BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

8 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I’m sure someone else will have done the maths but on current calculations, using a worse case scenario of 80% of the UK catching coronavirus, using the UK population figure from 2018 of 66,500,000, and a death rate of 1%, just over half a million people in the UK are going to pop their clogs.

On the same basis, 1% of Owlstalkers are likely to croak it.

The only question is who will start the official Owls Talkers RIP thread?

An Owlstalk Deadpool?

• Haha 2

With peak infection predicted for May/June, no guarantee games will resume. It then becomes an issue for clubs to field teams, once players contracts end,  most expire 1st June?

Fairest outcome in that situation would be to void the season, start again as were. Another get out of jail card for us, considering our form. 

Suspect decisions will be driven by Sky, the puppet masters of EPL, EFL, be interesting to see what Sky find to talk about with no sport happening!

Edited by striker

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Was this planned?

What like an EFL plan to stop players from grabbing hold of other players? I reckon you could stop all that shirt pulling malarkey by making all the players (apart from goalies), wear very slippery padded mittens that just slide off your average top quality football shirt.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I’ve just got the all clear from a cancer scare. Would be just my luck to croak it too after avoiding cancer.

But at least my knee op went well, so it’s not all bad news.

Also on the plus side, knees are not thought to be affected by coronavirus.....................................................................................at present :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Can see DC employing an army of taxidermists ready to preserve the Elderly south stand fan base. Better than more empty blue seats. :tango:

He's been stuffing us all very slowly for five years now. Didn't you wonder what all that sawdust was doing in the pies?

😷

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

What like an EFL plan to stop players from grabbing hold of other players? I reckon you could stop all that shirt pulling malarkey by making all the players (apart from goalies), wear very slippery padded mittens that just slide off your average top quality football shirt.

Are you drunk?

I think we enough of the way through the season to adopt something similar to the Lewis & Duckworth method in cricket.

Something like Points/Games to give you an average Points per Game total for the season so far and re-adjust the league table accordingly. Whilst it would be amusing for fans who don't support those clubs, imagine Liverpool missing out on their first league title in 30 years, Leeds missing a return to the Premier League, etc. by just voiding the season.

Don't know if there is a precedent - seasons interrupted by war, etc?

Things happen for a reason, nature is an amazing thing.

The planet is over-populated. There isn’t enough food for us all when you look at future population predictions.

Nature is doing its thing to redress the balance.

There could be 65,000,000 deaths worldwide according to one leading virologist from Hong Kong I listened to on YouTube last night.

But its not all bad news, they may have found a cure. Been proven using tests in test tubes with infected cells. Hydroxychloroquine is what they think the answer is but needs to be tested with volunteers. Something to do with zinc ionophores.

Edited by theowlsman

The season is over, like how are they going to catch up the fixtures? Realistically? By the time the suspension is over, the virus might be worse here, we're not even at its peak here yet. I don't see how the season can be finished, along with the Euro's; other competitions, pre-season and next season, how do they fit it all in? The season may as well be cancelled/ended as it is now. 

14 minutes ago, OwlOnWheels said:

this suspension is as much about the viability of games being played as protecting the fans. If on member of the squad or stead gets it, every member of the squad and staff is at higher risk. Can a team who should be isolating be expected to field as team still. The only option is suspension, the risks to those involved at each club would be just as high if behind closed doors.

Your right regards closed doors it would be just same risk, thats why we wont see any football for a very long time , as to have games behind closed doors would mean masses watching in pubs in enclosed places which are much much more likely to catch it , nobody knows whats going to happen , season might end end starting back in june , or could be totally scrapped. There wont be any football in 3 weeks absolutely wont be happening. 

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I think we enough of the way through the season to adopt something similar to the Lewis & Duckworth method in cricket.

Something like Points/Games to give you an average Points per Game total for the season so far and re-adjust the league table accordingly. Whilst it would be amusing for fans who don't support those clubs, imagine Liverpool missing out on their first league title in 30 years, Leeds missing a return to the Premier League, etc. by just voiding the season.

Don't know if there is a precedent - seasons interrupted by war, etc?

We could just take the first half of the seasons results and base the league table on that.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyhow Owls Talkers, we’ve got to retain a sense of humour through all this, and look after each other, else we’re cream crackered.

Just saying, don’t stress. Nowt you can do about it anyhow, just go with the flow and keep your fingers crossed.

Heard today that the virus doesn’t last long on surfaces either, but carry on washing your hands anyhow. 

And if you must wear a facemask thingy you need an N95 product endorsed by NIOSH. Others are a waste of time

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Things happen for a reason, nature is an amazing thing.

The planet is over-populated. There isn’t enough food for us all when you look at future population predictions.

Nature is doing its thing to redress the balance.

There could be 65,000,000 deaths worldwide according to one leading virologist from Hong Kong I listened to on YouTube last night.

But its not all bad news, they may have found a cure. Been proven using tests in test tubes with infected cells. Hydroxychloroquine is what they think the answer is but needs to be tested with volunteers. Something to do with zinc ionophores.

Yes we were thinking the same when this first started. We had just watched the terrifying Chris Packham Horizon programme, "7.7 Billion People and Rising", which showed you how the population was rising so rapidly that we would soon be crawling all over each other like a box of maggots and struggle to eat drink and breathe as a consequence.

We will need a few more than 65M to snuff it, if we are going to curb the population explosion. Most of those old folk that die will just be see as freeing up a bit of extra space for more kids, unless we take control like they did back in China a few decades back. 

image.thumb.png.ccbc2e2f4da36ae4a836266939e83ef3.png

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes we were thinking the same when this first started. We had just watched the terrifying Chris Packham Horizon programme, "7.7 Billion People and Rising", which showed you how the population was rising so rapidly that we would soon be crawling all over each other like a box of maggots and struggle to eat drink and breathe as a consequence.

We will need a few more than 65M to snuff it, if we are going to curb the population explosion. Most of those old folk that die will just be see as freeing up a bit of extra space for more kids, unless we take control like they did back in China a few decades back. 

image.thumb.png.ccbc2e2f4da36ae4a836266939e83ef3.png

One of the drivers behind pushing the space race, getting out there to find other places to live.

There’s a rumour we’ve already cracked space travel, that UFOs have actually been built here on Earth by us mere humans, and we’re already out there in the Universe exploring.

I’m prepared to listen to anything and keep my mind open to all these theories. You just never know nowadays, who’d have thought we’d be looking at a Pandemic for real.