rivalry

Guest The Claw

“If you want to go to the real knuckle of Sheffield football then you will find that Wednesday are an S2 club.

Their first ground is debated but it was either halfway up Myrtle Road or it was under Highfield Library on London Road. But whichever way you go, it’s in S2.

“Sheffield FC, the world’s oldest club, their first pitch was where B&Q on Queen’s Road is.

So you can see that this is a really important area for the birth and development of football and Wednesday were desperate to be a part of that.

They really threw a strop when they found out that Bramall Lane ground committee was forming Sheffield United Football Club to play at the Lane.

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

“If you want to go to the real knuckle of Sheffield football then you will find that Wednesday are an S2 club.

Their first ground is debated but it was either halfway up Myrtle Road or it was under Highfield Library on London Road. But whichever way you go, it’s in S2.

“Sheffield FC, the world’s oldest club, their first pitch was where B&Q on Queen’s Road is.

So you can see that this is a really important area for the birth and development of football and Wednesday were desperate to be a part of that.

They really threw a strop when they found out that Bramall Lane ground committee was forming Sheffield United Football Club to play at the Lane.

An S2 club, S2 was not even an area no postcodes...how could we be jealous of a club that didn't even exist...Absolute tosh. Calls us nomadic, never than non existent were were playing 20 years before them....Talk about bitter at being the new boys....lol

Such a stupid article.

Forgetting whether post codes existed.. so we were originally an S2 club, is that supposed to be a criticism? Have we ever hidden the fact we used to play at Olive Grove. I don't really understand the point he's trying to make.

I do like the fact he believes no wednesdayite knows we used to play at the lane . As for more powerful . Less time in the top flight , less honours , fewer fans when in the same league . Blunts can't even dislike their local rivals without it not being their fault lol

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Such a stupid article.

Forgetting whether post codes existed.. so we were originally an S2 club, is that supposed to be a criticism? Have we ever hidden the fact we used to play at Olive Grove. I don't really understand the point he's trying to make.

That nothing is their fault, not even local rivalry :biggrin:

Edited by cross owl

Guest The Claw
2 hours ago, shandypants said:

It’s just an article that’s all. Just ignore it. 

sorry I did not know you wanted to post it :tango:

We’re the itch they can’t scratch and always will be. When the official twitter account weighs in (not for the first time I might add), the players of the club celebrate promotion by signing anti Wednesday songs and their ex chairman stands outside the lane desperately trying to convince them they have more fans than us (cough cough kids tickets) you know we’ve won. 

The day they are Sheffield’s big club is the day they stop talking about us. 

3 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

We’re the itch they can’t scratch and always will be. When the official twitter account weighs in (not for the first time I might add), the players of the club celebrate promotion by signing anti Wednesday songs and their ex chairman stands outside the lane desperately trying to convince them they have more fans than us (cough cough kids tickets) you know we’ve won. 

The day they are Sheffield’s big club is the day they stop talking about us. 

You do have to ask whether they're heading that way as things stand, what with their approach to academies, business, ticketing etc

They seem to have a clear strategy

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, cross owl said:

I do like the fact he believes no wednesdayite knows we used to play at the lane . As for more powerful . Less time in the top flight , less honours , fewer fans when in the same league . Blunts can't even dislike their local rivals without it not being their fault lol

What an idiot!

I’d wager more of their own fans didn’t realise we used to play at the lane than ours. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You do have to ask whether they're heading that way as things stand, what with their approach to academies, business, ticketing etc

True but that’s not down to club size, potential or fanbase. That’s down to ownership. 

One good season in the PL isn’t going to break the habit of a lifetime but we need to get our act together. In the 20 years we have been outside the PL they have had 2 stints up there and yet put us on an equal footing and there’s no doubt in my mind we have the bigger fanbase. 

I wish we had an owner that respected what our club means to the city. 

My understanding of the situation is  Wednesday wanted their own ground which they got at Olive Grove [which was in S2i think] and the owners of Bramall Lane lost the income of the Owls matches and United were formed to play at Bramall lane and earn money from the gate receipts. When Wednesday moved to Hillsborough part of the debate was moving away from our Heeley fan base. Just another made up story by a United supporter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

They seem to have a clear strategy

They were light years ahead of us in 06/07... and right now have an ownership battle. Wilder is a one in a million manager and is holding it all together. We are in a mess right now which is a testicles.

As for the article a typical bitter pig grunting away. Let them believe that if they want 

lol

Load of tripe.  Don't think either set of fans care about the early years.  

Back in the 50s when fans weren't as silly as they are now, I used to watch us one week and United (or our reserves) the following week.  There wasn't any hatred that I can recall.  Football is a sport, not a war.