs. It's about time the game joined the real world but it won't because all they care about is money. Sod the Premier League and modern football.