DeeJayOne

BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Posted (edited)

The geopolitical fallout from this will be life changing. I said in an earlier post that this was probably the worlds most seismic event since WW2 and I think there will be broadly similar political repercussions from this. 

You would hope that the international efforts required to quash this, would shine fresh light on the need for co-operation and peace over isolation and nationalism; especially with climate change still needing to be addressed. In reality I suspect things will entrench even deeper in the opposite direction.

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

The geopolitical fallout from this will be life changing. I said in an earlier post that this was probably the worlds most seismic event since WW2 and I think there will be broadly similar political repercussions from this. 

You would hope that the international efforts required to quash this, would shine fresh light on the need for co-operation and peace over isolation and nationalism; especially with climate change still needing to be addressed. In reality I suspect things will entrench even deeper in the opposite direction.

Agree. I think the economic divebomb will add extra pressure. And christ we have brexit to add on top. Surely extending the transition period should  happen

Edited by darklord

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Someone who has had it 

Just watching this.

Don't know why, but it's making me laugh! 

He doesn't half waffle on, and his Wife's looks at him! 😂

Just at the bit where he's not pointing fingers but he's basically saying someone that had a cold opened the door for them to catch the virus. 😭

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

This is the issue that I am trying to allude to in many posts that might come across as rants aimed at the ruling party in China. Whilst people focus on Trump and what he might do, they are completely missing an even bigger global political risk. The current leader of the regime in China is the most dangerous threat to world stability since a certain Austrian dude that was around in the early twentieth century. I don't think much of the world realise how oppressive Xi is nor the sense of ultra nationalistic fervour that he ingenders in the mainland of China. His political rhetoric is scary and he can do anything that he wants under a backdrop of an autocratic authoritarian dictatorship.

This outbreak of coronavirus should have been a setback for him and his regime but they have turned it into a massive propaganda victory. Regardless of whatever setback Xi faces, he comes out of it stronger. Some say Xi is already the most powerful leader on the planet. If he isn't, he soon will be. The thing he has over Trump is his personal charisma and ability to woo the people. Xi is a political phenomenon that needs reining back for the safety and wellbeing of the global community.

If all of that sounds like sensationalist nonsense, a few points to consider:

• China is currently engaged in the biggest programme of ethnic cleansing and mass internship since the second world war.
  • The construction of huge so called "retraining facilities" (that are actually concentration camps) appearing in many mainland locations.
  • Forced organ harvesting from prisoners of conscious to sell on the international market to fund infrastructure projects.
  • Use of cyber and digital technology to control every thought and action of every member of the population to an extent that Orwell couldn't have dreamed of.
  • Measures to suppress free speech and democracy to levels that are even draconian by Chinese standards and worse than Xi's predecessors.
  • Greater powers of arrest without trial for anything that the party deems likely to "destabilize the harmony of the people".
  • Forced removal of any overseas journalists reporting on China related current affairs and imposition of visa restrictions.
  • Using the excuse of dealing with corruption as a backdrop to purging the party of every liberal reformer including the hugely popular Bo xilai.
  • In a failing economy, using trillions of US Dollars for military expansionism whilst many of the population live in poverty and squalor.
  • Building of artificial islands in the South China Sea to house military bases as a threat to other Asian nations.
  • Loaning huge sums of capital to high risks nations so as to obtain land overseas in exchange for defaul repayments thus enabling global expansionism.
  • The gradual encroachment on Hong Kong and Taiwan with view to bringing them under Beijing control in contravention of international treaty.
  • Violation of territorial treaties related to several land masses located in the South China Sea.
  • Using power and influence of Xi to change constitutional issues in China including abolition of fixed term presidency and restrictions on power.

There are many, many more I could add but the point is China is paving the way for a sea change shift in global powerbase politics that will shape the world for many years to come. They are getting away with it because other global leaders won't challenge Beijing's authority on the premise of damaging trade links. China is a different animal to the past. No longer are they the oppressed in the world community. They are a vibrant, powerful nation and they deem now as the time for retribution for the so called century of humiliation. Be warned!

Edited by ChinaOwl
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:
  • Use of cyber and digital technology to control every thought and action of every member of the population to an extent that Orwell couldn't have dreamed of.
  • Measures to suppress free speech and democracy to levels that are even draconian by Chinese standards and worse than Xi's predecessors.

I would be expecting a knock on your door anytime soon in that case.

lol

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

Just watching this.

Don't know why, but it's making me laugh! 

He doesn't half waffle on, and his Wife's looks at him! 😂

Just at the bit where he's not pointing fingers but he's basically saying someone that had a cold opened the door for them to catch the virus. 😭

FFwd to 2:40 and her face at 2:51 says it all. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SonOfMyFather said:

FFwd to 2:40 and her face at 2:51 says it all. 

😂

It reminds me of the Creature Comforts TV Series from about 15 years ago.

1390365078_tenor(5).gif.a15170323f1d043645ddc1180085f694.gif

59 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

lol

He's in Grimsby they will take one look and not want to hang around

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

lol

He's trapped in Grimsby:tango:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Jeepers, rather take my chances in Wuhan.

• Haha 2

Just now, Bulgaria said:

Jeepers, rather take my chances in Wuhan.

It could be one of the safest places in the world as things stand..

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

I'd rather be in Wuhan. 

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I'd rather be in Wuhan. 

Look above..

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Look above..

Only just seen it. 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I'd rather be in Wuhan. 

Has Wuhan got plenty of IPA and newkie brown?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Only just seen it. 

It's weird times..tell people who are suffering from melancholy to go to my thread and let the world know which Wednesday player they'd like to eat..

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

. They are getting away with it because other global leaders won't challenge Beijing's authority on the premise of damaging trade links. China is a different animal to the past. No longer are they the oppressed in the world community. They are a vibrant, powerful nation and they deem now as the time for retribution for the so called century of humiliation. Be warned!

Yep, how do you stop them though?...cut trade links?

The EU, UK and the US join forces and ban imports. Or perm any two from three.

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's weird times..tell people who are suffering from melancholy to go to my thread and let the world know which Wednesday player they'd like to eat..

Was thinking about your thread earlier, and surely you would eat the fattest player first. One fat player probably eauals three skinny ones. So only one kill needed instead of three. 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Was thinking about your thread earlier, and surely you would eat the fattest player first. One fat player probably eauals three skinny ones. So only one kill needed instead of three. 

Plus you could keep 2 alive until you need them..

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Plus you could keep 2 alive until you need them..

Exactly , a long term food chain .