EFL letter to clubs re Covid 19

Guest LondonOwl313
32 minutes ago, the third man said:

Because it this season is concluded at Christmas, what happens to next season, or do we run a season that consists of 1.5 seasons in one, that would ruin this season and next

This season needs to declared void now, so that teams can start to plan for next season, better to mess up one season than two

You're assuming that we'll be good to go again by July so players can have a pre season and then start in August.

Nothing will have changed by then because the only ways to make it stop are herd immunity or vaccine.. and neither will be done in the short term

19 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we have to accept no further football will be played this season.
Think we have 2 basic options

1. Void the entire season 

2. Finish season on present placings.

... or add this season's points to next season's points so that clubs who are doing well this season have an advantage over the ones who aren't doing so well.

In other words, the 2019/2020 campaign isn't all wasted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You're assuming that we'll be good to go again by July so players can have a pre season and then start in August.

Nothing will have changed by then because the only ways to make it stop are herd immunity or vaccine.. and neither will be done in the short term

Depends on antivirals now too, could really help until we see a vaccine.

I reckon they will cycle a shutdown every few months as the modelling predicts waves and drops over 18 months that we can't sustain in shutdown for the entire thing.

So expect July til October we'll see things relaxed enough to at the very least do some no crowd events but can see next season potentially running straight into a shutdown again. In which case do you even bother to start the next season?.

1 hour ago, the third man said:

Because it this season is concluded at Christmas, what happens to next season, or do we run a season that consists of 1.5 seasons in one, that would ruin this season and next

This season needs to declared void now, so that teams can start to plan for next season, better to mess up one season than two

I’ve just said, scrap 2020/21 or for a better use in terminology, merge this season and next.

Like someone has said, even if sport can restart in a few months, we might have waves of lockdown again next winter. Better to complete 1 season fully rather than fudging 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Couldn't agree more, but we cant finish this season regardless.

There would have to another transfer window which would give a massive advantage to clubs doing well as they would be more attractive to players

27 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I’ve just said, scrap 2020/21 or for a better use in terminology, merge this season and next.

Like someone has said, even if sport can restart in a few months, we might have waves of lockdown again next winter. Better to complete 1 season fully rather than fudging 2 seasons.

I just cant see how this season could continue after the 30th June with all the players contract issues.

What happens to next season is anyone's guess at the moment as is everything

17 minutes ago, the third man said:

I just cant see how this season could continue after the 30th June with all the players contract issues.

What happens to next season is anyone's guess at the moment as is everything

The contract thing is going to have to be a necessary evil. So let them run their course and clubs make new signings where possible, even though the season still has games left.

This may be harsh on the likes of Borussia Dortmund who will probably lose the likes of Haaland and Sancho, but it’s better than null and voiding a season three quarters of the way through or having the same issue next season,

5 hours ago, Ash76 said:

June 30 is the date UEFA have given PL to complete for the very reason of expiring contracts as well as logistical issues in planning the 20/21 season in time for the European Championships amongst other things. I'd imagine it will be the same for the EFL

A rumour I saw yesterday posted by Sports Bible was that the PL are looking at behind closed doors over a short period at 3 neutral venues where teams would likely play every 3 days

Gary Rowett hinted at that on SSN yesterday.

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we have to accept no further football will be played this season.
Think we have 2 basic options

1. Void the entire season 

2. Finish season on present placings.

To me the sensible option would be 2.

Even behind closed doors involves quite alot of people for what is, lets face it, an unnecessary activity, when the Government is requesting a halt to unnecessary travel etc. The stadium will require maintenance -  cleaners, office staff, groundsmen, - the teams will require the physios, doctors, coaches, kit man, bus driver etc etc,, then there's the 4 officials. If its on tv add camera men, front men, drivers etc. Then there would have to be some sort of security. All this going on and people are being asked not to visit elderly relatives, kids unable to sit exams they've worked for years, weddings limited to just a few guests. Doesn't sit right with me. We love football but alot of people don't.

21 hours ago, Spookone said:

To me the sensible option would be 2.

Is absolutely the most sensible thing to do I agree, the EFL don't seem to have the balls to make that decision, I believe the RFU have done something along those lines, kids have had their exams cancelled and the education authorities are looking at assessing them on their work, again the sensible thing to do, some will always disagree because it affects them negatively but in light of the current situation a lot of people from all walks of life are going to have to accept some sort of reality check.

The conclusion of the football fixtures is not a priority for anyone, call it as it is and wait for things to settle down to organise the start of next season to commence when appropriate, with promotion and relegation sorted as per current standings .... simple.

The EFL are there to make decisions they should therefore be ready to make those decisions and not sit on the fence waiting, giving those who want the season completing hope that may not exist, it's clearly very doubtful that commencing the fixtures will happen, at the very least without impacting next season too or any future competitions, three quarters of the season has been completed, logically it would be the right decision in my opinion !

3 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Is absolutely the most sensible thing to do I agree, the EFL don't seem to have the balls to make that decision, I believe the RFU have done something along those lines, kids have had their exams cancelled and the education authorities are looking at assessing them on their work, again the sensible thing to do, some will always disagree because it affects them negatively but in light of the current situation a lot of people from all walks of life are going to have to accept some sort of reality check.

The conclusion of the football fixtures is not a priority for anyone, call it as it is and wait for things to settle down to organise the start of next season to commence when appropriate, with promotion and relegation sorted as per current standings .... simple.

The EFL are there to make decisions they should therefore be ready to make those decisions and not sit on the fence waiting, giving those who want the season completing hope that may not exist, it's clearly very doubtful that commencing the fixtures will happen, at the very least without impacting next season too or any future competitions, three quarters of the season has been completed, logically it would be the right decision in my opinion !

Good points and without doubt the most sensible course of action, and what will happen I would imagine.

14 minutes ago, Spookone said:

except it ain't simple, you are effectively fining some clubs £80m or giving some clubs a £80 m bonus...just on a guesstimate.

The season needs to be null and void, simple.

4 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Firstly I don't trust them to make the right decision about what colour grass is

secondly if you in the playoff places why is it fair to promote the team in 3rd? the other three have just as much chance of getting promoted as the 3rd place team have,

so does the team to be promoted get drawn out a hat, any one from 4

Fulham have a chance of catching the top 2, they still have to play Leeds & West Brom

why should the bottom 3 get relegated based on an unfinished competition

the fairest thing to do is to declare the season null and void and start again when it is possible

Behind closed doors premier league games are an absolute non-starter

Imagine the game where Liverpool can seal the title?

They'll be 100k+ outside

Plus the govt have said they will not allow emergency support to attend the games - so they cannot go ahead

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

except it ain't simple, you are effectively fining some clubs £80m or giving some clubs a £80 m bonus...just on a guesstimate.

The season needs to be null and void, simple.

Wait a god damn minute - I didn’t say what you’ve quoted me as saying (it did confused me for a good 10 seconds though) :duntmatter: