EFL clubs vote to finish the season off

On 17/03/2020 at 20:25, Bulldog said:

You do know there's a generation of younger people on here who will have no idea what you are talking about :biggrin:

They don't even know they're born do they! 

That's what my dad called it and so I will try to keep the 'wireless' going in our house though telling that to my lad as he walks around with ear plugs in that aren't connected to anything is more trouble than its worth. lol He hasn't got a clue who the bloke with the pipe is either, or what a pipe is for that matter!

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

In light of the current recommendations on social distancing I have had to cancel all my forthcoming threesomes, I reckon the birthrate might drop a tad too in the next 9 months or so.

On the issue of football and the so called desire to finish this seasons fixtures, I reckon unless the clubs play their remaining games behind closed doors there is absolutely NFC !

Essentially they're going to have to do what the Premier League decides. They in turn, given the Champions League etc, will be heavily influenced by UEFA. 

Read the first page and couldn't be bothered after that to find something sensible. 

There are 2 choices, you either keep the integrity of the league in this and all future seasons or you risk having a farce in consecutive seasons. 

1) Abandon this season dashing the hopes of several prosperous clubs and save a few hopeless ones. Potentially start the next season delayed and not have enough room for a proper set of fixtures. 

Or

2) Reward the teams and fans of prosperous clubs for their efforts this season and only risk a disrupted following season. 

It's a no brainer, unless the governing bodies want all hell to break loose there is absolutely no risk in saying it will be finished when it can be. What is so precious about a season that hasn't even started yet?

All European leagues are in the same boat, there is no perfect solution. The least harmful is to say we will finish this season when we can across the board and then see what opportunity is presented for the footballing calendar thereafter. 

Edited by Mystic Neg

7 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Read the first page and couldn't be bothered after that to find something sensible. 

There are 2 choices, you either keep the integrity of the league in this and all future seasons or you risk having a farce in consecutive seasons. 

1) Abandon this season dashing the hopes of several prosperous clubs and save a few hopeless ones. Potentially start the next season delayed and not have enough room for a proper set of fixtures. 

Or

2) Reward the teams and fans of prosperous clubs for their efforts this season and only risk a disrupted following season. 

It's a no brainer, unless the governing bodies want all hell to break loose there is absolutely no risk in saying it will be finished when it can be. What is so precious about a season that hasn't even started yet?

All European leagues are in the same boat, there is no perfect solution. The least harmful is to say we will finish this season when we can across the board and then see what opportunity is presented for the footballing calendar thereafter. 

As you haven’t read the other pages I can tell you that Night Owl will be along soon to tell you the following:

1) why care about integrity in sport?

2) human lives and health is more important

3) Why finish this season for the sake of a few teams?

4) Games were cancelled during war time in the 1940’s

5) what will happen to players who’s contracts expire in June? 
6) people are deluded if they think we can be organised enough in 2020 to finish this season and start a new season in the future 

And repeat

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Haha 1

The government advice is not to gather in groups of more than 3 to 5 people and keep a couple of metres distance.

Walked past a pub in our village last night and must have been 30 people in just stood about drinking..

And what do football clubs do? Resume training...

3 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

The government advice is not to gather in groups of more than 3 to 5 people and keep a couple of metres distance.

Walked past a pub in our village last night and must have been 30 people in just stood about drinking..

And what do football clubs do? Resume training...

Anyone congregating anywhere now whether it’s pubs, clubs, restaurants, training ground or anywhere is simply responsible for the spread of this virus and killing someone’s (maybe their own) nannan or grandad or both

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyone congregating anywhere now whether it’s pubs, clubs, restaurants, training ground or anywhere is simply responsible for the spread of this virus and killing someone’s (maybe their own) nannan or grandad or both

I wouldn't say they are responsible but they are certainly massively adding to the risk.

2 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

I wouldn't say they are responsible but they are certainly massively adding to the risk.

Is about time the authorities say, time to close, just too much of a risk. It's a bit different for shops as buy and go. Take out still an option I guess.

Sadly I think it needs a sharp increase in the number of people dying for a lot of people taking the Government advice seriously.

Government may have to force pubs etc to close.
I know some pubs are open but I wouldn't feel comfortable having a drink in them at the moment. 
I wouldn't forgive myself if my Mum caught it.

Its all around money, Sky want their money back, the clubs don't want to give it back so forget the health issues, forget the governments advise about numbers,

how many players and staff would be together for training or a football match

despite their thoughts of how important football is. I think what is happening shows how unimportant playing football matches is

Just forget it, come to some agreement about money, perhaps clubs should lay off players so that they can sympathise with the fans:huh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Is about time the authorities say, time to close, just too much of a risk. It's a bit different for shops as buy and go. Take out still an option I guess.

Shops are different as people don't congregate together for hours like in restaurants, bars etc.

Just shows how stubborn/thick some people are but then looking around it's hardly a surprise is it really

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Watch this

We are two or three weeks behind Italy

It’s coming

Its not even here yet

Even the scientific community are perplexed as to why Italy seems to be bearing the brunt.

They have even more cases than China, reportedly.

It is possible that the Virus has developed into a more virulent strain there. That's about the only sense i can make

Your kind of sensationalist posts saying it's coming don't help. You don't know that. It may do. But leading biological scientists

don't know so why post it? I get you need traffic but seriously.

6 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Even the scientific community are perplexed as to why Italy seems to be bearing the brunt.

They have even more cases than China, reportedly.

It is possible that the Virus has developed into a more virulent strain there. That's about the only sense i can make

Your kind of sensationalist posts saying it's coming don't help. You don't know that. It may do. But leading biological scientists

don't know so why post it? I get you need traffic but seriously.

stopped taking you seriously at the traffic comment 

Owlstalk Shop

latest is social distancing needed for minimum of 6 months just on bbc news website. I hope our hospitals are going to be properly equipped to cope . this aint going away for a very long time probably years . the balance will have to be struck between nobody earning a living and everything totally collapsing or trying to get back to some kind of normality where the elderly/frail may have to self exclude for contact for a very long time until a vaccine is given and that could be upto 2 years,lets hope its a lot less . 

Social distancing ? Yet they are all queuing up outside the bloody supermarkets, then they queue up at the checkouts, the supermarkets are busier than the pubs, is their really a solution to social distancing ..... might have to make shopping an all ticket affair eh !