EFL Statement

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters is of paramount importance and will be key to the decisions made by football during what is clearly an unprecedented situation facing our game.

It is with that in the forefront of the League’s mind that it notes the intense speculation that has appeared across the local, national and international media over the weekend.

Whilst the League and its Board understand there is a strong desire from both the media and general public to understand what may happen next, there have, at this current time, been no decisions taken.

The League also feels it inappropriate to respond to the many hypothetical solutions being suggested whilst the many unknowns remain.

Given the fast paced environment and parameters we are currently working within, it is simply not practical to give a running commentary on what may happen.

In the immediate short term we will continue with our contingency planning to deal with the implications the outbreak of Covid-19 has presented the EFL and its Clubs, in addition to liaising with the Government, health authorities and football partners.

A further update will be given once the EFL Board has met this week.

In the meantime, we wish the football and wider community well and urge all to follow the guidance from the Government provided by Public Health England if presented with any symptoms - https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response

EFL Chair, Rick Parry, said: “These are indeed challenging times for the League, its Clubs and the game as a whole. However, now is the time for cool heads and calm reflection, rather than speculation as we look to steer our competitions and Clubs through this period of uncertainty.”

It would have been a lot short press conference if Parry told the truth.

The EFL have not made any decision yet and will wait to see what decision is made by the English Premier league before copying what they do.

As everyone knows in English football, it is not the EFL, or the FA, that make the decisions it is the EPL and their sponsors.

thank you and good night :bullen:

To be fair, and this will be a first for me defending the EFL, what could they really say?

If A happens then b,c, or d may follow 

If B happens e,d or f will apply unless A part d has already happened etc etc. It’s a minefield they have steered well clear of.

no one really knows how this will pan out, I just hope I’m not laid on my death bed on July 7th asking  so can FF play today or not, and what about the points deduc........

The EFL faces the very real prospect of losing some of its member clubs by the time this thing is over and done with. 

Clubs in League One and Two in particular are reliant upon gate receipts and matchday income. There is no whopping great tv deal to soften the blow. 

If the season is rendered void, then the likes of Sky, BT will probably refuse to pay up all the TV money, as they haven't been able to broadcast the stipulated amount of league games agreed to. 

Not good.l 

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

To be fair, and this will be a first for me defending the EFL, what could they really say?

If A happens then b,c, or d may follow 

If B happens e,d or f will apply unless A part d has already happened etc etc. It’s a minefield they have steered well clear of.

no one really knows how this will pan out, I just hope I’m not laid on my death bed on July 7th asking  so can FF play today or not, and what about the points deduc........

Questions you'd be asking, on your death bed, really!

51 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The EFL faces the very real prospect of losing some of its member clubs by the time this thing is over and done with. 

Clubs in League One and Two in particular are reliant upon gate receipts and matchday income. There is no whopping great tv deal to soften the blow. 

If the season is rendered void, then the likes of Sky, BT will probably refuse to pay up all the TV money, as they haven't been able to broadcast the stipulated amount of league games agreed to. 

Not good.l 

You'd like to think the Premier League clubs would each chip in a bit to create a fund which could be used to help those lower down the footballing pyramid survive this crisis, wouldn't you?

295193164_P*ssingInTheWind.gif.1a88b28c4ff4516f392b5ba20e0a42f3.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You'd like to think the Premier League clubs would each chip in a bit to create a fund which could be used to help those lower down the footballing pyramid survive this crisis, wouldn't you?

Or if there is no relegation they give the parachute payments, which they won't be paying out, to the EFL clubs....so £180m split between 71 clubs. Should be enough to stop league one and league 2 clubs going under if structured properly

But they won't

1 minute ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Or if there is no relegation they give the parachute payments, which they won't be paying out, to the EFL clubs....so £180m split between 71 clubs. Should be enough to stop league one and league 2 clubs going under if structured properly

But they won't

I'd like to think we're just being overly-cynical and will be made to eat our words in the coming months.

We'll see.

On 16/03/2020 at 14:24, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Great idea 

Working on just epl clubs

180m divided 3 shares of the money to league clubs, 2 share of the money to league one clubs and 1 share of the money to championship clubs would mean... 

League 2 = 3.5m each

League 1 = 2.3m each

Champ.   = 1.1m each

That would be lifesaving for many clubs.  It is obscene how much money those prem clubs come down with.