Computer used to predict the scores of matches

Anybody else remember this happening? Iirc the results were only used for the football pools and didn't effect the league tables. Was it in the 70s or am I imagining it.

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Pools panel Darra...simply for the pools coupon If i recall

That's what I thought it was for the coupons. Maybe I'm getting if mixed up with them using a computer for horse racing (grand national) during foot and mouth.

Having analysed them for 3 months can you input the following data into the Sheffield Wednesday Prediction program please Mr Jones 

They can't pass,

They seem unable to run 

They don't have a set way of playing but seemed to enjoy the flat back 9 in a recent cup match 

Here is the prediction now sir,

Wednesday 0 - Forest 4 

System seems to work perfectly Jones 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, torres said:

Having analysed them for 3 months can you input the following data into the Sheffield Wednesday Prediction program please Mr Jones 

They can't pass,

They seem unable to run 

They don't have a set way of playing but seemed to enjoy the flat back 9 in a recent cup match 

Here is the prediction now sir,

Wednesday 0 - Forest 4 

System seems to work perfectly Jones 

You have to input a full time score too. :duntmatter:

• Haha 5

We used to play a cricket game 'Owzthat' I think it was called, which used a special dice. I'm sure we played a football dice game by the same company.  We could use that instead of crappy computers.

There was also Logacta which used dice and complex rules but was surprisingly realistic rules wise.  You had to fill in loads of charts though.

Edited by Inspector Lestrade
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We used to play a cricket game 'Owzthat' I think it was called, which used a special dice. I'm sure we played a football dice game by the same company.  We could use that instead of crappy computers.

There was also Logacta which used dice and complex rules but was surprisingly realistic rules wise.  You had to fill in loads of charts though.

Crikey, how long ago are we talking here if dice and paper are used?

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Wow,me and my older brother played both of these for hours,loved the football one but couldn’t remember what it was called.

Edited by s2blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Screenshot_20200313-175907_Google.thumb.jpg.0576e2b925f1c085484702be18b1f349.jpg

I had these. 

I think the shape is how I imagine Tom Lees feet are.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2