DeeJayOne

BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Still no chance this season will be completed 

Im happy to bet my stash of 180 packs of loo roll

I wonder if Sky said to the PL, 'play or we don't pay you', a different approach would be considered.

Just now, Animis said:

I wonder if Sky said to the PL, 'play or we don't pay you', a different approach would be considered.

Even then I just can’t see life and society being in any position to accommodate it

10 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Agreed. Just bin off cup competitions next season and make it a shorter season. Could even reduce fixtures next season, up to half.

So we could even start next season in the new year if needed and make it an abbreviated one. This one has gone much too far to cancel it, would be an insult to clubs battling for promotions and Liverpool obviously. It must be completed first before anything else. 

Obviously I'd much prefer it to be cancelled, due to our predicament. But I think the fair and right thing to do is ensure it gets played out to completion.

Exactly right, I just don’t understand the logic of binning off a season that hasn’t finished in favour of one that hasn’t started.  Move the goal posts next season so it’s a fair start for everyone.

The amount of teams who will be peed off with this season being abandoned will be huge 

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

See my reply above

Season ticket holders aren’t due for any refunds due to force majeur or act of god.

Fair enough, just think it’s better for everyone for this season to be completed or it will leave more disappointments than appreciations  

• Like 1

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Exactly right, I just don’t understand the logic of binning off a season that hasn’t finished in favour of one that hasn’t started.  Move the goal posts next season so it’s a fair start for everyone.

The amount of teams who will be peed off with this season being abandoned will be huge 

Again forget what you WANT and look instead at what might be possible

This virus hasn’t even really started to hit yet.

Follow the logic through and then show me how it would be possible to finish this season off because I can’t see a cat in hells chance of it

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Even then I just can’t see life and society being in any position to accommodate it

I'm not sure - the government want a 'managed' curved peak throughout the Spring and Summer, saying sporting events prevented little risk. The sporting authorities have reacted in a way that the chief medical officer didn't want - i.e. mass panic and draconian measures now; at the very start of that curve. They wanted a gradually ramping up of measures that had the most impact, based on people's ability to manage the impact of these measures and not get bored or fatigued by it all. 

The government are likely to force large events to cancel - Glastonbury etc. which I understand is simply down to the ability of the medical services being able to support them, not the risk of infection.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Again forget what you WANT and look instead at what might be possible

This virus hasn’t even really started to hit yet.

Follow the logic through and then show me how it would be possible to finish this season off because I can’t see a cat in hells chance of it

Eh it’s not what I want it’s what’s fair for all clubs.  Good luck telling all the clubs who like their current position this season that it’s being cancelled. Jenas reckons it would be about 50% who disagree with cancelling it. So it will be interesting what happens next week 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Doesn’t matter what clubs think it’s people’s lives we are talking about here. Goes well above football or any other sport. 

If the best option is to void the season and move onto next season as you were, then that’s what will need to happen. 

Who are they going to sue, God?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

This will all be forgotten in a couple of months 

Like it has been with all the other virus related epidemics over the years 

But as humans we love to speculate and anticipate the worst as it makes our lives more exciting 

Well it's one point of view. Not one I agree with but you are entitled to your opinion.

It depends on your age I suppose, if you are young and fit you can probably get it and it won't be too bad. If you are older it depends on how much you like high stakes gambling.

No way can they cancel the season. I'm sorry but there would be riots. Can you imagine telling Liverpool fans that they haven't won the title.

No way can they just hand clubs promotion. Championship, fair enough. Its Leeds and West Brom. But anyone from 1st to 7th in League One could win the title. What happens if the 7th team has played all of the top 13 and only has the bottom 10 to play. You could argue that they are better placed to go up than the team in 2nd who has all of the top teams to play. 

Football would be finished if they don't complete the season. Sporting Integrity requires it. 

Next season will be really different though. All bets are off. 

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Who did? When? Over the past many years they have been saying the opposite due to over prescription... Besides, COVID-19 is a virus

sorry I meant antibiotics wouldn't be able to . 

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Doesn’t matter what clubs think it’s people’s lives we are talking about here. Goes well above football or any other sport. 

If the best option is to void the season and move onto next season as you were, then that’s what will need to happen. 

I understand the rather safe than sorry approach - but the football authorities have gone against the advice of the government. Fair enough, this advice may change, but the precedent is wide-spread as the government will want to control this virus throughout this year and they want people to be infected, albeit in their control way. When the wider world ignores the medical and government advice, it becomes a real free-for-all.

I noticed Notts County were playing at home today in the Nationwide league - probably over 500 fans expected. If it's so important games are cancelled, why is this one? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

There is no chance of resuming this season. Peak virus is expected to be in 10 weeks (playoff time), things are already accelerating. 4th April is out of the question. Whatever anyone thinks the season is over. Revert to 1st August 2019 placings and start again in August assuming the worst is over. Also any FFP rules will have to be waived as EFL clubs (and not just us) will be paying absurd wages to players without any income. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, prowl said:

Well it's one point of view. Not one I agree with but you are entitled to your opinion.

It depends on your age I suppose, if you are young and fit you can probably get it and it won't be too bad. If you are older it depends on how much you like high stakes gambling.

Like all flu-like illnesses then, the old are always the most vulnerable, nothings changed there, like all the other epidemics of the past. The media are going on like it’ll wipe the human race.

if the older generation have any sense they’ll stay indoors, but even today I’ve caught  a train and most bloody people on it are senior 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

Wish they did fight a virus, cos it would be reletively easy to control. Anyone at risk due to age, underlying health conditions etc could be sent an emergency pack to use if they become ill immediately, much less strain on the NHS.

Unfortunately, they are no help for this and could make it worse.

I could do with reading what I write before posting I suppose to put wouldn't not would . anti biotics they have said constantly wouldn't have any effect ,and have been warning about an event like this for some time . its time that china gets its act together ,are they actively trying to finish us all off with there disgusting hygiene practices . this corona virus might be a fairly mild virus the next one could kill 20% of us not under 1% . been reading that someone in Holland might have found a way of stopping this but will take many months to test on humans and then years to develop it. in other words we aint going to saved by medicine. 

44 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Agreed. Just bin off cup competitions next season and make it a shorter season. Could even reduce fixtures next season, up to half.

So we could even start next season in the new year if needed and make it an abbreviated one. This one has gone much too far to cancel it, would be an insult to clubs battling for promotions and Liverpool obviously. It must be completed first before anything else. 

Obviously I'd much prefer it to be cancelled, due to our predicament. But I think the fair and right thing to do is ensure it gets played out to completion.

What about the players whose contracts are up end of June?

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Like all flu-like illnesses then, the old are always the most vulnerable, nothings changed there, like all the other epidemics of the past. The media are going on like it’ll wipe the human race.

if the older generation have any sense they’ll stay indoors, but even today I’ve caught  a train and most bloody people on it are senior 

a lot of old people are plain stupid, my mother wont take any advise and is constantly going on bus to town when she hasn't anything to go there for, wont use hand sanitiser and her friends are saying same to her on phone. if they want to die quick this isn't the way ,struggling to breath and dying suffering aint the way to go. but if they wont listen what can you do. 

The virus will not be effected by cancellations of matches. Both the P/L and EFL have made errors here in my opinion and should have listened to the advice being given. The virus will not be stopped now until its run its course and people's immunities build. The people at risk are the very elderly and already poorly individuals, both which should not have been effected by having the sports programmes continued. 

Can't see any competitive football happening now till next season unless its behind closed doors, which is not ideal.

4 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

a lot of old people are plain stupid, my mother wont take any advise and is constantly going on bus to town when she hasn't anything to go there for, wont use hand sanitiser and her friends are saying same to her on phone. if they want to die quick this isn't the way ,struggling to breath and dying suffering aint the way to go. but if they wont listen what can you do. 

Yep no sympathy unfortunately for people who won’t follow the rules. They can’t obviously value their health that much 

3 minutes ago, scram said:

What about the players whose contracts are up end of June?

Who are they going to move to? Which club in their right mind would take on new players when they have no income coming in if they are not playing?