Carlos “I am finished... This is the new me”

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wallace did a good job, although we gave him a new deal in 2017. He rewarded us with a poor season. Pudil had a good loan spell but we signed him for 2m at 31 years old. From that point he showed clear signs of decline. Hooper very talented but his time with us he was given a pass from a lot of fans. Spent large chunks of the time out injured and didn't offer enough for the £3m spent and the wages paid. And ended up walking away without making any money on him = bad recruitment. 

Fletcher has come into his own this season, but for the reported 35k - 40k a week, did he really do enough in the first three seasons with us? Nope.

In my opinion we made two excellent signings in Bannan and Forestieri. Both signed at good ages and both after the first season had excellent re-sale value which we could use to reinvest into the squad. But no we didn't sell them. And now they'll leave us for nowt. 

Bit harsh on Fletcher that. When he signed I was dubious due to a bit of a media reputation of being a money grabber from his time at Sunderland but he has proved me wrong. He scored 12 goals in 2016-17 and 2018-19, finding his form in the latter once Jos had gone as he didn't seem to have a clue how to get the best out of him. Aside from his goals he offers much more to the all round performance of the team and has always been willing to put his body on the line in challenges. I maintain that had he stayed on the field in the play-off 2nd leg against Huddersfield we would have won that game and if it had still gone to penalties he would not have bottled taking one.

Don't get the whole Fletcher on big wages argument, never once looked like he isn't interested and always puts a shift in, he cost us £0 in transfer fees and nowadays the kind of player he is we would have been paying a couple of million for his services, so paying him a bit higher wages doesn't hurt too much.

We've spent money and wages on players who have had much less impact or zero impact at all.

Emanuelson - very strange "agent" signing, Sougou, Melo, Abdi, Jones, McGugan, Matias & Boyd, Rhodes, Hoooper to some extent... you get the idea.

The people who will be defending this will be the same t055ers who clapped Carlos off the bus when he came back as swasnsea manager, like he was some kind of god 

It's been obvious for years that some players don't give a to55 about the club or fans but still people suck up to them 

2 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

The people who will be defending this will be the same t055ers who clapped Carlos off the bus when he came back as swasnsea manager, like he was some kind of god 

It's been obvious for years that some players don't give a to55 about the club or fans but still people suck up to them 

We've got a squad of players of whome many were not around when Carlos was manager but some are still blaming him for the attitude of the current squad. Why? Who are the culprits?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We've got a squad of players of whome many were not around when Carlos was manager but some are still blaming him for the attitude of the current squad. Why? 

Because there is a culture within the club that wasn't there before Carlos/Chansiri's time

Now it's there it's virtually impossible to get rid of without clearing the decks of the players/staff that have created that culture and continued on with it

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

PS - I wonder how many of the existing team at SWFC are in that Whatsapp Group still

Sadly I bet most teams have a WhattApp group where similar laughs are had at the expense of team mates, coaches, managers, fans. Sign of the times.

Also, when taken in isolation clips like these look bad. Wallace has been invited to do an interview and has picked out anecdotes that will be of interest and get attention. He played for us for us for 3 years. I bet many of us will be able to pick out an incident we have had a laugh at the managers expense in that period, does it mean we are work shy wasters who don't care? 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because there is a culture within the club that wasn't there before Carlos/Chansiri's time

Now it's there it's virtually impossible to get rid of without clearing the decks of the players/staff that have created that culture and continued on with it

Who do you think is causing this culture to be continued within the current squad?

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos had the opportunity to stamp it out the second the first player showed signs of it

The club had the perfect opportunity to say no player is bigger then the club when FF refused to play v Norwich and they gave him a wage rise.

That to me was a watershed moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The club had the perfect opportunity to say no player is bigger then the club when FF refused to play v Norwich and they gave him a wage rise.

That to me was a watershed moment.

There's that too

Massive moment

Makes you wonder if the players have direct communication with the chairman too (to bypass/challenge the manager's decisions)

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sadly I bet most teams have a WhattApp group where similar laughs are had at the expense of team mates, coaches, managers, fans. Sign of the times.

Also, when taken in isolation clips like these look bad. Wallace has been invited to do an interview and has picked out anecdotes that will be of interest and get attention. He played for us for us for 3 years. I bet many of us will be able to pick out an incident we have had a laugh at the managers expense in that period, does it mean we are work shy wasters who don't care? 

It's the way of the world these days and football supporters are hardly renowned for their restraint or perspective, even when things are going well, never mind when things are as bad as we've had this last couple of months. No one has got any time for nuance, changing circumstances or extenuating factors. Everything is a snap judgement of one polar extreme or the other which must be defended beyond all reason. At the moment there are two narratives that are dominating; one is that Monk is so thoroughly incompetent that everything he does is "like, literally the worst thing ever" and the other is that the players have the generosity of spirit akin to serial killers on death row. Whilst there may be elements of truth in both or neither, details are deemed unnecessary whilst everyone sagely nods their heads in collective agreement and the momentum keeps building without the need for niceties such as tangible evidence.

• Like 1