No football for up to 4 months

6 hours ago, owlmark said:

Forget any more football this season but start next season with the remainder of this seasons games and finish off league positions.

Have a mid season break while play-offs are decided with a further week or so for the play-off finalists to have a rest then play a full season but only play each other once.

This allows the completion of this season, the completion of next season and no legal challenges.

Big problem with any solution is there will be reduced income over a the two seasons; how is that solved?

It's a good idea I'd thought of something similar. The thing is can teams really play each other only once? Will be a lot of luck involved about who you play home or away etc.

I think the season is toast now too. No way should they award any promotions or relegations based on the current standings, that would be an utter disgrace (especially when teams have games in hand and easier opponents to face etc).

Scousers will have the pitchforks out once we're all out of isolation, but apart from that it seems the best solution. Hopefully can restart in time for the usual start of next season.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I genuinely think there will be no football for 18 months

e.g. no season next season either

Quite possibly. Reading the Imperial College update that seems a plausible outcome.

Think we need to realise this is a LOT bigger than football.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah that report is where I pulled my estimate out from

Sad times

Without blowing smoke up your Kadeem Arris, this site can provide some much-needed interest and especially light relief during what is likely to be a hugely difficult time. Thank you.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Without blowing smoke up your Kadeem Arris, this site can provide some much-needed interest and especially light relief during what is likely to be a hugely difficult time. Thank you.

We will certainly try

I personally crippled with a serious anxiety problem meaning I can veer from watching news or reading something to immediately thinking the absolute worst is gonna happen so am gonna rely on others to help out  big time during those freak out days I have.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We will certainly try

I personally crippled with a serious anxiety problem meaning I can veer from watching news or reading something to immediately thinking the absolute worst is gonna happen so am gonna rely on others to help out  big time during those freak out days I have.

Well I’m typing this from behind the settee, so don’t expect too much from me.

47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If that’s the case, and I have to say it’s the most likely scenario in my eyes, I think it will be a massive leveller for us because most teams will have as many out of contract players by then.

It might also be a good time for the authorities to have a good look at football finances and P&S of which both are in a mess. 

Who pays the in contract players wages until then god only knows? Imagine your Rooneys of this world on Income support? 

What a pickle the world is finding itself in.

Yeah, I think we are probably looking at 2021 before football starts again...

Those thinking things will kick back into gear in the summer are probably living in cloud cuckoo land. 

Massive implications for many clubs, up and down the football pyramid. 

Even some of the PL clubs may have issues, what with the prospect of losing a chunk of TV money due to fixtures not going ahead, subscription cancellations etc. imagine a few may have taken out loans against said income. 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Longer this goes on this is possible though by then most clubs will have gone bankrupt, this goes for a lot of other things too, airlines, travel companies, pubs and restaurants and high street shops if a lock down continued indefinitely. 

OK, here's an idea if football doesn't resume soon (which it won't) and the current season can't be completed:-

Simply (a) count back so that each team has played the same number of games and (b) carry forward the points into next season. No champions, no promotion, no playoffs, no relegation this time around.

Clubs can plan now for next season on the assumption that perhaps by August, we will be over the worst. Players and staff still get their close season and next season carries on where this incomplete season has left off. No worries about contracts after 1st June with regards to ending this season much later than planned. Season ticket holders get the missed games carried forward. Teams that have done well this season get an advantage over teams that aren't doing well this season and there are no "what ifs" which is what will be required, along with many court cases, to sort out the current situation.

No solution is ever going to be fair but the above recognises the current positions in the leagues and gives an opportunity to salvage something out of a season that's going nowhere.