EFL letter to clubs re Covid 19

Guest Ash76

June 30 is the date UEFA have given PL to complete for the very reason of expiring contracts as well as logistical issues in planning the 20/21 season in time for the European Championships amongst other things. I'd imagine it will be the same for the EFL

A rumour I saw yesterday posted by Sports Bible was that the PL are looking at behind closed doors over a short period at 3 neutral venues where teams would likely play every 3 days

5 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

June 30 is the date UEFA have given PL to complete for the very reason of expiring contracts as well as logistical issues in planning the 20/21 season in time for the European Championships amongst other things. I'd imagine it will be the same for the EFL

A rumour I saw yesterday posted by Sports Bible was that the PL are looking at behind closed doors over a short period at 3 neutral venues where teams would likely play every 3 days

Makes you wonder who they are playing for; sponsors, accountants?....certainly not fans.

In a country where millions of children's education is on hold, football just proves how grubby it is, playing pointless games to avoid litigation, games which lets not forget will demand attendance of key workers, whether behind closed doors or not. 

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Makes you wonder who they are playing for; sponsors, accountants?....certainly not fans.

In a country where millions of children's education is on hold, football just proves how grubby it is, playing pointless games to avoid litigation, games which lets not forget will demand attendance of key workers, whether behind closed doors or not. 

Playing devil’s advocate: would those key workers appreciate the pay for this work, tge time away from the other stresses of Covid-19 care, both of these? 

Guest Ash76
17 minutes ago, striker said:

I've no problem with it, in fact i'd welcome it.

We all need some escape from all that is happening at the minute and football on TV will give us some respite 

14 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

We all need some escape from all that is happening at the minute and football on TV will give us some respite 

Football being played and televised will mean a fair few people out working.

So an eventual Lockdown (which seems extremely likely) will put paid to that surely.

Doubt Footballers will be seen as Key Workers.

Guest LondonOwl313

This isn't going to happen, no chance the games get played behind closed doors or otherwise by the end of June. We'll still be on lockdown by then. Even if the government gave special dispensation for clubs to play (e.g. to raise morale) it will be difficult because if one player has the virus their whole team will be self isolating. Can imagine that there will be multiple cases soon.

Also, the players won't want to risk their health to play. Rooney said the other day that they were being treated like Guinea pigs as other sports were stopping. They have families too and can die of it despite being young and fit. So its a non starter really

Knowing the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful PL and EFL, they will simply invent two new months - maybe even call 'em Clarkember and Parryember - to slot in between May and June so that they get the extra time required to complete the season.

After all, despite the projected 20,000+ deaths in the UK, if the football season isn't finished on time, we're all going to Hell in a handcart.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Playing devil’s advocate: would those key workers appreciate the pay for this work, tge time away from the other stresses of Covid-19 care, both of these? 

Fair point, but suspect key workers will be kept busy enough supporting the wider population, than watching 22 blokes kicking a ball round in an empty stadium. 

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

Dont get me wrong, I'd love some football on TV, bored shitless at home. 

But it's not feasible or responsible while the wider society is under such restrictions and vital services stretched. 

7 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Why don’t they just scrap the 2020/21 season and call the current season the 2019-21 season; resuming properly when it is safe to do so?

Because it this season is concluded at Christmas, what happens to next season, or do we run a season that consists of 1.5 seasons in one, that would ruin this season and next

This season needs to declared void now, so that teams can start to plan for next season, better to mess up one season than two

The Government's first priority in a  global pandemic is the health of the population and making absolutely sure that every precaution is taken.Not 22 players kicking a bag of wind in a closed stadium in the PL.Because that will surely take up badly needed medical resources from elsewhere.:tango: