A12owl

Will the Forrest match be cancelled?

4 minutes ago, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

Do the right thing,    and call it off.  

I don't think there is a case for that yet. The next logical step would be playing without allowing supporters in. But it seems only a matter of time before players and coaches start testing positive and then the league is faced with some major problems. The suspension of the NBA is one thing, but with all the promotion, relegation, play-off and cup issues in our format it opens up a vast minefield of interests where just about any proposed 'solution' will annoy a large number of clubs, leading to a potential bonanza for the legal profession.

22 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I don't think there is a case for that yet. The next logical step would be playing without allowing supporters in. But it seems only a matter of time before players and coaches start testing positive and then the league is faced with some major problems. The suspension of the NBA is one thing, but with all the promotion, relegation, play-off and cup issues in our format it opens up a vast minefield of interests where just about any proposed 'solution' will annoy a large number of clubs, leading to a potential bonanza for the legal profession.

In the bigger picture what does it matter about promotion, relegation or anything else to do with football. 

People's lives are in danger. All unnecessary gatherings should be banned. 

If every banned gathering potentially prevents 1 person contracting the virus which could prevent worse it would be worth it. 

• Like 1

With Arteta testing positive, I think tomorrow we will see all games stopped.

Posted (edited)

This season will be suspended until mid-April. 

The Euros will be pushed out until 2021 and Leagues will be asked to finish up the games with an extended season 

European competitions will get cancelled

Edited by McRightSide

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This. Premier League holding an emergency meeting tomorrow. All games will be postponed and EFL will follow suit.

Clubs cannot put out full squads and it is totally wrong to expect vulnerable fans to attend games which many would do out of loyalty. 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don't fully agree but think this may well be the tipping point to games being cancelled. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, apswfcowl said:

Clubs cannot put out full squads and it is totally wrong to expect vulnerable fans to attend games which many would do out of loyalty. 

The most vulnerable fans are the more mature people. As I have said in other threads. 

Everybody has a choice. Nobody HAS to go anywhere. The mature people are in a better position to make decisions not to go. 

They are not lemmings or sheep. 

Surely tomorrow is a bit too soon to cancel all this weekends games?

I hope so anyway. My first game for a long time and was looking forward to a good session before and after.

8 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Everybody has a choice. Nobody HAS to go anywhere. The mature people are in a better position to make decisions not to go. 

Then the kids / grandkids etc...come round after the match and say, ya missed another shyte performance grandad...

3 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Surely tomorrow is a bit too soon to cancel all this weekends games?

I hope so anyway

You wouldn't be saying that if you had what I have...

6 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Then the kids / grandkids etc...come round after the match and say, ya missed another shyte performance grandad...

I assume you intended that as a joke. 

It would sensible if the grandkids decided to send grandad a text or phone call. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This season will be suspended until mid-April. 

The Euros will be pushed out until 2021 and Leagues will be asked to finish up the games with an extended season 

European competitions will get cancelled

It’s not expected to peak in the UK for 3 months so how could they restart in mid April?

Once they stop it looks like that’ll be it until June at least 

7 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

It’s not expected to peak in the UK for 3 months so how could they restart in mid April?

Once they stop it looks like that’ll be it until June at least 

Because they won't want to cancel straight away.

That means they need to decide the ramifications of that decision now, but they need much more time for that.

8 hours ago, A12owl said:

I assume you intended that as a joke. 

It would sensible if the grandkids decided to send grandad a text or phone call. 

:ph34r:

Season will be cancelled, null and void. They will have no other choice. Looking at the teams who will be most gutted, Leeds, pigs and Liverpool, every cloud etc..

That would be funny. Hopefully they give us a 21 point deduction the day before they void it 

8 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Season will be cancelled, null and void. They will have no other choice. Looking at the teams who will be most gutted, Leeds, pigs and Liverpool, every cloud etc..

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I agree. Pointless to postpone football for a month. The virus will still be around and attendance at mass events will just lead to the infection rates increasing again after a brief lull. It's why school closures for a short period won't have much effect. Football would need to be cancelled for 12 to 16 weeks to be in any way meaningful. That means the season will have to be called as null and void. That's if the authorities actually want to protect the vulnerable rather than limit the financial damage. So, which is it to be?

Edited by Jaybeeowl

3 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

I agree. Pointless to postpone football for a month. The virus will still be around and attendance at mass events will just lead to the infection rates increasing again after a brief lull. It's why school closures for a short period won't have much effect. Football would need to be cancelled for 12 to 16 weeks to be in any way meaningful. That means the season will have to be called as null and void. That's if the authorities actually want to protect the vulnerable rather than limit the financial damage. So, which is it to be?

Finance first, that's the way they're making it look anyhow. 

11 minutes ago, SupremeOwl said:

Finance first, that's the way they're making it look anyhow. 

Disagree with this. Although they should cancel football, close schools etc, they haven’t done so yet, as this is going to get a whole lot better worse. They are trying to maintain normality and enthusiasm for restrictions as long as possible. Schools will close soon, when we are closer to the peak. If you close schools now, the novelty will wear off in 2 weeks and they will be in the parks, right at the peak of the virus.