Jordan Rhodes value plummets

16 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Other than swfc releasing a statement saying he'd left to take up the assistant managers job at Oldham,yeh,very little explanation !!

If you have half a brain you'd understand that the statement told you where he'd gone, not why.

18 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

You actually believe we paid those amounts? Nowhere near. They can't even spell Rhodes' name right.

And I don't need inside information for that. The circumstances by which van Aken arrived at the club tell you all that's needed to discern we simply didn't have that kind of money to spend at the time. 

Rhodes has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan until the end of the season, with an arrangement in place for a £10million permanent transfer in the summer.   -  Northern Echo  -  1.2.2017.  Your mention of Van Aken shows just how we got into such a mess.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Rhodes has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan until the end of the season, with an arrangement in place for a £10million permanent transfer in the summer.   -  Northern Echo  -  1.2.2017.  Your mention of Van Aken shows just how we got into such a mess.

You actually believe that quoting a single sentence from one newspaper constitutes proof of anything?

It is absolutely routine for chairmen, accountants, managers, players and even reporters to be misleading about such things for all kinds of different reasons. Just the one signing you refer to here I've seen quoted at anywhere from £6m to £10.4m. But it doesn't even need to be deliberately dishonest. Look at the Lucas Joao deal - a range of figures were suggested depending on whether you included conditional clauses or not. That could well be the case for Rhodes.

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2020 at 09:31, @owlstalk said:

Jordan Rhodes' market value has plummeted to less than £2million, according to transfer market analysts.

The figures from respected website Transfermarkt now rate the 30-year-old at just £1.8m - a huge drop from the £8million Sheffield Wednesday forked out for the striker back in 2017

I won't lie was delighted we sign a player like Jordan at the time and at than price tag... But we only had 3 centre half's and one of them was dodgy how we didn't strengthen that area I will never know back to cc or ap someone has to be held account for it... Villa away the 2nd season will back up what I've just stated

Our strikers goals per minute ratio this season. (DJ Mortimer is not gonna like this)

Fletcher a goal every 155 minutes

Rhodes a goal every 167 minutes

Winnall a goal every 251 minutes

Nuhiu a goal every 396 minutes

Forestieri a goal every 413 minutes

In conclusion we should persevere with the Rhodes-Fletcher partnership which showed much promise before injury hit Fletcher.

7 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Our strikers goals per minute ratio this season. (DJ Mortimer is not gonna like this)

In conclusion we should persevere with the Rhodes-Fletcher partnership which showed much promise before injury hit Fletcher.

A reminder that Fletcher-Rhodes works brilliantly as a partnership:-

16/17 - 245 minutes - 7 team goals - goal every 35 minutes

17/18 - 101 minutes - 3 team goals - goal every 34 minutes

19/20 - 266 minutes - 8 team goals - goal every 33 minutes

On 19/03/2020 at 21:02, DJMortimer said:

You actually believe that quoting a single sentence from one newspaper constitutes proof of anything?

It is absolutely routine for chairmen, accountants, managers, players and even reporters to be misleading about such things for all kinds of different reasons. Just the one signing you refer to here I've seen quoted at anywhere from £6m to £10.4m. But it doesn't even need to be deliberately dishonest. Look at the Lucas Joao deal - a range of figures were suggested depending on whether you included conditional clauses or not. That could well be the case for Rhodes.

I actually know the exact amount paid. Take it or leave it. 

On 20/02/2020 at 19:12, DJMortimer said:

I remember Andy Pearce scoring in 3 consecutive games in January 1994, but got only 1 in his other 80 appearances.

I remember Dominic Iorfa scoring 3 in his first 7 games for us, then 1 in 32 since.

I remember Lawrie Madden scoring 3 in 5 games during October 1983, but got only 2 in his other 256 appearances.

I remember Andy Sinton scoring 3 goals in his first 2 games in September 1993, then 0 in the other 63.

I remember Nigel Pearson scoring 12 goals in 51 games during 1990/1 but only 8 in his other 166 appearances.

I remember Regi Blinker scoring 2 on his debut in March 1996, then only 1 in his other 44 appearances.

Welcome to the world of outliers in statistics.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

But none of them have a track record of being regular goalscorers.Unlike Jordan Rhodes.

Most of them are defenders, and even they were able to have bursts of goalscoring activity way out of keeping with the rest of their careers. So a forward doing it is of even less significance. What is being quoted is the equivalent of just a few games. There's no safe conclusion from that, especially when you compare it with the rest of his Wednesday output which has been truly abysmal. And whatever credit can be taken from it, should clearly be attributed to Fletcher it seems to me.

And the best of Rhodes' output is retreating ever more into history. Even at Blackburn, he ended with 4 goals in 17 games (and one of them in a cup game against Newport). What do you see when you watch him? A dynamic presence just waiting to burst into life? Because I, and probably 90% of the rest of the fans don't. Why have all of our managers relegated him to irrelevance? How come there hasn't been steady interest in buying such a talent when we don't use him and are desperate to save some serious wedge from the balance sheet?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Most of them are defenders, and even they were able to have bursts of goalscoring activity way out of keeping with the rest of their careers. So a forward doing it is of even less significance. What is being quoted is the equivalent of just a few games. There's no safe conclusion from that, especially when you compare it with the rest of his Wednesday output which has been truly abysmal. And whatever credit can be taken from it, should clearly be attributed to Fletcher it seems to me.

And the best of Rhodes' output is retreating ever more into history. Even at Blackburn, he ended with 4 goals in 17 games (and one of them in a cup game against Newport). What do you see when you watch him? A dynamic presence just waiting to burst into life? Because I, and probably 90% of the rest of the fans don't. Why have all of our managers relegated him to irrelevance? How come there hasn't been steady interest in buying such a talent when we don't use him and are desperate to save some serious wedge from the balance sheet?

I see a striker with great movement finding space and getting increasingly frustrated when a cross or pass doesn't arrive. We all know he needs supply but if it doesn't come he is pretty irrelevant. So why not try playing to his strengths ala the Forest game and play him with a decent big man as he always has done when he's scored regularly. No surprise we looked good with him and Fletcher together briefly.

You wouldn't sign Lee Chapman and constantly play through balls for him to chase would you? No you'd play to his strengths and constantly supply crosses.

12 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Too simplistic. You have to consider a players full contribution to a game including things that can’t be quantified but qualified/measured “by the eye”(e.g. pressing the play or “filling the gap”) or things that can be quantified but not freely available for Joe Public to digest (e.g. making yourself available to receive the ball in effective areas). 

There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics. Just by watching Rhodes, you can see that he contributes the square root of fvvck all to a game. Also, if we are to use statistics, we must accept that statisticians remove outliers from a series as they skew the result of the analysis. Rhodes’ four goals against Forest would be such an outlier and if removed, you will see that Rhodes’ minutes to goals ratio isn’t anything to write home about.    

Rhodes has had his chance to become a first team player and he hasn’t taken it; that is the absolute truth. He has one tactic that he always returns to and that is to work the channel (i.e. run directly, diagonally or in an arcing direction of travel into the gap between the centre-half and the fullback with a view to receive a forward pass) but when he does work the channel, he either doesn’t have to pace to collect the ball, is “eased” off the ball by the opposing player or the pass isn’t made because working the channel is the wrong play to make in that instance. One statistic we should consider is how many times per match Rhodes holds his thumb up because that is an effective indication that he has tried and failed to contribute. 

We all wanted Rhodes to prosper on the pitch as an Owls player but the truth of it is that he is yesterday’s man and, for whatever reason, we can’t get rid of him. Steve Gibson must have been mightily relieved when Chansiri came along with his chequebook and an enquiry about Rhodes. 

• Thanks 1