Jump to content
DeeJayOne

BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

This will all be forgotten in a couple of months 

 

Like it has been with all the other virus related epidemics over the years 

 

But as humans we love to speculate and anticipate the worst as it makes our lives more exciting 

 

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be in favour of calling the whole season off and starting again, basically to put an end to the entire sh*tshow that we have endured this season

 

Surely it won’t happen though 9 games before the end 

 

My guess is that it’ll finish behind closed doors from May until the end of June. The euros will be moved to 2021. The season will start in late September with next years domestic cup competitions abandoned completely to ease fixture congestion 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

More like a couple of years, but you’re right yes 

 

All the conspiracies just ultimately make people look stupid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imperial College believe they've found a cure already and wish the Government to invest in human trials that are now necessary. Already worked on mice. Would still be a year or so before becoming available to the public.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, the third man said:

 

But what about teams, like us, who have players out of contract who are no where near the first team, would we have to continue to pay them past there contract end date?

 

and what about the impact it will have on next season, starting the season two months late and still having to finish on time for the Euros, which wont be played this year?


Hopefully it won’t be extended for long, maybe the season can be finished in June and July behind closed doors if necessary.  I find it crazy people think forgetting about this season is the best option but just my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

in my opinion this season HAS to be completed and players contracts extended till it ends.  

 

You can't just force a player - or a club - to extend a contract (particularly if either party don't want to for whatever reason).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:


There would be law suits all other the place if they write this season off.  What about Coventry who are finally close to returning to the top 2 leagues?

or Norwich who have got to an fa cup quarter  final?

Or wolves who are close to champions league places?

 

i notice teams like West Ham are shock horror in favour of the season being null and void.  I doubt everyone will feel the same 

 

in my opinion this season HAS to be completed and players contracts extended till it ends.  

 

Next season as arguably more of a right to start, than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

 

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

 

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.

Edited by The Night-Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’d be in favour of calling the whole season off and starting again, basically to put an end to the entire sh*tshow that we have endured this season

 

Surely it won’t happen though 9 games before the end 

 

My guess is that it’ll finish behind closed doors from May until the end of June. The euros will be moved to 2021. The season will start in late September with next years domestic cup competitions abandoned completely to ease fixture congestion 

 

Think they should just let all the clubs have one bit each suspend or cancel. Fair enough, also stops EFL making decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Animis said:

 

I understand your point, but I believe this current concern/hysteria is because this virus is new and there's no current vaccine. I feel this will just become part of the fabric of society in future and people will become less concerned and accept it's the norm.

 

We've been doing this with winter flue for decades, with UK deaths alone at 300K or so. This is hardly reported and we certainly don't shut down half the country between Oct-March every year.

 

We should be focusing on the very vulnerable as it's them that will feel the full force of this, and as long as the 99% of the population, who will suffer only a minor inconvenience, focus on this point we should be able to manage the impact.

at last someone talking sense. maybe the media should report how many world deaths since dec 1st caused by other virus,flu,hospital bugs . probably well over 1000x more . all we come do is protect the frail,elderly as best as possible other than that just get on with life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

 

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

Edited by WelshOwl74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

 

I have argued the same thing. From a purely logical perspective if we had a global coro-19 party, like when we were kids and everybody went to see the kids with chicken pox, so that everybody caught it. We would all get a good dose of the infection. Different people would react in different ways depending on how healthy they are, how strong their immune system is etc, but a lot of people that would catch it would die. The rest would recover and that would be the end of it.

 

If the ones likely to die do not come into contact with the virus, then when everybody else has recovered and had a good hose down, again after a safe period of a couple of weeks or so, that should be the end of it. What we are doing now is just buying a bit of time before an antidote, or treatment can be found, or mass produced, so that people can be immunised or fortified with something that reduces the effects. According to the film that theowlsman posted, there are several things being tested at the moment that show promise in lab tests. This just needs to be moved out into testing on actual sufferers of the virus and then into production, so things may calm down a bit soon, depending on how quickly all the drug manufacturers can react. Interesting times we live in though. 

 

It will be interesting how governments react to licensing for any in-trial or early stages antidote. They are notoriously slow and cautious, for obvious and not so obvious reasons, but I suspect this will get fast tracked without the normal due-diligence and checks and balance. Good time to buy shares in a drug company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

 

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

 

That would be a joke and would set a dangerous precedent. There have been teams denied things before due to war, conflicts and bans, etc. If the competitions can't be completed and clubs can't complete their fixtures, then it should be cancelled and abandoned. This season is a write off as it's increasingly impossible to complete it before next season should start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

 

Next season as more of a right to start than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

 

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

 

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.


Your first point is exactly what I don’t agree with. Personally I feel this season has a right to be completed, more than next season that hasn’t happened.  I wonder how Owls fans would feel if we were in the top two and looking like certainties for promotion this season.  I reckon there would be more saying this season should be completed.
 

Anyway it’s all about opinions, it’s definitely a mess for the authorities to sort out. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

 

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

A better idea is we start again next season in same leagues , this season null and void but the FA and EFL send one of those plastic medals and a nice certificate to Liverpool , Leeds etc saying ‘team who tried really hard 19/20’ . A good solution for everyone .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

 

I'm not sure that the family members of the 5,000 dead (so far) would agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

 

Weatbrom and Leeds promoted 

 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

 

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 


Then we can all rip on Liverpool and Leeds fans for years for not really winning anything. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

 

Next season as more of a right to start than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

 

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

 

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.

if we restarted this season in sept and scrap next season ,every club would go bust ,every tv company would go bust ,the job losses would be huge . all this shutdown locking us in our homes is bloody pathetic . the knock on effect of everything whats been done throughout the world will have huge lasting effect on peoples way of life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

 

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 


What about league 1? The top two will feel they should be promoted too if that’s the same for Leeds and WBA.  Then there’s Wycombe who have a game in hand that could take them second if they won.  It’s a mess 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Owls-Fan said:


Your first point is exactly what I don’t agree with. Personally I feel this season has a right to be completed, more than next season that hasn’t happened.  I wonder how Owls fans would feel if we were in the top two and looking like certainties for promotion this season.  I reckon there would be more saying this season should be completed.
 

Anyway it’s all about opinions, it’s definitely a mess for the authorities to sort out. 

 

 

 

My point is that if this season can't be completed, then it's ridiculous to delay pre-season and next season, just for the good of a few teams. Teams have missed out before due to European bans, conflicts and war, etc. Life and health is far more important than sport. Did they delay the Euro's for Yugoslavia? Or award teams when competitions couldn't be completed? Have they ever honoured teams that were banned or couldn't complete their fixtures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they cancel the season the pigs will probably sue because they could have caught Liverpool lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...