No football for up to 4 months

56 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

I don't see there will be any sport by august and maybe not at all this year. I get that there is nowhere near enough respirators , but with sensible actions which don't include locking us all away for months life can get back to normal . I also don't agree with some nonsense about restarting this season in sept then starting next season in January just to suit fifa and there bl**dy world cup . just wont work . looks to be best case scenario would be starting again with same teams in same league in august . if the predicted 500000 dieing in uk is true then why haven't 5 million died in china? already? 

Everyone is just guessing I guess. 

I'm guessing it will peak in Italy by end of this month which would possibly mean peaking here by end of April, possibly meaning football can restart before end of May. 

One thing is certain, it won't be starting on April 3rd/4th they've mentioned. 

Edited by bradowl

24 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think in Mid May they will be moves again to start live sport again which will probably be too late for the football season.

Sure they are already talking about how to settle this season appropriately.

Or inappropriately.

Brighton are suggesting no relegation this year and only two teams promoted from EFL.

Then PL has 22 teams next year and 4 relegated but only 2 promoted again. 

Again PL teams ringfencing themselves by reducing relegation and promotion from EFL from 6 to 4 over 2 years.

EFL should tell them where to stick this.

With 9 games left and a realistic deadline of 30th June for completing this year (even if the Euros are toast) it would mean restarting the league around last week in May. 

That seems a bit ambitious at the moment given the Italy scenario but hey, who really knows.

Its so weird.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

With 9 games left and a realistic deadline of 30th June for completing this year (even if the Euros are toast) it would mean restarting the league around last week in May. 

That seems a bit ambitious at the moment given the Italy scenario but hey, who really knows.

Its so weird.

Not a chance things will be back by then

No chance

Owlstalk Shop

Is there really a chance this season won’t be completed? I thought that was worse case scenario, isn’t it all being blown way out of proportion? How can they not finish the season? How is it fair to teams who could get promoted or escape relegation? Won’t that open legal cases galore? 

Edited by Dexter Morgan

2 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Is there really a chance this season won’t be completed? I thought that was worse case scenario, isn’t it all being blown way out of proportion? How can they not finish the season? How is it fair to teams who could get promoted or escape relegation? Won’t that open legal cases galore? 

It's unlikely for there to be a scenario which works for everyone. No matter what happens, there are going to be some losers. 

Instinctively you'd say we could let the season resume at some point in the future, but by then it could be too late, as many players will no longer be contracted to their respective clubs. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nero said:

Or inappropriately.

Brighton are suggesting no relegation this year and only two teams promoted from EFL.

Then PL has 22 teams next year and 4 relegated but only 2 promoted again. 

Again PL teams ringfencing themselves by reducing relegation and promotion from EFL from 6 to 4 over 2 years.

EFL should tell them where to stick this.

Definitely taken a page out of Bolton's old chairman and wants a closed shop. Brighton are at risk of dropping and he'd rather take the extra £100m, no brainer :mad:. Looking at their results this season they're currently on a rotten run, and of the 6 teams they've beaten - 2 were Norwich and Bournemouth, with the other 4 being teams who were just about to lose their managers (Arsenal, Watford, Everton and Spurs).

Just cancel the season now and award titles, promotions and relegations based on current standings. The teams currently in third places get the play off winners spots, the the cups are just scrapped. That's the easiest way for me. 

41 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Legally it's all Force Majure. No one can sue god.

If you want to scare yourself s###less, search out the documentary from inside Wuhang that was on BBC news channel last night.

Or the Wuhan doctor on iplayer.

The 5000 ventilators we have in the UK is nowhere near enough as the government admitted today. 

At the moment here it's being undesold if anything.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Legally it's all Force Majure. No one can sue god.

If you want to scare yourself s###less, search out the documentary from inside Wuhang that was on BBC news channel last night.

Or the Wuhan doctor on iplayer.

The 5000 ventilators we have in the UK is nowhere near enough as the government admitted today. 

At the moment here it's being undesold if anything.

Absolutely. We have Italian friends and they are suffering big style. It's to the point where many are frightened, loved one's in hospitals dying alone. Figures being quoted officially are well under to try to calm things down. Make no bones about it, its going to get very bad indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest LondonOwl313

Tbh football just doesn’t matter.. this is a wartime setting. No point making any decisions until we know when we’re able to actually restart anything which to my mind will be when there’s a vaccine next year. So either this season will be null and void, or we can finish it in 12 months time and skip a season. I think that’s where we’re going when this is all done

For me the season has finished. Not sure how they will sort out promotion and relegation though as there will be clubs (even in a global medical crisis) that will threaten legal action if not given the chance to get promoted or those who are relegated once the dust has settled. Remember Nantes demanding payment for Emiliano Sala once the initial period of remember an end had died down.

Years ago it wouldn’t have been too much of an issue and I think clubs will have just accepted the decision. It just show how much money in football has changed the game if this happens.

This season is finished. No way any promotion, relegation or titles can be awarded because that's not the rules. Too much money involved so too many lawsuits.

As far as PL helping out lower leagues, I think that's a gross underestimation of how much the 'lower leagues' might need to weather this. Estimated the national league alone will need £10m. Sure, PL clubs have plenty of income but they also have plenty of expenditure.

Bigger issue for PL is breach of contract with Sky who are not going to be too keen to make full payments when they've lost not only a chunk of season but arguably the end of the season is the most important to them.

Reality is though that the big losers in all of this will be the small businesses that either supply clubs or rely on their fans. Pubs, takeaways and catering companies are obvious ones but there are so many businesses linked to a football club one way or another and you can guarantee that when policy decisions are made to deal with the financial fall out, it will be all about tax breaks etc for the actual clubs and once again, the small guy will get f**ked.